Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: This is almost too unbelievable...

Originally posted by red_fists
    Tae Li.

One thing I have learned by living in Asia is that the western/judeo-christian value and moral system does not apply here.

And therefor you need to judge another culture without being influenced by your own.

And I don't think that anybody can do that unless they have lived in multiple countries and REALLY experienced those cultures.

Look at Prostitution in Japan, illegal, yep.
    But at the same time it is one of the biggest accepted Industries in the world.

A Contradiction not at all, but simply a compromise that utilises loop holes in the laws to continue an old cultural tradition way past a "western" law that was passed in 1957.

In old Japan Men were encouraged to visit houses of ill repute or keep an mistress in order to show that they were financially viable.
    Kinda like some countries in Europe a few hundred years ago.

Ooops, said too much.

My point being if I tie a womens foot, or if cultural restrictions force them to wear whalebone corsettes to forcibly slim their waists and thus ruin their Health. It is the same and we still do similar things in modern life and many do and have voluntarily done so.

Some of those were pointed out in previous posts.

Just some food thought.
    I think you touch on a very good point. For example, on the reflection side, Chinese people see that putting your parents to the old folks home is an extremely terrible hehaviour. In western culture, it is an accepted thing. I don't want add salt here and there but....

the point I am making is, every moment of my life, every step, I am making mistakes left, right and center. And until I am able to step out of my circle of ignorance, I will continue to make mistakes, and I have no choice. Such is life, such is samsara.

But until then, I might be speaking, walking, typing, whatever, and countless people are being hurt by me. Gosh, how many insects were hurt on my drive to work ? Or my walk to the garage ? Maybe, one odd day in the future when people could fly using anti-gravity shoes or something, they would say, ' our ancestors drove cars, killed living beings, mined for resource and polluted our worlds, look now" while they are floating away, with gas masks to prevent dying from the CO we caused.

Samsara Samsara Samsara
    Sorry for absense, lots happening.

Originally posted by Tae Li
    Metal rings around their necks? like i said, it may not happen today and it may not happen tomorrow but i truely truely believe that what goes around comes around.
    Until than they will earn their living by mutilating their women on request of strangers.

BTW, you talk a lot of woman being made to suffer.

There are many Cultures where men are also made to suffer, like circumcision at age 13 without any drugs and so on. Most native tribes used disfigurement/pain as a rite of passage for men to allow them to remain a member of the tribe, while women only had to grow up.

But anyhow, the morning green tea calls.

I hear ya Prana, i hear ya.

Tae Li.
    The difference lies in you.

"I understand now that fear is a normal reaction of the Human Body, so why fight it? Accept being afraid, but dont let it hold you back, keep moving forward and the light will shine at the end of the tunnel"
    -Tae Li.

Im not saying that men dont suffer, im sure they do, but obviously its not as common as women which is why not many people hear or know about it.

green tea? i wouldnt mind some nyself actually.

Tae Li

im not THAT much of a feminist, i just have some views on things thats all, like other people do.

"I understand now that fear is a normal reaction of the Human Body, so why fight it? Accept being afraid, but dont let it hold you back, keep moving forward and the light will shine at the end of the tunnel"
    -Tae Li.

GREEN TEA IS EVIL!!!!

Muahahaha!!!!! I am BACK! I will never study!

All right I'm really going now. Just wanted to lighten the mood a bit and my work is boring...

Okay going. I'm gone. See?
    work Ryu...work.

Get back to work!!

Green tea nothing... I need some coffee.

Ryu (really leaving this time)
    "No judo! NO NO!"

"One who takes pride in shallow knowledge or understanding is like a monkey who delights in adorning itself with garbage."

Attain your highest ability, and continue past it. Emotion becomes movement. Express that which makes you; which guides you. Movement and Mind without hesitation. Physical spirituality...
    This is Jeet Kune Do....

Tae Li

I am just taking the pi$$.

But the high heels thing has validity - women do it because they are conditioned to think they look better with them on. However they cause all sorts of problems for women who wear them regularly - often deforming the foot terribly and causing all sorts of foot/leg/back problems.

Now, if you replace 'high heels' with 'foot binding' (or wearing corsets, or waxing the hair off your legs) it is pretty much the same thing.

Anyway, good on you for trying to change things.
    cxxx[]:::::::::::>
    Behold, I see my father and mother.
    I see all my dead relatives seated.
    I see my master seated in Paradise and Paradise is beautiful and green; with him are men and boy servants.
    He calls me. Take me to him.

Stacey Guest

Nature takes its course.

Epidemics happen with overpopulatoin, its how the world stay in balance. I feel the pain of those people. Its the pain of liposuctoin on the fat blob of humanity.

I wish i was sitting infront of my own computer, im at the local ibrary and this guy sitting next to me has is eyes focussed more on mean that his own stupid screen. argh! what does he think i am? a female demonstrating figure???

green tea? coffee? i need drugs.

lol

at least the topic has slightly changed.

tae Li

Ryu, i knoe exactly what you mean? what are working at anyway?

