Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: For someone who can't walk...

Carry a firearm.

A good firearm school for combative shooting would be your best bet.
    Regards

Thumbs up firearm...

Yea...that too.

Badger
    Justice, swift & raw. US Constitutional absolutism, a return to the American Dream based on the 10 Commandments, The Golden Rule, US Constitution & Bill of Rights, zero tolerance for bloodsuckers, criminals and evil.. Peace through superior firepower & tactical might, zero free rides, only the truly needy get jack****, Don't Tread on Me & Remember the Alamo muther****er

I have said this several times, SHE WANTS TO GET IN SHAPE AND LOOSE WEIGHT. Not self defense. I figured that there might be some kind of martial art she can practice to get in shape.
    I have a signature.

Why not self defense? What is the attitude with self defense?

Martial arts are not going to do the job of getting her in shape any way, send her to a gym, get a personal trainer.
    Regards

I practice the martial arts and have been in a wheelchair sense birth. I train in tae kwon do and have trained in shotokan with no problem. Adjustments can be made and just because a form has kicks in it there is no reason to count it out.

I love weapons, especially the nunchaku obviously, but I would rather not carry a weapon on the street and if I had to defend myself I'd use my bare hands.

BTW, tell her to do what GDA said. Start pushing that chair up some hills. I have to go all around campus in my manual wheelchair every day with plenty of hills.
    Last edited by Mr Nunchaku; 03-12-2002 at 05:08 PM.
    Tae kwon do is not just a martial art, it is a way of life.

Just for the sake of discussion,

Why would you not want to carry a weapon on the street? Why would you prefer to disadvantage yourself to handling the situation with bare hands?

These are honest questions, I am trying to fathom why someone who is already at a disadvantage would want to hinder themselves further, just so you don't think I am focused on the handicapped, I think everyone who is serious about their self preservation should learn and implement tools...i.e. weapons for the practical issue of survival in a dire need.
    Regards

Black Jack -

You ever notice that some people just don't know how to listen?
    All my fight strategy is based on deliberately injuring my opponents. -
    Crippled Avenger

"It is the same in all wars; the soldiers do the fighting, the journalists do the shouting, and no true patriot ever get near a front-line trench, except on the briefest of propoganda visits...Perhaps when the next great war comes we may see that sight unprecendented in all history, a jingo with a bullet-hole in him."

First you get good, then you get fast, then you get good and fast.

Are you in regards to me????

I know the original post was about exercise, though it drifted away from that topic before I got to it, I am just curious to be educated on the reasons why someone would limit themselves in that situation.
    Regards

The person in question is not interested in that situation, for whatever reason. She's not even neccesarily interested in martial arts. A gun won't help anyone get in shape or lose weight, wheelchair or no.

Allowing the topic to drift further reduces the utility of the thread, just as this post does.

So, I'll change the subject back.

Perhaps a 'low impact' regimen along the lines of Pilates or Alexander methods would help your friend, Phil.
    All my fight strategy is based on deliberately injuring my opponents. -
    Crippled Avenger

"It is the same in all wars; the soldiers do the fighting, the journalists do the shouting, and no true patriot ever get near a front-line trench, except on the briefest of propoganda visits...Perhaps when the next great war comes we may see that sight unprecendented in all history, a jingo with a bullet-hole in him."

First you get good, then you get fast, then you get good and fast.

First off, the last post was not directed to you, nor the member who posted the question.

Besides that, it must be the gun aspect that bothered you, as it is common knowledge that a vast number of posts here on KFO stray from time to time on the topic at hand, my response to a gun as a self defense tool, a lot more of a logical and practical answer than to undertake a martial art system for the goal of self defense in this case, a point as stated before, brought up by others before me.

Second Chang, I did address the post topic, I informed him he should tell her to go to the gym and get a personal trainer, someone qualified to instruct her, not second hand info on a martial arts forum.
    Last edited by Black Jack; 03-12-2002 at 07:37 PM.
    Regards

Someone p!ss in your cornflakes this morning Black Jack?

"i can barely click the link. but i way why stop drinking .... i got ... moe .. fcke me ..im out of it" - GDA on Traditional vs Modern Wushu
    ---------------------------------------------
    but what if the man of steel hasta fight another man of steel only that man of steel knows kung fu? - Kristoffer
    How do you think monks/strippers got started before the internet? - Gene Ching
    Find your peace in practice. - Gene Ching

Serpent,

No, I was just bummed by the crappy run of Smallville today
    Regards

"i can barely click the link. but i way why stop drinking .... i got ... moe .. fcke me ..im out of it" - GDA on Traditional vs Modern Wushu
    but what if the man of steel hasta fight another man of steel only that man of steel knows kung fu? - Kristoffer
    How do you think monks/strippers got started before the internet? - Gene Ching
    Find your peace in practice. - Gene Ching

My post was getting pretty off topic as well and I think that's why Black Jack asked about not wanting a weapon, because I was the one that said that. Just to clarify, it isn't that I want to hinder myself in a fight by not carrying a weapon. That's not it at all. I simply do not wish to carry a weapon. If I was in a fight I'd do better with a weapon, but I'll risk not carrying one and continue to roll the streets, as it were, with nothing but my bare hands simply because I don't want a gun or knife or whatever on me.

Back to topic, if she wants to get in shape then she doesn't need to take a martial art unless she wants to. On TV there was a guy in a wheelchair doing tae bo. Of course, its not martial arts, but if she wants to get in shape I heard that tae bo is good.
    Tae kwon do is not just a martial art, it is a way of life.

Fair enough Nunchuka,

I hope my post was not insulting as it was NOT supposed to be so, I was just curious to your viewpoints, thanks.
    Regards