Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Snake Style Kung Fu

cool. the leg take down was nice. what was that crazy pushing the head to the floor bit she did in the beginning? that must require good structure to get the power needed.

Sixthvenom

I think Jackie's snake style was pretty much his own made-up-for-the-movies interpretation, like his drunken style. He has roots in CMA obviously, but most of his stuff is highly dramatized to read from the silver screen. I've never heard of him actually studying from a snake style master. Correct me if I'm wrong...
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Gene, I'm curious about the Snake form in the Yun Tsen Xiang video.

Is it really Wudang Snake or is it just a Wushu form?

The omei/wushu form is the same one that appeared in "This is Kungfu" video isn't it?

I remember seeing it the first time on it with that girl in tight green spandex. I can never take it seriously after that. But man that girl was hot.
    http://individual.utoronto.ca/gfx/logo1.jpg

"A witty saying proves nothing."
    - Voltaire (1694-1778)

From what I was told Jackie Chan's snake style although made up was based on a style known as:

Sei Ying Dew Sao

This style had a famous sifu in Hong Kong who died quite a while ago. I'll have to ask his name again but from what I was told this is a northern system of snake.

Peace.

We have snake in the five animals stuff taught in Pai Lum.
    My school: http://pailumwarrior.com/

Originally posted by emre
    Gene, I'm curious about the Snake form in the Yun Tsen Xiang video.

Is it really Wudang Snake or is it just a Wushu form?
    I had that video years ago but I sold it on eBay. It's some guy who can do a nice flowing snake form but you're not going to be able to fight with it. When he "teaches" the form on the tape, he breaks it down into sections and tries to teach some white guy how to do it. I forgot the white guy's name, but I've seen this guy be totally made fun of before on other sites. In fact, it may have been this site. I think that white guy had a bunch of stupid kung fu videos on amazon.com. If the videos weren't stupid, at least the pictures on the covers were stupid. I guess he has a lot of crappy kung fu videos out. Anyway, the form is cool to watch, but parts of it are kind of slow and like I said, while there are "theoretical" martial applications that might work against a willing attacker who only throws one punch and then leaves his arm out there, it won't work in real life.
    "If you like metal you're my friend" -- Manowar

"I am the cosmic storms, I am the tiny worms" -- Dimmu Borgir

<BombScare> i beat the internet
    <BombScare> the end guy is hard.

Does the Snake style in 5 Deadly venoms exist at all?

In what dialect does "sil" mean small?

cantonese? (with a lisp)
    practice wu de

Actually I bored everyone to death. Even Buddhist and Taoist monks fell asleep.....SPJ

Forums are no fun if I can't mess with your head. Or your colon...
    uh-oh, I hope no one quotes me on that....Gene Ching

I'm not Normal.... RD on his crying my b!tch left me thread

Snake Style...

Hello, fellow martial artists. I'm new to the forums. My main martial art is Ninjitsu, a style based highly off of various types of Kung Fu. Some time ago I saw some snake style kung fu in action. I can't find anywhere around the Cincinnatti area that teaches it! I thought I might start with a form video. Is Helen Liang's Snake Fist Form a good video? Please send me your input.

Thanks,
    Sacktavius

P.S. Where can you get a mainly green kung fu uniform?

lol
    u wanna be a snake fighter?

I wouldn't be surprised if there really is a traditional snake style, and I honestly don't know if Liang's style is just that. But I've only seen modern Wushu ''snake styles'' claiming to be traditional. If you seek up a 5 Animal system, snake is part of it. Even in the internal art Hsing-I there is snake.

Seems to me you are more interested in looking like a snake than learning any real fighting arts. What exactly are you expecting to learn? Animal based arts isn't about mimicing the animals, they are about fighting just like most CMA.
    All right now, son, I want you to get a good night's rest. And remember, I could murder you while you sleep.
    Hey son, I bought you a puppy today after work. But then I killed it and ate it! Hahah, I´m just kidding. I would never buy you a puppy.

"Three witches watch three Swatch watches. Which witch watch which Swatch watch?"

"Three switched witches watch three Swatch watch switches. Which switched witch watch which Swatch watch switch?."

btw here's a little research on the subject:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Snake_Kung_Fu
    All right now, son, I want you to get a good night's rest. And remember, I could murder you while you sleep.
    Hey son, I bought you a puppy today after work. But then I killed it and ate it! Hahah, I´m just kidding. I would never buy you a puppy.

"Three witches watch three Swatch watches. Which witch watch which Swatch watch?"

"Three switched witches watch three Swatch watch switches. Which switched witch watch which Swatch watch switch?."

Quote Originally Posted by Sacktavius
    Hello, fellow martial artists. I'm new to the forums. My main martial art is Ninjitsu, a style based highly off of various types of Kung Fu. Some time ago I saw some snake style kung fu in action. I can't find anywhere around the Cincinnatti area that teaches it! I thought I might start with a form video. Is Helen Liang's Snake Fist Form a good video? Please send me your input.

Thanks,
    Sacktavius

P.S. Where can you get a mainly green kung fu uniform?
    A. Ninjutsu is a Japanese art. I studied it exclusivly for 8 years and continue to practice, though my focus is now on Kung Fu.

B. You can find snake incorporated into almost all animal-based styles. If you cant find a school that teaches it exclusively, you might try that route. It will take alot of time, but you will eventually get enough snake style to create a functional sparring sytem for personal use.

C. Green isn't one of the more common colors. But lucky you, there also isn't a set "uniform" for Kung Fu. It mostly depends on the school/group and personal preferences. If all you can find is a Gi, get a Gi and dye it green.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oso View Post
    you're kidding? i would love to drink that beer just BECAUSE it's in a dead animal...i may even pick up the next dead squirrel i see and stuff a budweiser in it

Heh, heh. I think he wants green so he can look like a snake....
    Time
    Slips through fingers
    Like this world of dust