Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Cantonese help?

Huntington, NY, USA website: TenTigers.com
    here's some more-either to clarify or further confuse y'all!~
    m'goi-can be also used for excuse me
    M'goi is also thank you for service as opposed for a gift. If a waiter brings you water, you say, "M'goi"
    but if you are given a gift, you say, "Dohr che"
    you also say dohr che when your Sifu teaches you something, or after class, because he is giving you the gift of his knowledge, his time, effort, and experience, and that is certainly a gift to be treasured.
    Here's one; 'Bei fan Sifu" this is losely translated as give back to your Sifu-this is not good. You are returning his gift. You didn't practice what he taught you and forgot his teaching.

Talking It's N...

Sow Choy
    "Hello - Lay ho or Lay Ho Ma - How are you?"

Hi, in correct Cantonese, "hello/how are you?" should be "Nay ho/nay ho ma?" It should be pronounced with an N. A lot of people use the L, even Cantonese people, but strictly speaking that's not correct.

hahaha...

Sui-fuw

Nay ho ma

proper mandarin

there was a mistake or two in the mandarin given,
    it should be (pinyin with pronunciation in brackets):

Counting, 1 to 10

yi (ee)
    er (are)
    san (san)
    si (suh)
    wu (woo)
    liu (lee-oh)
    qi (chee)
    ba (bah)
    jiu (jee-oh)
    shi (shuh)

Yes/No?
    shi de (shuh duh) or "dui" meaning correct (dwai) long a sound
    bu shi (boo shuh) or bu dui

Please/Thank you
    qing (ching)
    xie xie (hard to write a phonetic--maybe she-yeh she-yeh)

Hello/Goodbye
    ni hao (knee how)
    zai jian (ai has an "I" sound, the rest is like it looks)

the pronunciations are a little off. but the pinyin is right.
    -Wang Si Zhong

Cantonese speakers: please help with terminology

Hi
    I am preparing an informative material about the forms of the style that i practice, a traditional southern style. I study mandarin but am not sure if i am using the correct terminology for:

1- for a list of FORMS/ROUTINES, i want to put the name "ROUTINES OF THE FEI HOK PHAI STYLE". It is correct like this: "Fei Hok Phai de JiuSik / 飛 鶴 派 的 招 式"?

2- the term 招式 JiuSik (zhao1shi4 in mandarin) mean "forms"/"routines" (a sequence of movement) or just "movement"?

3- for sequence of movements with weapons (forms with weapons) i could use "BingHei JiuSik" 兵器招式 or "mouhei Jiusik" 武器招式, or it does not have that meaning?

i know that in mandarin we use tao4lu4 for forms, but i was trying to find a term that is used in cantonese, in guangdong's and hk's martial arts, the source of the style's techniques; and i am not sure if the "tchaoshi" that chinese practitioners of the style says is this 招 式..

tks

typically the word "kuen" is used to denote "fist method/law" or "set/form"

"chuan fa" is another term (literally "fist law")

Mostly "Kuen" (or "kyun" if you prefer) though.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

The Cantonese term for forms/routine is also "tou lou" or "tao lu" 套路 as in Mandarin. "Jiu Sik" is used more for individual movements. So it should be "Fei Hok Paai Tou Lou" and not "Fei Hok Phai de Jiu Sik" for "ROUTINES OF THE FEI HOK PHAI STYLE".

"Bing hei" is definitely more in use by the Cantonese than "mou hei", because "mou hei" 武器 sounds too close to "mou hei" 無氣 (without qi), so it is not that desirable. So it should be "Bing Hei Tou Lou" and not "Mou Hei Jiu Sik" unless you want to talk about the individual movements with the weapons.

Hope this helps.
    Last edited by extrajoseph; 11-05-2009 at 01:17 PM.

really? tou lou? I've never heard that term from cantonese players across a few styles.

It's pretty much always "kuen"

tid sen kuen
    fu hok seung ying kuen
    ng ying kuen
    sap ying kuen
    gong lik kuen
    da kuen
    ping kuen
    moi fah kuen

and so on and so forth....

curious!
    Kung Fu is good for you.

