Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sifu trainee programs

ouch ... tam tui on a soup can I can't do a complete tam tui yet!

just to touch back on drills ... I just wanted to put in my perspective as a new student. Warm-up drills (stances, stretching, punching) have both forced me into better shape and shown me what I need to work on at home. Line drills showed me how to pull individual moves out of a form and work on them, to see the move in a different light.

And of course there's the motivation from working with a group (maybe the #1 selling point to Americans?).

Anyway, those things are why in-class drills have been beneficial to me as a beginner. I can see why they might not have the same effect with advanced students. Thanks for reading my silly take on it.
    There is a great streak of violence in every human being. If it is not channeled and understood, it will break out in war or in madness. ~Sam Peckinpah

Post sifu program

Yeap, as I see that the purpose of sifu program is different in all schools. As long as it didn't try to make a fast-made sifu(like instant noodle) and brain wash students, I think that is fine. Then again, I think it will take an average of 10 years to make a real sifu.

Post Ying Jie Tui

Ying Jie Tui(yin ji) Ying (suppostly or respond) Jie (catch or continue) Tui (leg) is one of the 8 movements called Ba Da Jin Gang. My father saw Chian Ji Chuang practiced all 8 of them with each one a lap over the trackfield. His master is Wong Ming Chiue. Wong's master is KunBao Ten, who's son was killed in a fight with Jiang Huwa Long's son. Chian often come to the park and play around with GM Wei's students but have never meet GM Wei face to face. I think many GM Wei's students will remember him.

it's marketing and $$$, that's what it issss...

I believe one has to research the sifu program extensively. You need to know the level of proficiency that is required of you so you can be successful in the program. Be wary of time frame answers of when you will become a sifu. Make sure the program offers additional training for professional students and not the same training offered to the other students. Be wary of paying more for monthly tuition and recieving the same training and time with your sifu. Periodic evaluation of your skills from your sifu and a training regiment to meet your goals should be done for each student. It should be individualized- improving weaknesses, and further development of your strengths.
    In some programs, the student signs a contract regarding the exclusivity of training others without permission. A similar contract needs to be fulfilled by the sifu to his students that you are getting the training and the results (provided you're commited) you expected. After you become a sifu will opportunites be available to open a school or a club. Will you have your sifu's support and your system's support.
    Some final thoughts, the sifu should assess each candidate on all levels to choose a student who can then be successful. If they have no standard to choose from, then many students will be unsuccessful in this pursuit. I think it would be best to be honest with the student so they can make a cognitive choice on this journey. You can still enjoy training without taking on additional responsibilities to becoming a sifu.

Stacey Guest
    well said taz.

In my school, it was by invitation only, some people wanted to, but Sifu said no. He was looking for some things. I got turned down until I had a better base and learned how to endure and eat bitter.

Program is spelled " P R O G R A M"

i don't like that word.

And your Sifu doesn't "program" you to fight when he teaches you Kung Fu? You aren't "programming" your body when you practice?

Hua Lin

Professional student under AD, which spilled over to the Temple. But my best WL training was with my older Kung Fu brother Leroy Kautz. AD brought the best out in me, but Leroy made me a Shr Fu, I would not have been able to pass the test without all of the hours of sweat and guidance of my older brother. I must also give alot of credit to SC, who taught me the advanced WL forms and lion dance. In my WL career, I feel very blessed to have had such mentors. But you Hua Lin, are surrounded also with deep talent, Tu, Mimi, Big Mike! You will have countless stories to tell your students.

YS

Hi . I want to be accepted as a student. I want to learn kung fu, to get good. I'll train hard .

sifu says, " why do you want to learn kung fu? Come here tomrow at 7pm"

Hi . I want to be a sifu.

SIfu says, " okay come here at 7pm ."

yeah master program you'll learn more, faster? haha whatever. bull****.

Post wide and deep

I think there is different in teaching kungfu wide or teach deep. I have always been in the deep side. If students wouldn't drill and practicing on their own time, we will considered they are not ready mentally for sifu level. We never put them in class or program that make them do these. In result, we can only teach a few people.

I guess if you want to go wide into the general public, then you have be make them do all these. But I think there is different about the reason of practicing kungfu and what kungfu means to the students.

Stacey Guest

yeah whatever

Olympic training camp vs. After school intramurals.

Work harder, longer hours, get more material, understand it through rigorous practice. This is the key. I passed people of more years, but I put in more time. Time and hard work are key, but more important is the intensity and quality of time you put in. When you are forced past your limits, you will progress very fast, if you go at your own pace, you will be limited.

So what about years. I know blackbelts of 10 years that I beat after 2 in mantis. They never did half of what I did physically, they never put in whole days training myself into mental states associated with vision quests. Say what you want, beleive what you want, but ability speaks for itself.

Post no surprise

Staycey,

It is no surprice that you can beat 10 years black belt in Karate. Karate and Teakwondo I consider them the most useless. They can go 20 or more years, still not going any where. The most usefull skill among them all are like Jujitzu, judo, kickboxing, Taiboxing, etc.

You can go sparing with some well trained army personals and see how much different you are to them.

Paul lin

Just wondering how or why you can say that karate is useless?

I have met some very good martial artists (not all chinese styles) but to say that they are useless is a great underestamation.

Before I got into CMA I was trained in okinaiwan go ju ryu by one of victor vega's (the father of go ju ryu) top students' and I must say he was an exceptional martial artist ad the best fighter I have ever met.

He had control of his feet like people do with their hands. he was quick as lighting and hit hard. He could also defend with minimal movement.. he would somethimes defend using small cirlces with only one hand. So I would not judge the stlye in such a sweeping generalization.

It is definalty the person who trains the hardest who reigns superior not the style..........

I have also met CMA that cant fight nor have and clue about chi. including the taoist tai chi center close to my school that has over a 100 students that no nothing about chi or the fighting classics in tai chi so one cannot judge simply by assumtion.
    http://www.kungfuUSA.net

Post not just my own opinion

Well, I can't say I have my GMs' level, but that is what my GM, Wei, Chang, Han, and Wong all agree up on. I have seen some but not all Karate and Teakwondo, as far as I saw, their movements are constantly giving out "gift hands" that we have been told to avoid to do. I have some people who didn't believe this also and brought the movements on to try it. For my 12 years of experiece, I have not yet seen an exception.

And yet, there is many CMA are way off chart and not even competable to Karate and Taekwondo. That is what I am very dissapointed about in todays CMA world.
    Last edited by PaulLin; 03-17-2002 at 02:33 PM.