Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: The road to being a Sifu (discussion)

Stacey Guest
    ED- I didn't lie about my training. You have been out of the picture a long time. Changes have happened, you really don't know whats going on. I'm not saying who my Sifu was.

Master Sun is not greedy now, he was just generous to you then. Rather than appreciate it, you feel that he owed it to you. Its very sad really.

Bruce bought yip man a condo. His other students bought him a house. Now reconsider what is greedy.

Cello lessons from Yo Yo MA are gonna cost you. Is he evil and greedy? No, just specialized.

Paul Lin- The US army has its recruits do the Sifu trainining program? I didn't know that. Probably just the basic drills.

Did you talk to the fight promoter yet? What fights are you looking to compete in?

Stacy

WHAT YOU DONT LIE!!!!!!!
    You lied about your gender! how can you expect anyone to believe you when you cant even tell the truth about what sex you are.

You dont have to tell me who your sifu is I already know. I dont want to fight with you, but you are a trouble starter. I read your posts and 90 % of them are sacastic, instagative or slandering. You need to be a little nicer to people and maybe people will treat you with respect...

Remember when you told me that I was the best looking sifu in 8 step.... then you admitt a year later that you are a guy. you have some issues that need addressed.

You should live your life by the golden rule and you will find that people treat you the way you treat them..............
    http://www.kungfuUSA.net

It takes more than 1000's of repititions to make a sifu...more than all the forms, all the applications, all the drills and the techniques of a particular style.
    It takes students.
    The knowlege of martial movement and its meaning is one thing. The ability to pass on that knowlege to someone else despite of all the little things that get in the way(like personality) is totally another.
    Interaction with the many types of 'learning styles' and the adjustments the instructor must make to 'transmit' the martial art can only be learned through time...and many students.

If it was just about 'how good you are' then the best martial artists would make the best sifus, the best athletes would make the best coaches,etc. Observation shows that this is very rarely the case, and the 'natural' hardly ever makes a good coach because he can't tell you howhe does it so well, he just does. The good sifu and/or coach is one who had to work for their skills and can then help others search for their own particular way.

If it was just about 'eating bitter' then there would lots amazing sifus around. There is not.

There is really no such thing as a "Sifu Program", because at the end of all the passed on knowlege(whether you 'bought' it or 'earned' it) all you get is an 'Instructor', who may become a Sifu, but only through the fire of time and students.
    Last edited by spiralstair; 03-13-2002 at 01:56 AM.

Very nice insight Spiralstair. One of the points I was hoping would surface during this discussion.
    Side-note: Please stop with the personal attacks. Remember the topic please***

I too believe that anything presented as a "sifu training program" is highly likely to be nothing more than a physical training regimin. For it to truely be a "Sifu" training course, it would be conducted during regular classes & would teach you how to teach. The kicker is, you should already know the system before-hand (ie., forms & applications).

Anyway, thanks for all of your opinions. I would like to see more discussions of technical validity in here! or at least, like this one, opinions upon "on-topic" subjects.
    Thank you all,
    BTL
    How many identities does a Troll need?
    Didn't think I knew did you??
    I know a lot of things.
    You won't like me in person either.
    Confused?? Don't be.
    LOL!

Sifu means father and their are all types of fathers. You have teenage fathers ,young father, old fathers... If your Sifu gives you permission to teach in the presence of his peers and lineage and or certifies you to teach you can teach. But, even all this will not make you the best teacher. Teaching has many phases and the first phase is the mimic your teacher phase. I believe the true father phase begins when expand beyond the mimic stage.
    As for the amount of time you have to spend before you have mastered the style? It takes as long as it takes.
    My Sifu used 5 years of training as the minimum before he would consider you for a disciple. I have been with him as a student for over 16 years and I have had the opportunity to learn from others but, I have refused.
    If you have to many teachers who is your Sifu?
    ________
    launch box
    ________
    BUY EASY VAPE
    Last edited by seung ga faat; 04-29-2011 at 01:20 AM.

Stacey Guest
    ED.

I stand by what I said, "You are the best looking 8 Step Sifu I have ever seen. So what if I'm a guy. What? I can't know when another guy is handsome?

Stacey,..Back on topic please.
    I know a lot of things.
    Confused?? Don't be.
    LOL!

Post sifu camp vs army training

How you describe Shyun's sifu camp really reminds me of how Army training is. In TW, all citizens are required to be dreaft in army service and Shyun surely gone through that and learned it well.