As a westerner confronting Cantonese, there were some things I learned in English, some in canto, and some in one than the other.

I wouldn't over reach your Cantonese language skills to promote your school, just stick with the terms you know, as those are probably the most important anyway, and from there just build. Don't be afraid to use English, especially in the admin.

If you get real canto speakers, you will be out of your depth, and if you get non-canto speakers, you'll just work in English.

BTW, our forms are called Kuen too. As in Jik Bo Kuen. And staff forms are guan. I think the collective for all these exercises might be Tou Lou, but we simply call it 'kung fu'. But, the way we scramble up the language between Sifu and the English speakers is often hard to tell, what is chinese and what is English.

For example, I really thought a couple of the younger brother's Chinese names were 'Mau Wong' and all the time I didn't know it was a nickname referring to their stance training.
    Last edited by Yum Cha; 11-05-2009 at 02:31 PM.
    Guangzhou Pak Mei Kung Fu School, Sydney Australia,
    Sifu Leung, Yuk Seng
    Established 1989, Glebe Australia

I learned in the hodge podge of toisanese/english that is common in most chinatowns of north america. lol

so, i tread carefully around stuff like chinese language terms and such not being very adept at the language.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Hi David and Yum Cha,

Tou Lou (or a series of routines) is a collective name for all the kuen, and one can also call it Kuen Tou, a short hand way of saying, "kuen (dik) tou (lou)".

Bing Hei (or weapons) is a collective name for all the guan and do and gim, etc., so a collective name for Bak Mei Guan, Bak Mei Gim and Bak Mei Do, etc is Bak Mei Bing Hei, one can also say Bak Mei Bing Hei Tou Lou but not Bak Mei Bing Hei Kuen Tou.

Bak Mei Kung Fu would refer to all the Bak Mei Kuen Tou, Bak Mei Bing Hei, Bak Mei Doei Chak and Bak Mei Hei Gung, etc, that is the full collection of Bak Mei Kung Fu.

I think it is very commendable that Luohan wants to sort them out properly in Cantonese for a Cantonese style of Kung Fu, it shows respect for his art.

tks for the replies

about the bing hei/mou hei and toulou..this info helped a lot, tks.. i didnt know toulou was used in cantonese. so i will put in the chart- for the "weapon's forms" -binghei toulou and for ""combined weapons forms" - binghei tuicha (dui4chai1)

there is a lot of confusion, practitioners in general are not as informed as the people of this forum. In my country for exp, many people insist in calling forms "kati", because when the first chinese teachers imigrated to sao paulo, students didnt know about chinese culture, but japanese martial arts like karate already were known here, so some students of chinese marts like to use similar terms with the jap ma, and they start calling gongfu's forms of "kati",like kata, and it is still in use today as a nickname. terrible..
    i think we must keep the original terms. a exp of the confusion: the jump "xuanzi" is called in english "butterfly kick", and here in BR "tail of dragon". in my opinion, if we change the meaning of the terms with this regionalism of terminology we are discharacterizing the origin of the art. i believe a informative material for students is very important, keeping the original terms as much as possible.
    Last edited by luohan; 11-08-2009 at 08:01 AM.

Hi Luohan,

So you are from the line of Zhao Ping-Le 趙平樂, who named his style Feihe Pai to express the idea that he is a crane (or one who likes Hok Kuen) that flew from the East to the West (Toishan to Brazil).

XJ

thats right. chiu ping lok in cantonese..that explanation of the name of the style is an interpretation by a practitioner of the style when he was asked by an editor of a martial arts magazine, that was made popular through internet. There is lots of crane techniques in the style..
    The style contains forms of hung gar (like fu hok chuan), hung tao choy mei gar (chow gar), techniques of choy li fut, tai ji, a very interesting internal form of staff (rats tail staff), and compilations especific for the style..
    Last edited by luohan; 11-08-2009 at 09:17 PM.

I am originally from Hong Kong.
    It seems most of the questions are answered. If you need anymore help, post on this thread.