Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Warrior Spirit

well, if i'm wrong, i'm wrong. but i don't see this working. people intrinsically want to believe that they've made smart choices. you best their instructor, and belief preservation suggests that they'll come up with reasons why that doesn't mean anything.

educate them and they'll make their own minds up. they'll reevaluate their teachers on their own recognizance. that seems like a better way to go, to me.

stuart b.

You are correct, and my main point of impact is the person who is teaching. The students will write off anything they choose, as you say. But the instructor, if he is doing something worng, he will know it.

morally or technically wrong?

we all make mistakes in technique. as for moral error, you're going to make those judgments?

If he is doing something worng morally, he will know it, I will not judge it. If he is doing something technically wrong, because of lack of training and misinformation, then challenging him would be doing someone a favor. Him if he realizes that he has been doing something wrong, or doesnt know enough to be teaching. he may choose to go study harder and stop calling himself a teacher. Someone else may benefit if it comes to light that he was beat in a challange and was found to be a fraud.
    Basically Ap, what I am talking about is a fraud. The sort of person who is in it for the money or the prestige and hasn't taken the time to really learn it. We have several here abouts in the karate and WC communities. Alot of people who sort of trained with so and so, later you find out they were not certified to teach, and arent qualified to teach. that is very different from the guy who just doesnt know any better. he probably learned from one of the guys I am talking about!

Red:

Lets start a federation or club that does research on WC instructors and provides the info. In the case of fraud, then us club members pile into a van, show up at his place, and 'test' him.

Once we get big enough we can start charging people for the info, for membership on our website, sell t-shirts and pins, etc. If we could somehow figure out a way to charge our 'customers' for thier 'tests' that would be great too.

Im down.
    strike!

LMAO! Yenhoi!!!! Really, this whole chop suey WC that has been popping up lately is ****ing me off, can you tell?

I was partly serious.

You should make a list of the people who you are concerned are fakes or whatever, and at the very least post it here. Not on the WC forum tho, that will get you massivly flamed and eventually banned by one of the nazi mods. [Shout out WH!]

You could start a crusade against sorry WC teachers, maybe other people will join you.

You should also just generally be keeping a list of people who do or have ****ed you off so that when your WC skills are up-to-date you can go un-**** off yourself.

[the above use of the word crusade was in no way intended to offend anyone of the Muslim faith]
    strike!

red5

ttt
    strike!

By the way, what does ttt mean?

Well, to a certain extant I am. Like this guy locally that should in no way be claiming to teach wing chun. When I am at a skill level where I can challenge him, I will. Maybe a few others locally here that probably shouldnt be teaching.
    As for people that ****ed me off, well, I would have to quit my full time job!!!!

"to" "the" "top"

I believe, or

"troll" "troll" "troll"

_

Question: If your skills are not ready to challenge these "frauds" - how can you judge _now_ that they are "frauds"?

Also, how can you seriously expect someone to fight you using "only wing chun" as if when fighting a real fighter would limit himself to certain techniques.

Wing Chun is about fighting, as are most Kung Fu. Just because it has principles that 'dictate' how you should move, its techniques are based on simplicity, centerline, and elbows. You fight, not WC. When you fight, you use your arms and legs, YOUR tools, you dont _use_ WV _on_ your opponent.

I have come full circle, boredom, sillyness, seriousness. I am not attacking you, just finally adding 2 bucks rather then 2 cents.
    strike!

I understand what you are saying Yenhoi, I am not easily offended, especially if you are being sincere. I am not trolling by the way, I am serious.
    As for judging skill, in this case it is about knowing the persons history. In my area, Minneapolis, there are a few people who claim to teach WC, and who claim to have a history they do not. this to me is unacceptable.
    As for skill level, If I am not sure about someones skill, I will touch hands with them, if they are better then me, I will know it, if they are worse then me, I will know it.

this isnt about judging someones fighting skill, this is about someones WC skill, two different but similar things. your tools are much more then your arms and your legs, everyone has those. I do not like the people who claim to have the specific WC tools, especially on a level to teach.

I seriously expect someone to show me they know wing chun.

I think part of the problem is people are picturing this "challenge" as being some sort of bullying thing. there is a time where it could become that if we are not careful. I am not talking about bullying though. I will not force someone to fight me, I will ask. I will also ask questions that tell me what level thier knowledge is. If they prove to be less then what they are, I will make this publicly know, with an open invitation for them to come by anytime and show me they know what they are doing.
    Would it bother me if someone did this to me? Hell yes, but because I have been proven a fraud.

"yeah but"

I wasent calling you a troll, ttt could stand for trolling =D

"WC tools"

What is a WC tool?

Certainly, I would think, WC tools are for use on yourself, not for use 'on' your opponent.

JUst a clarification. I see what your saying about "knowing wing chun" and that you can tell by touching hands.
    strike!

The Wc tool srange from specific techniques, such as fuk, pak, lat, etc..... to drills, chi sau, rooting drills, etc.... to ideas, such as relaxation, structure.
    Now these are definitely not exclusive to WC, but they can be applied in such a way that it reflects your level of knowledge on WC and how to apply these tools. your tools can also be your arms and your legs but its like looking into a toolbox, some are empty, some have some basic tools, screwdriver, hammer, wrench, etc.. some have more and more tools. Now, you dont apply a single tool to a single problem, they work in concert, to take an engine apart you need several tools, and they may not be applied in the same way twice!