In TW Army, their goal is to create a fighting machine that will ask no question, no question the authority personels, 100% obey, no self justification, and no take any info form other resources.(all country seem to do similar) And the machine was created to protect the country.(in Shyun's case, it sounds like his personal money machine)

The steps are like this:

1. Firm authority. One must make hiself sepreme. Give himself title. Create legend to make others not compatable to him.

(and yet, Shyun done that with all his support untraceable. Just think how possible a person will has every thing he claim untraceable. I can only believe that over half of claim untraceable is suspect enough)

2 promise of giving. Give promise that are totally self made. It will work only when others recognize it, won't work if others don't recognize it. Same as in army, if the rank is not serve an authority in a supermarket, he can't have any special treatments. And by giving promise, one will think he/she is actually getting some thing as in benefit for them. However, it may not worth much when it is out side of the circle.

3 kill the mind. Usually done by over-the-limit on body works or emotional attack. In army, they make you gone over all the body limit as well as emotional limit. In doing that, your brain release chemicals to tell itself to obey inorder to survive. At the same time, you brain is too sweel to think, so it will take all input at the time and regard them as truth. That is how they brain washed people to make them a machine.

4 keep issolated. Make all others less important, unbelievable, or evil so that you will not come to your thought. That will keep you under the commend for the purpose. So no one else can interfere the authority.

If a person gone through army training will not easy fall into the same things again.

The real good MA teaching is not make you sacrafice your life to learn arts. It should make arts serve the needs of life and help individual improving in their spirit, mind, chi, and body in every day living. It should not control authority to any single human being, it should give authority to the truth, knowledge, and humanity. It should not be issolated form challenges and not able to give satisfictory answers by trun away form questions.

I don't see the sifu program will make a student sifu. A sifu is the one who are 1. have knowledge and experience that the students don't have. 2. are able to benefit and pass those down to students. 3. have a father-son like relationship in kungfu aspect that will take on the tudi's futrue kungfu(or even personal) development as his own responsiblity. That is what truely make a sifu.
    Last edited by PaulLin; 03-13-2002 at 12:05 PM.

Nice post Paul,..however, please stop using Shyun's name as a bad example. Thanks for your cooperation.
    BTL
    I know a lot of things.
    Confused?? Don't be.
    LOL!

Talking ok

Gotcha, Bei TangLang.

Thumbs up

The real good MA teaching is not make you sacrafice your life to learn arts. It should make arts serve the needs of life and help individual improving in their spirit, mind, chi, and body in every day living. It should not control authority to any single human being, it should give authority to the truth, knowledge, and humanity. It should not be issolated form challenges and not able to give satisfictory answers by trun away form questions.
    That's very well put, Paul.

Martial Arts is about educating a person to become a better person. One can not learn with a closed mind. Too bad that many confused martial arts with martial sports or ritual arts. Education and entertain are very different animals. That awareness is the responsablity of the Sifu.

Mantis108
    Contraria Sunt Complementa

對敵交手歌訣

凡立勢不可站定。凡交手須是要走。千着萬着﹐走為上着﹐進為高着﹐閃賺騰挪為
    妙着。

CCK TCPM in Yellowknife

TJPM Forum

I guess if we're just talking about teaching then knowing the material is enough to get started but I'd rather not learn from someone training less than 5 or 6 years. Being a Sifu, to me, is much more than just knowing the material. Don't forget you're actually teaching more than just the forms and apps, you're teaching a lifestyle. Ten to fifteen years at least (you have to grow up some first).

So how old were you (Sifus) before you ceased being a hothead? Remember that your students will follow your example. Depth of MA knowledge goes beyond how many forms you know or how many apps you know for each technique. Two to three years and you might know some stuff and be able to use it but that's about the beginning of the 'fat head' stage when ego rules.

Post sifu

I agree, Hua Lin. It does take about 10 years in average for the maturaty of the art that is good enough to be a kungfu-father/sifu. However, in American today, even in every day families often have problems out there that has to do with immature fathers, it is very difficult to pass on the good quality nowadays in the fast road living style.

Stacey Guest
    Thats true, no American is as good as the average Chinese.

Hua Lin Laoshi

I would like to wish you good luck on your upcoming Shrfu test with MC. It is a good thing how MC re-tests his Shrfu`s every _ years. Really helps to keep everybody sharp and on the same page. I respect you alot because you could have tested a few years ago and did not. What`s the rush right? You have the source right there, your timing is right. Enjoy every moment of this most auspicious occasion in your Kung Fu career. You know what you went thru to get where you are now, A to Z! This is going to be fun as **** and hard as ****! I`ve been there, and will never forget it.