-Tae Li.

Originally posted by Tae Li
    Im not saying that men dont suffer, im sure they do, but obviously its not as common as women which is why not many people hear or know about it.
    That is HIGHLY debateable, i dont doubt that women suffer a lot of mistreatment at the hands of men. I also dont doubt that many children suffer mistreatment at the hands of there parents. Or races at the hands of other races, or religions...
    The buddists say suffering leads to enlightenment, if so i guess we are all at least on the right path.

hehe btw the reason that more is heard about womens suffering that mens is becouse they complain about it more
    Seriously though you cant draw comparisons like that, its simply not really viable.

Change comes from within, if everyone was doing the same thing we wouldnt have the problem. Its only becouse we all call foul on everybody else that these things continue to only be debated and never actualy changed. We need to concentrate on our own bias and our own misconceptions.
    Tae Li you might do well to read up a little of what men go though during war time before making such bold statements as one sex suffers more than another.

Um just a appertiser while you wait for the main meal
    Last edited by jon; 03-14-2002 at 06:16 PM.
    Up and down, forward and backward, left and right, its all the same. All of this is done with the mind, not externaly.
    ------------------------------------
    Shaped dragon and looking monkey, sitting tiger and turning eagle.

"I wonder how they would do against jon's no-tension fu. I bet they'd do REALLY WELL."
    - Huang Kai Vun

his eyes are focussed more on me, mot mean.

excue all the errors.

-Tae Li.

Re: Nature takes its course.

Originally posted by Stacey
    Epidemics happen with overpopulatoin, its how the world stay in balance.
    Thanx Stacey, this is right on the money for me.
    Such is our Karma.

Joedoe

You are officially on my Ignore List !
    hehehe

[
    Tae Li you might do well to read up a little of what men go though during war time before making such bold statements as one sex suffers more than another. [/B][/QUOTE]

dont put words in my mouth Jon.

I didnt say that mean dont suffer.... but i bet my life that stats will show that females suffer alot more than men.

im not making bold statements.

im gonna research this....

Tae Li

-Tae Li.

Stats mean squat.

Did you know that they believe that there are almost as many battered husbands in Australia as there are battered wives, except that they are not reported because of the shame associated with being a battered husband?

Never rely on stats (take this from someone who majored in statistics)
    cxxx[]:::::::::::>
    Behold, I see my father and mother.
    I see all my dead relatives seated.
    I see my master seated in Paradise and Paradise is beautiful and green; with him are men and boy servants.
    He calls me. Take me to him.

more salt on wounds

I heard once, not sure of its validity (old India).

If ones husband has passed away, the wife is to be buried or burnt with him. If she so refuses, she is to carry the bones of her husband on her back for the rest of her life, and she shall be condemned for failure to abide by these rules.

Oh BTW, Jon, Buddhist do not say suffering is the way to enlightenment. Gotama tried these techniques (self torture etc) and found no way to enlightenment, he sat down to look for the nature of the mind, found emptiness. Self punishment, is labelling of oneself. In Buddhism, the self is empty. Reminds me of the story of Bodhidharma saying, "why are you all meditating ?", "What are you trying to achieve ?"
    Last edited by prana; 03-14-2002 at 06:30 PM.

Tae Li
    Im only teasing you first of all so dont take any offence, i know you and you are one of the most level headed people i know. You have also proved to me on many occasions years ago that you had no deliberate bias towards anybody and i respect you for it. Still we all have our little misconceptions, i have pleanty myself and am always on the look out to correct them. That said...

"dont put words in my mouth Jon"
    "i bet my life that stats will show that females suffer alot more than men. "
    * Your still saying the same thing i was picking on... Its not a proveable arguement and its pointless anyway.
    Is it more or less important to be a vegetarian or a carnivore?
    Either way you eat life, one is plant one is animal who are you to decide which has more value?
    Do you see where im going here, its just me but i get annoyed when people get so focussed on sexism against women. I used to work with a full female crew, i was the only guy. The stuff i heard come out of there mouths i will NEVER forget...
    Im talking stuff that made my skin crawl and made me VERY uncomfortable. After they got comfortable having me around they just let fly and it was REALLY scary!
    Women can be every bit as bad as men, sexism is not a gender specific disorder.
    Its also silly to say one sex does it more than the other, this is like the grass is always greener on the other side.

Just saying that its sexism is the problem you need to deal with, breaking it down into men vs women will not serve any good.

I hope you dont take offense as like i say i know you and know you to be a kind hearted person i in NO way mean this on a personal level its just a statement regarding the comments you have made.
    Up and down, forward and backward, left and right, its all the same. All of this is done with the mind, not externaly.
    ------------------------------------
    Shaped dragon and looking monkey, sitting tiger and turning eagle.

"I wonder how they would do against jon's no-tension fu. I bet they'd do REALLY WELL."
    - Huang Kai Vun