Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Snake Style Kung Fu

Snake Style Kung Fu

WHere can i learn more about snake style kung fu,whether it be websites or videos or people or places or books i just want information on it, =] thanks!

-rusty,aka Myith ,snake stylist

me again

even if you dont know where does anyone have any comment on snake style ? or any good kung fu websites that might have it

=P its hard to get ahold of

-rusty

Stacey Guest
    Thank the commies. The killed all the old masters of it. Shi Yan Ming does commie snake fist. Nothing like old school. Just as well, its a style for...little shaven men that spend time on their knees.

Do northern longfist.

Seriously, its more important to find a good master, than the style. You don't know what a style is untill you learn it. The idea you have in your head is the public display. Its foolish to say, "well I'm short and fat, so white crane wont work for me." The truth is, you have no idea untill you learn.

Learn Choy Li Fut, or Hsing I or Hung Gar. Find something that STILL has a good fighting rep.

I was going to say...look in the ezine archives at this site by clicking the logo in the top left corner then choosing ezine in the menu.

But I just looked and there are no archived articles anymore.

Cest la vie
    peace
    Last edited by Kung Lek; 03-11-2002 at 05:30 PM.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Question

SnakeZephyr, why the interest in snake style?
    Adam Stanecki - Practitioner of common sense.

"Think for yourself. Question authority." - Timothy Leary

Fluid Fitness - www.fluidfitness.com.au
    Dominance Mixed Martial Arts - www.dominance.com.au

This site carries two snake videos. I have one, it comes up in discussion some time. It's their older one made by Bob Klein's video productions. Alot of people don't like Bob Klein, but it's not him doing it it's the other guy a chinese guy whose name I can't recall. It's an internal style from Wudang Mountain. I think it is what's you'd call chen style tai chi. They do the form and then go over it and talk about it for like 90 minutes!! It's very advanced but very cool. There's a newer video done by Helen Liang that is the Emei mt style. They're both internal styles. Check out the old kung fu film "Snake Deadly Act" if you get the chance, it's cool.

snake style

There's an old taoist monk in Boston that knows Snake style, he learned it from an old-school snake master in China....don't know if he'd teach it to you, he'd probably make you do chi gung until you got bored, first.
    I know Sifu Larry Adams in St. Louis teaches snake style.

Don't bother with videos, can't really learn from them (unless youre just looking for trivia)
    Ever see Snake in the Eagles Shadow? (old Jackie Chan flick) thats a classic.

Maybe join a Hung Ga school, they teach some snake in their 5 animal form.

Mutantwarrior- You can't learn as much from a video as you could in person, but with something like snake style, it may be a more realistic choice. Plus, seeing something demonstrated and gone over on video can teach you way more than. say, reading this message board.
    Also, who is the taoist snake maser in Boston? I live here and would love to meet him.

I used to do a lot of looking on the internet for information on snake style and didn't come up with much. I also have the same video that jun_erh talked about. It's ok, I've never taken the time to learn the form because I can't watch a video anywhere where there is enough space to do a form. good luck man.
    I am nothing.

Hi jun_erh,

The taost master is named Kwan Sihung. He's in his eighties, but he's still in good shape and teaches every week in a park, I think the Boston Commons or Public Garder, but I'm not certain where he teaches now. He has a sunday morning class. I took a 60 hour seminar with him about 4 1/2 years ago, the guys a total trip. I have a friend who has been training with him every week for the past several years, and is now sort of 'inside' the group. They are a small, close knit group, they mostly do forms and chi gung. He teaches a lot of different stuff, not just snake (which apperently he knows quite a bit of; my friend started teaching me one of his snake forms, it was really cool as far as forms go), he teaches tai chi, bagua, 5 animals, lost track boxing. taoist yoga and meditation. If you are really interested, I could find out from my friend where and when they meet. Its kind of a private group, but you could probably go watch and meet him I suppose. I'll email my friend and find out. If youre really interested I could email you the 411.

I think ESPY has a snake video out by a guy named Rondie Chen (or something like that). Check their website.

Good luck!

IronFist
    "If you like metal you're my friend" -- Manowar

"I am the cosmic storms, I am the tiny worms" -- Dimmu Borgir

<BombScare> i beat the internet
    <BombScare> the end guy is hard.

fake snake

If you live in buffalo there is a school which claims to teach snake style. I don't believe it for one second though.

Mutant Warrior- that sounds insane. I'd love more info. It's right up my alley.

jun_erh;

I emailed my friend asking about the class with Kwan. Actually told her I was interested in learning some Tai Chi from him (which I am) and asked where and when, etc. Also asked what the deal was as far as watching a class, whether or not he would be cool with that. Its a strange, close knit group, and I only took seminars with him years ago, so I don't know much about his regular group. I'll let you know what I find out, so you could swing by and watch and try to meet him, if youre still interested. I don't know if you read the thread about underground kung fu schools, but this is about as underground as you can get. Kwan is very eccentric, so who knows what he would teach you, he's way qualified, but who knows what you'd get out of him....I think he's more interested in having a taoist cult group, than martial arts class.

Also, there's a book (biography) written about his life by a student of his named Deng Ming Dao, called Chronicles of Tao; the Secret Life of a Taosist Monk.......You could find it at the big Borders bookstore downtown or on Amazon. I read it a while back, it was fun, probably pretty heavy on the fiction though, all kinds of taoist magic and immortals, really a total trip. Check it out if youre interested.

Green Drogan has a nice snake snake video. His ads are in kung fu magazines.