Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Punching Power

In Xingyi, ,Bagua, and Tai Chi, our school teaches the rotation of the waist for whole body power in the punches.

BTW, you know in junior high, when you used to trade punches with a guy to the arm? You know, one guy stands there and lets the other slug him as hard as he wants, then they take turns until one has had enough? I learned from a karate book a straight power punch, where you rotate the hips into the punch, while turning over the fist. I blasted the **** out of everybody using that one. Nobody could beat me. Pretty stupid, but at the time it seemed pretty mature!!! The point is, if you do it right, your Karate punch can deliver quite a viscious blow!

The power comes from the ground and is magnified through the knees, hips, waist and shoulders - it explodes out of the hand.

Strikes can also be performed with minimal hip movement using tension in the waist (a lot like coiling a spring). Maybe that's what your instructor was getting at.

If you wanna find out for yourself, join in on a few CMA classes - it can't hurt (well unless you get punched in the head).
    Adam Stanecki - Practitioner of common sense.

"Think for yourself. Question authority." - Timothy Leary

Fluid Fitness - www.fluidfitness.com.au
    Dominance Mixed Martial Arts - www.dominance.com.au

What GDA said about doing your form very slowly with complete intent and concentration. That and well like I said in another post, use steel rings, oh and good body mechanics of course.

PuNcHiNg PoWeR

Right wing chun tech headz, listen up.
    i need your help on puching power, wing chun styleé.
    i study wing chun, but, i am starting to wonder how to increase my punching power by using my whole bodyweight right? except, without leaning forward too much and becoming off balance,,,, i.e. how do you punch using your whole body weight whilst maintaining 60-40 stance (arrow walk/ circle step)??? (mainly straight punches,, u know, chain-punch type)
    any advice would be much appreciated.
    cheers
    thehza

PuNcHiNg PoWeR

i need your help on puching power.
    i study wing chun, but i am starting to wonder how to increase my punching power by using my whole bodyweight? except, without leaning forward too much and becoming off balance,,,, i.e. how do you punch using your whole body weight whilst maintaining 60-40 stance (arrow walk/ circle step)??? (mainly straight punches,, u know, chain-punch type)
    Now if you don't study wing chun, don't bail on me,,,,,, i still am interested to know the concept of powerful punch techniques for whatever punch....
    any advice would be much appreciated.
    cheers
    thehza

heya at the gym i train at , im taught to keep the weight 50/50, but we do lots of pad and bag work.

Jack Dempseys book might give you some ideas:

http://www.freewebs.com/strulz/jackdempseysbook.htm

Within the context of a Ving Tsun training methodology, the way to increase your punching power is to practice BiuKwan, BiuKwan, and more BiuKwan.

You have working on all the prerequisite steps to prepare yourself for this moment, right?

When you control the hands and feet, there are no secrets.
    http://www.Moyyat.com

To increase your punching power, start by rotating your sternum. If you are punching with your right, and have your left foot forward, your sternum will be at the right angle. When you punch (with the right) turn your sternum to the opposite side.

As this improves, you'll need to start using your hip. But, this will do for now.

Also, start this exercise program;

http://www.noweightsworkout.com/exercises/armgrabs.php

I hope this helps.

thank you kindly dudes,,,keep the info comin'
    hza

fisrt off, buy a heavy bag. the best way to get better at punching is to punch. Second, always watch your form. Consciously think "foot, hip, shoulder" when you punch. you drive off of the foot, rotate the hip, then put your shoulder into it.

in thai boxing or boxing, there is also the concept of sitting down on your punches.
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

In wing chun, you rotate the hip but the shoulder doesn't rotate past the hip more than an inch or two, unlike a boxing cross. The most important points are to coordinate the step with the hip rotation, sink, and keep the elbow and shoulder down. Use a heavy bag and focus mitts to develop power and pop, respectively.

To echo Tom and say some more:

1.Candle Punch
    2.Sand Bag
    3.Battle Punch
    4.Pole-Thrusting

Making your punch effective and strong takes a lot of time and patience. I believe that if you practise a little by little - eventually the power will come to where you want it.

I want to be able to blow through my seniors in Chi Sao...now! But it'll never happen. If I'm busy wanting something...I'm not in the moment training something. Practise the drills your instructor has given you and over time...the power will come. Don't force the power through the punch either...or it will be too stiff or you won't be able to relax the body after the punch.

Now that's getting philosophical on my ass!

Peace,
    Kenton
    “An ounce of action is worth a ton of theory.” – Friedrich Engels

Quote Originally Posted by SevenStar
    in thai boxing or boxing, there is also the concept of sitting down on your punches.
    Can you explain that please?
    "If you like metal you're my friend" -- Manowar

"I am the cosmic storms, I am the tiny worms" -- Dimmu Borgir

<BombScare> i beat the internet
    <BombScare> the end guy is hard.

Hello hazhardy,

I had a phone conversation with the late Fred M.A. Wu many years ago where he was kind enough to talk to me about the training at the training institute that he went to. He told me that there practitioners were quite creative in their studies and as a result new styles were being developed. It was a beautiful time. He told me of a style that one of his friends had developed that was very powerful and terribly effective. It was called....drum roll please......WING CHUN XING YI!!! Wing Chun combined with the Xing Yi, power of the body, punching mechanics.

I have been holding on to that bit of info for over 15 years just to share with someone. You are the first to get it. Maybe I need to get out more.

mickey
    Last edited by mickey; 06-17-2005 at 04:28 PM.