Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The real fight is in the courts!!

Angry The real fight is in the courts!!

G'Day all,

My question is this,

How do you know how far to take the fight? Could you enter a fight , one that looks like it could get real nasty,knowing that if you win,and maybe that saved your life, that the remainder of it will be spent in jail cause you crippled some punk!!

The **** law stinks!

How is it that you hear these stories everyday about people defending themselves and their the ones that end up paying for it....

So the attacker has some stitches, a broken nose and a few teeth missing...THE GUY WAS GUNNA KILL ME!!!

The media love it....

Yes, you might have saved your life in fighting for it,but whats the point if you have to think twice before picking up the soap in the shower!!!

Whats your thoughts on this??

Maybe leave the vital organs and face alone and go for the knees??

Take away their mobility??

I could palm strike some guy harassing me, he falls, hits his head on the kerb and is ******* DEAD!!!

The judge looks at me and says you have been training for yearsa in martial arts. You had an advantage over him and you knew what you were doing...so i give you 25 in the slammer!!!

Is there some loophole or sublaw within the law i dont know about??

Thanks in advance

Open stance....
    What you start, i will finish.......

if i am driven to self defense, it is only in a threat of life. and if my life is threatened, someone is going to die and soon. that being said, i would not think twice when it comes to the defense, atleast i live to see my jail time. but hell, that is some stupid ****. now if i was being robbed, i would let him have it, like i said, only defend if my life is in danger.
    'i have a new found respect for crowbars now'

pause

'atleast it wasn't about sex'

Train harder. Develop your ninja mind control powers and no one will be able to bother you ever again, much less involve you in a complicated legal battle.

In all seriousness, I totally empathize with your concerns. It sometimes seems like a catch-22.
    Stupidity - the number one sexually transmitted disease.

The trick is to know the laws in your state or country, and understand the line between reasonable force and lethal force. Brawling in the streets is definitely illegal, but depending on the situations hitting someone, knocking them down, breaking their arm, can be legal in the eyes of the law if properly justified. The problem is finding that justification.
    If you break someone's nose because he shoved you...you're the attacker.
    If you break someone's nose when he's trying to stab you or has some advantage over you (i.e. size, etc) things might be a little different.

Know the laws. Study them, ask police, etc.

Ryu
    "No judo! NO NO!"

"One who takes pride in shallow knowledge or understanding is like a monkey who delights in adorning itself with garbage."

Attain your highest ability, and continue past it. Emotion becomes movement. Express that which makes you; which guides you. Movement and Mind without hesitation. Physical spirituality...
    This is Jeet Kune Do....

Originally posted by Ryu
    Know the laws. Study them, ask police, etc.
    Ryu

Sorry, disagree with " ask police".
    I have often found that LEO are not that glued up on the specifics of the Law, but than that isn't their Job.

Rather than asking the Police ask a lawyer.

Find out if your state has a "mutual combat" law. Oregon does. it just means if you both agree on the fight, and not just go to someone and start kicking the hell out of them, but you two have to have said YES I WILL FIGHT. And viola.....it's LEGAL!!!!

~Wen~

your best bet is not being there when the cops show up. Don't matter if you feel what you did was justified or not.

Red,
    Yeah.
    Now that I think about it, a Lawyer probably is a better idea.

Ryu
    "No judo! NO NO!"

"One who takes pride in shallow knowledge or understanding is like a monkey who delights in adorning itself with garbage."

Attain your highest ability, and continue past it. Emotion becomes movement. Express that which makes you; which guides you. Movement and Mind without hesitation. Physical spirituality...
    This is Jeet Kune Do....

Paul,
    that doesn't mean they can't find and arrest you.

Ryu
    "No judo! NO NO!"

This is Jeet Kune Do....

I assumed we were talking about being attacked, say like a random assault or robbery. If they don't know me how are they going to find me?

Originally posted by Ryu
    Paul,
    that doesn't mean they can't find and arrest you.
    In which case you will be off worse in court.

Well for the most part you're probably right in that a random guy off the street won't have any idea where to find you....but you've got to still be prepared. Weirder things have happened, you might drop your wallet, he sees where you work, etc.

Ryu
    "No judo! NO NO!"

This is Jeet Kune Do....

hmmm. i thought it was random assault to, well, if it was not that i would just not bother.
    'i have a new found respect for crowbars now'

pause

'atleast it wasn't about sex'

I've been involved in some street action when the cops showed up and it's definately not a good thing to be there when they arrive. You could be totally justified in the action that you took but the cops can screw you over if they take the other persons side for whatever reason.

In which case you will be off worse in court
    Really, how's that? I could kick someones ass and wait for the cops, or kick their ass and go home. How is the second one worse? it's not like it's a high speed pursuit. The cops would have to find you at work or at home whatever.

Well if it was a random assault, I wouldn't stay there either.
    I was just saying you still gotta know the law, etc.
    To be honest, I think most fights happen with people you know or have some kind of access to rather than robberies, etc. Places that people will know you like workplace, job, school, university, etc. You'd be surprised the numbers of fights in the workplace for instance.

Ryu
    "No judo! NO NO!"

This is Jeet Kune Do....