Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: For someone who can't walk...

For someone who can't walk...

I have a friend who is confined to a wheel chair and I was wondering if there are any exercises such as Yoga, Tai Chi, Baguazhang or Xingyi that she could learn without using legs? Such as are there forms in those 3 internal arts that do not use legs? Thanks.
    I have a signature.

ttt

Personaly...
    If i was Wheel Chair bound i would actualy go for Wing Chun from a self defense perspective. Its one art i can imagine being easyer to addapt to a seated position. Its also a fairly upfront art and is good at defending and attacking from the front. Plus the speed is of benifit if your immobile.

To answer the question directly, the internal arts tend to use the legs to generate power quite a lot. A good sifu should be able to adapt the art to your friend but there is no gaurantes. The internal arts are also pretty big on hip and spine based power generation. Hence your friend may have trouble putting it to practical use and still generating enough power.
    If its just for interest then just go with whatever takes his fancy.
    Up and down, forward and backward, left and right, its all the same. All of this is done with the mind, not externaly.
    ------------------------------------
    Shaped dragon and looking monkey, sitting tiger and turning eagle.

"I wonder how they would do against jon's no-tension fu. I bet they'd do REALLY WELL."
    - Huang Kai Vun

Philbert.

I am aware of some TCC Schools that teach elderly using Chairs to sit on.
    Not sure if that is what you are after.

As for effective fighting from a wheelchair, yes, it can be done but the style will need to be adjusted for this.

In most MA, Qi-Gong, Yoga you will find a fair use of the legs. This also counts for the internal Arts.

On the other hand nothing prevents him from only learning the arm movements and skipping the leg ones.

Your question is kinda open which makes it hard to answer.

She has some, very, very little movement in her legs. She can sort of twitch them and thats about it. She wants to get into better shape and I told her to swim (with a life jacket) but she is terrified of swimming. She even owns a pool, but refuses to go near it and hasnt gone in a pool in 6 years. I was wondering if it were possible to choose a MA to get in shape and thought maybe internal arts was the way.

jon, I dont see how Wing Chun would work since you got to be able to turn pretty fast and step forward to punch with chain punches. Then again I aint that good in the art yet and haven't learned too much.
    I have a signature.

Hi Philbert.

If she wants to get into shape Internal Arts might suit her.

On the other hand a lot of places offer kinda aerobic classes for people in wheelchairs.

Main problem I think will be finding a place that will allow her to partake in a regular MA class.

So I think best would be to contact other challenged People around her to see what is available.

Well I managed to find an Aikido and Kung Fu school in her area. I told her to call the Kung Fu school and ask if he teaches internal arts and also try her local YMCA for Tae-Bo and Yoga. Like I said, its to get in shape, not to fight.
    I have a signature.

In a wheelchair

Philbert,

There's not much kung fu you can practice in a wheel chair. you do build up quite a bit of arm muscles pushing yourself around unless he's like me and opted for the motorized variety. Ever since then i've grown to be a fat slob and an all day eating machine.

My doctor says that i've a heart condition and should not try to stress out too much on trivial things on the kung fu forum.

"My doctor says that i've a heart condition and should not try to stress out too much on trivial things on the kung fu forum."
    * Then you should stop trolling and start using that mind for the forces of good instead of evil
    Not saying this post is a troll, just that its kinda your style.
    Up and down, forward and backward, left and right, its all the same. All of this is done with the mind, not externaly.
    ------------------------------------
    Shaped dragon and looking monkey, sitting tiger and turning eagle.

"I wonder how they would do against jon's no-tension fu. I bet they'd do REALLY WELL."
    - Huang Kai Vun

She could try Raja Yoga - although Im not sure if this has any physical benefits.

Why doesn't she look into chi kung, a lot of exercises that I have learn't have been from either a standing stationary position or sitting position with emphasis on arm movement very gentle and relaxing and very good for you, but depending on what you are like it could get boring esspecially if you have little patience.

weapons

a loong time ago, when I was in elementary school one of my classmate's wheelchair bound uncle did a MA demo at my school. He was a black belt in some art I can't remember but he had 2 broadswords attached to the armrests of his wheelchair. He did an awesome display where he would swivel the wheelchair using one hand while weilding a sword with the other. When the swords were put back, the wheelchair looked justr like an ordinary one.
    IMHO, a weapon would be the way to go for a wheelchair bound person in a self defense situation, not to mention the benefits in developing arm and upper body strength.
    "Try to use that one legged crane stance when 50 sumo wrestlers are all around you, and then your going to get sumoed." - Ralek

tell her to roll her ass up some hills.

seriously.
    where's my beer?

http://fightingarts.com/content02/wh...r_tech_1.shtml
    http://fightingarts.com/content02/wh...r_tech_2.shtml

Also, there are many people who practice aikido from a wheelchair, but the dojo must accomodate them.

What about Kali or some other stickfighting art??

I believe stick training would benefit real well-whether it be exercise or self-defense.

Badger
    Justice, swift & raw. US Constitutional absolutism, a return to the American Dream based on the 10 Commandments, The Golden Rule, US Constitution & Bill of Rights, zero tolerance for bloodsuckers, criminals and evil.. Peace through superior firepower & tactical might, zero free rides, only the truly needy get jack****, Don't Tread on Me & Remember the Alamo muther****er