Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Punching Power

Punching Power

Ok for those of you who train at home do you think that using a 3 section wall bag helps you build power in your punching?
    Also what do you find is the best thing to fill them with beans or rice? do you pack each section with the same amount or fill them as if you were hitting body parts ie: head , chest and stomach
    I'm just trying to get as much info on this subject as possable

Thanx for any replies!

hehe

Beans are by far the best...just don't get the ones in the can!!!

beans

I filled a couple socks full of beans, they work well.
    "The object is not to hurt someone else, but to stop them from hurting you."

"Fighting is not hitting, any fool can hit. Fighting is making the other guy miss. He misses, he gets scarred."

"Nudity and violence are what make a good movie. Violent lesbian nudity makes a great movie." - GDA

- Where's my Mook?

Do your air punching,work on your form of the punch,do it slow...

Thats all I have to say...
    IXIJoeKaveyIXI

If Wing Chun was a man, he would be The Man...

I use a 3 section bag a few times a week and find it helps quite a bit, not just with generating the power but also how to accept it. my bag is filled with sand and they all filled the same amount which is quite full. theres another good thread about wall bags you should do a search, theres probly a few.

Thumbs up power

What Joe said

Gary

Mung beans are probably the best, but I've never seen them for sale anywhere, so I'd probably use kidney beans I guess (I think that's what they are.. they're like grey colored).

IronFist
    "If you like metal you're my friend" -- Manowar

"I am the cosmic storms, I am the tiny worms" -- Dimmu Borgir

<BombScare> i beat the internet
    <BombScare> the end guy is hard.

Arrow

Agreed with Martial Joe.
    Break it down and distill the form of the punch, eliminate any unessesary tension, movement, telegraph, etc.
    Practice it slow for a while and then work on adding quick explosive power. Work to develop fast twitch mucsle quality in the air first, do lots of fast reps once the technique is correct.
    Not that hitting pads is bad, it can be good too, but the answer to speed is not in the beans, its in perfecting your strike; hitting a pad or bags before thats honed will only corrupt your technique, IMHO.
    Last edited by MutantWarrior; 03-11-2002 at 12:32 PM.

Try doing it slow enough so you cant see it move while keeping it relaxed and having good form...

Do that everynight and you will hurt poeple...
    IXIJoeKaveyIXI

Bags are for conditionning the hands and don't make your punches more powerfull. Good technique as found in the forms will give you punching power.
    Doing pushups and things like that develop muscles that can be usefull when you are moving furnitures around or if you are practicing a sport but again,you won't need those to throw a good Wing Chun punch.

So listen to me you silly yuppies!!!!
    IXIJoeKaveyIXI

nothing will build power except for good technique.
    power can be developed in the air alone but using a bag is a good way to test everything stance, alignment & a whole heap of other things.
    your main benifits on a bag will be being able to handle the force of hitting something solid & developing a strong wrist & forearm(both of which have a real tendencey to be hurt during a fight due to the target not just standing still & waiting to be hit) due to the return force the bag sends back at you.
    vts
    [disclaimer- i am about to be rude, antagonistic & terribly offensive- but i love ya's all]

Too Bad you guys.........if you train with the bags it DOES actually help develop power!!! guys don't miss the boat!...LOL

Hey Roy!.
    Looks like you are all alone on the deck of your boat!...We all missed it!

Well Old Jong, no need for the insults now. Just should investigate before making your answers.