Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: This is almost too unbelievable...

Post This is almost too unbelievable...

If I hadn't gotten this from a real news source I'd chalk it up to net rumors or a hoax...I can't believe something like this could really happen. I'll copy/paste the article, then I'll put a link to the original article at the end.

Chinese peasants take revenge after being given HIV
    By Damien McElroy in Beijing
    (Filed: 10/03/2002)

CHINA is being swept by a wave of revenge attacks by victims of a government scheme that infected hundreds of thousands of peasants with the Aids virus before abandoning them without medical care or compensation.

Major cities have been convulsed by fear as word has spread that innocent pedestrians are being attacked in the street by people with syringes said to contain HIV-tainted blood.

Anxious residents of Beijing and Tianjin, the two largest northern cities, have besieged hospital clinics, demanding blood tests after saying that they were stabbed in the street. The government imposed a news blackout for fear of fuelling further panic, especially in Tianjin, where 47 reported attacks have prompted workers to call in sick, led shoppers to stay at home and caused some people to flee the city.

Between 100,000 and 500,000 people from Henan province, in central China, are thought to have contracted the virus after selling blood in a scheme that used unsanitary methods.

Whole villages in the province have been plunged into a public-health crisis as up to 80 per cent of residents have been infected with HIV. They have since received little or no medical care. Some have travelled to the cities to draw attention to their plight.

The virus was spread after local authorities set up collection units that toured villages, buying blood and returning plasma to donors - a method that helps the body compensate for the loss of blood. Government agencies are said to have pooled plasma in vats before reinjecting it. Visitors to the area describe scenes composed of the living dead - victims developing Aids and enduring the fevers, sores, headaches, boils and consumptive coughs associated with it. On the streets, shuffling men and women in clothes that no longer fit stare at strangers with the hopeless look of the ****ed.

Many villagers now face a nightmarish existence of suffering without state medical care as they slip towards death.

The infections date back to the late 1990s, but victims have been growing bolder recently as they challenge the government for free medicine and financial compensation. Last month, their desperation spilled out of the backward uplands of Henan and on to the prosperous streets of China's big cities. Police say that the number of attacks has been growing.

"The Tianjin public security [police] bureau has ascertained that a small number of criminals with ulterior motives were responsible for recent attacks on citizens by people wielding syringes and sharp objects," said one officer.

Discos and cinemas have suffered a slump in custom as worried people stay home, while Tianjin's education officials have told schools to strengthen security.

Source:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main...0/ixworld.html

If anyone finds something to refute this, please post it and tell me I'm naive for believing.
    Keep it simple, stupid.

That's really unfortunate.

Thats ****ed up.
    I have a signature.

I remember reading about the spread of HIV in the rural areas because of unsafe blood collecting practices a number of months ago.(I think I was in the New York Times). But the attacks in the streets... that is something I have never heard before and if true is really unfortunate

Lightbulb Drone i dont want to read agian, 1st time was from a shock value

are you saying they didnt intentionaly do this like they do with limiting birthrates, it was a accident?, i would hope so, but some reason i don't doubt it.

I don't know about this particular story, but sometimes even "reliable" news sources can be suspect. A while back all the news channels were screaming about making sure to check your handles on gas dispensers at stations. Seems some whacko was placing HIV infected needles under the handles and people were getting their fingers poked. It was a fake story...it started in the internet, a news channel picked it up, and voila! Citywide scare.
    "I'll use my bare hands...against any weapon!"

We are trained in wushu. We must defend the Temple!

I think Drone was just commenting that he hadn't heard about the "revenge attacks" with AIDS infected needles in the big cities. The article implied that it was being done in retaliation for the government's handling of the whole situation, but it never really mentioned why that was the case...that I recall.

I can't believe that they may have infected HALF A MILLION PEOPLE...it's just unreal. Like some kind of crazed sci-fi movie...
    Keep it simple, stupid.

Clearing up the confusion

yeah exactly what Radhnoti said.

In the early 1900's, first born babies who were female was immediately drowned in the river. It was customery. If you didnt do it, the general public alienated you.

Women tied up their feat, it was customery, so they couldn't run away. FOrtunately, those who were modern enough not to do it were able to migrate to the south during the wars. The others, well they suffered whilst their husbands left them for the southern countries.

My mums trip to China, she said, homeless clothless dying baby girls are found on the streets today, some she doesnt even know if they were corpses or not.
    Last edited by prana; 03-13-2002 at 08:14 PM.
    Sorry for absense, lots happening.

"Women tied up their feat, it was customery, so they couldn't run away. "

I'm pretty sure that was a fashion thing. Little feet on women were "attractive".
    I could be wrong, but that's what I was always taught.

Oh well, who cares anyway?
    Anything that gets rid of the human race in my opinion is good.

(And yes, I am Evil Ryu again.)

Ryu
    "No judo! NO NO!"

"One who takes pride in shallow knowledge or understanding is like a monkey who delights in adorning itself with garbage."

Attain your highest ability, and continue past it. Emotion becomes movement. Express that which makes you; which guides you. Movement and Mind without hesitation. Physical spirituality...
    This is Jeet Kune Do....

Wasn't there a story floating around America about a year ago, about people planting AIDS infected needles in theatre seats so when people sat down on them they would be stuck and contract HIV? Didn't that one prove to be bull?

Don't forget the story about psychos putting HIV infected needles in payphone change thingys. That one was classic!!

~Wen~

Post questions on turn of the century china

i just saw a documentary, the small feet thing bieng cute was the standard but the reality behind the cycosis, the realness behind the practise is feet bieng binded, the womens hips are pressed up or something making her always like a virgin, and that is why they liked it.
    Now how the **** they figure this out, it takes three or four years for the process, and thats just nasty, how did they test that.

Now my question, is this why foriegnors called them the sickmenofasia?. Didnt the manchu make them do this, along with the ponytail?, did the ching do this to thier women?.

diego

This is the unfortunate truth, but yes their feet were tied so that they are kept in-doors instead of going places, not just for beauty. Actually, if you took a look, they are plain ugly. They suffer like this for long periods, I hear stories of them screaming in pain.

One I know, her husband could not bear to watch her in pain, and told her to take it off. Others, are not so lucky....
    Sorry for absense, lots happening.

Lightbulb the documentary said it physically changes the womens hiparea and keeps her like a

virgin, and that is the main reason for it? You know about this?.