Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Punching Power

Quote Originally Posted by 7th gen yang
    Here's a Little test for you
    Stand up straight feet shoulder width apart
    take and raise your right or left arm to shoulder height in front of yourself
    have someone push the Raised arm down try to resist

now take your right or left arm which ever you used, and take the other arm and place it on the opposite shoulder of the arm you raised palm resting on the shoulder
    now raise the opposing arm to shoulder height and have somebody try to push it down try to resist, tell me where your power comes from?
    You've just proved that your anterior deltoid (front shoulder muscle) is responsible for holding your arm up and resisting gravity (a force pressing downward in this case). When you punch the effort with which you must resist gravity is very minimal. Does your shoulder play a role in punching? Absolutely. Is it the most important muscle? No. Even if you increase your power in this position it likely wouldn't contribute much to a harder punch. When you punch you're resisting a force in front of you, not a force pushing down from above.
    "If you like metal you're my friend" -- Manowar

"I am the cosmic storms, I am the tiny worms" -- Dimmu Borgir

<BombScare> i beat the internet
    <BombScare> the end guy is hard.

Quote Originally Posted by IronFist
    You've just proved that your anterior deltoid (front shoulder muscle) is responsible for holding your arm up and resisting gravity (a force pressing downward in this case). When you punch the effort with which you must resist gravity is very minimal. Does your shoulder play a role in punching? Absolutely. Is it the most important muscle? No. Even if you increase your power in this position it likely wouldn't contribute much to a harder punch. When you punch you're resisting a force in front of you, not a force pushing down from above.
    what is really happening is you have crossed the center of your body with your other arm and the structure of your body is not lined up. This is why you cannot massage yourself without any kind of real power. same holds true to your technique the structure of the human body is important to your power everything has to line up if it just a little off you will not have power this also holds true to Taijiquan Look at the technique of (peng)

I agree with sevenstar, to punch better, punch more, and work on form.

When I was in thai boxing they would always emphasize snapping your hand back after a punch. I believe this helped become more explosive, faster, but more importantly, better protected.

Anyone can put their fulll weight behind a punch given a bit of form work, but what position does that leave them in afterwards?

As the rest have said already in here, a punch involves virtually the whole body. You are planted and driving with legs, rotating/exploding with your hips, extending with your triceps and part of the deltoid, and trying to pull back as fast as you can, which would be biceps/forearm/delts.

So if you are using your whole body in this motion, strengthen your whole body, other than that, just get good at punching. There is almost a limitless amount of improvement you can make. No matter how fundamentally good your jab or cross is, you can always improve it on it's own, or in a variety of new combinations.
    Vegetables are what food eats.

Our WINTER 2019 issue

READ The Punching Power of Chinese Wushu & Other Disciplines By Emilio Alpanseque in our WINTER 2019 issue. Available digitally too via Zinio.

Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart