Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Bak Mei Sifus Around the World

Kevin Barkman Guest

Bak Mei Sifus Around the World

Greetings all....

I am always in the middle of compiling genealogical charts to better understand the extent of the Arts that I practice.

It seems Cheung Lai Cheun taught quite a few people who have since opened a club of their own. To date, I have included the following in my charts - but I'd like to make this chart as accurate as possible.

I would be grateful if anyone would be so kind as to add / correct / comment / contribute on anyone in this list. I hope to keep the names limited to those who have learned the entire Art, or who operate their own schools....If this is a successful topic, lets do Lung Ying and Yau Gau Moon next. Please include dates and locations, and who was their teacher too. Feel free to also share stories of your Sifus & the Art

Cheung Lai Cheun (1880 - 1964)

First Generation Students:

Cheung Bing Sum (Eldest Son)
    Cheung Bing Fat
    Cheung Bing Lam
    Chow Fook (1914 - 1996)Hong Kong
    So Kim Kwong (Tiger - Hong Kong)
    Sin Man Ho (Hong Kong)
    H. Yen (Hon. Chairman, HKPMBA)
    Lai Hung (San Fransisco)
    David Chan (New York)
    Y. Mak (Hong Kong)
    D.K. Lee (New York)
    K.C. Chan
    Kong Mien Ho (Barber? - Holland)
    Jie Kon Sieuw (Amstradam)
    Yeung Shu (Hong Kong)
    H.B Un (London, Author of "Pak Mei Kung Fu")
    C.T. Tsang
    Chan Wah (Texas)
    Luo Kung (Futshan, China)
    S.H. Chan
    Kwong Man Fong (New York - author of BM Video)
    Pan Nam Lee
    Ng Nam King (Chairman, HKBMA)
    Ng Yiu "Big Yiu" (1907 - ?) Author of PM Tig.Fork

Second Generation Students:

(Mark)Chan Yin Wah (Edmonton)1940 - (Chow Fook St)
    Y. Ng (Hong Kong - So Kim Kwong Student)
    Robert Hui (Chow Fook Student)
    Andy Truong (Wah Nam / Australia - Chau Xuan St)
    N.K Ng
    Lai Sai Kung (Jie Kon Sieuw Student / Holland)
    Chau Xuan (Vietnam, Cheung Bing Lam Student)
    Dr. Wong Yiu Quang (Tennessee - N.K. Ng Student)

Willie Pang / Henry Zucker / Kwok Kwong / David Garcia - students of Kwong Man Fong

Tsang Chow Tak (London - student of HB Un)
    S.K. Mo (Student of HB Un)
    Lou Han-Zhong (San Fran - student of Luo Kung)
    "Lee" -Student of Chow Fook-teacher to Mike Doucet
    Eddie Chong (student of Pan Nam Lee)

(sorry to have missed so many other names!)

Third Generation - well, lets keep it to generations one and two to start, and see how it goes....Lets try to be INCLUSIVE rather than exclusive - lets try to expand our understanding, rather than limit it.

Cheers - Kevin

fiercest tiger Guest

kevin

you forgot chuk fut wan- monk that taught clc, and before him. :)

what im trying to say if you are doing a lineage chart do the whole lot from the beginning.
    peace

bakmeimonk@hotmail.com

South Paw Guest
    Lee Sai Keung was a student of CLC. He taught the art in Surinam. I was told he was the oldest student of CLC. He went to Paramaribo, Surinam, South America in 1968. There he taught PM to the Chinese community.
    Kong Mien Ho and Jie Kon Siew were his students. Lee Sai Keung died in 1974. His second son Lee Man Tat taught the art in Hong Kong and third son Lee Man Ho took over in Paramaribo.
    Kong Mien Ho came to the Netherlands in 1974 soon followed by Jie Kon Siew. Kong Mien Ho is living and teaching in Amsterdam. Jie Kon Siew is/was teaching in several places in the Netherlands as well as Belgium.
    There was also a student of Lee Sai Keung, Li Ket Pui who went to England.

Maybe senior students of them in the Netherlands can give some more and update information.

South Paw

MarkS Guest
    An addition in the UK, P.Lee (taught by H.B.Un)
    Also Chan Tak Tang who I think was also an H.B.Un student but I'm not sure.

Mark S

mantis108 Guest

Great work, Kevin

I would like to rally support for Kevin's effort to make the chart. He has one nice one made and looks like he is updating the information on it. BTW, Kevin, is C.S. Tang on your chart as well?

Mantis108

Contraria Sunt Complementa

tnwingtsun Guest

Bak Sifus around the world

This is a great post Kevin,the way I've got in my line as follows,Monk (wonder what his mama named him?) Whitebrow,Monk Kwang Huei,Monk Fah Yuen,Chang Lai Chuen,Ng Nam King and Chang Beng Fatt,Dr YQ Wong,and a few out out of my group who Dr. Wong passed on the honor to teach,Tom Murphy,Mike Boring,David(the teeth puller)Camble(He really is a good dentist),Chris Ables(sorry Chris,you were the dog) and Bill Thomson (sorry Bill,you got me into Bai Mei,lol) and others that Dr. Wong graduated while I was gone,the tree splits wide

tnwingtsun Guest

Bak Mei Sifus

Sorry Kevin,the Amercan names I listed came out of what has been called "Dr.Wong's late 70s and 80s group",these guys went through years of blood,sweat and tears to gain the right to teach,some do some don't,when CLC's son came to town he told me he was still learning,Dr.Wong is in his 60s and he tells me he's still learning,so its hard to say who knows the entire system.So if the Generals in the Style that I have met tell me that they are still learning then I guess only God knows the entire system,not trying to be a butt Kevin,just food for thought

tnwingtsun Guest

Sifus around the world

I'm confused Kevin,I would be considered a 3rd gen.,but if I went to New york and studied under Kwong Man Fong I would get to sit on the second gen.list with Dr.Wong.Wong and Kwong are very close in age but a whole gen apart,lol,now I am being a butt,nah,I'm just bored,better go do some Sui nim tau,or better yet work on my Nine Step Push,Don't hate me cuz ya ain't me :)

Olaf Guest

PMP Holland

Hi Kevin. GREAT Effort!
    Jie Kon Sieuw is indeed a student of Lee Sai Keung (=first generation). So please take away Lai Sai Kung from the second generation and move Jie Kon Sieuw and Kong Mien Ho to second generation.
    Good luck and thumbs up for the work you did so far!

CLOUD ONE Guest

Unknown

Hi Kevin,
    Does your lineage studies include any of the Si fus that don't have a school?
    In the list you have compiled, how many are Hakka?

I ask because there seems to be none.

Ace Guest
    Any idea where in Texas Chan Wah would be?

For that matter, does anyone know of any Bak Mei teachers anywhere near the Dallas, Tx area ?

tnwingtsun Guest

Sifus

Chin Dor(Cantonise) of NY was CLC's student,KMF calls him "Grand Uncle",Chin Dor was the first person to introduce KMF to CLC when he was 22 years old,at that time KMK was working as a barber.

Kevin Barkman Guest

Thanks!

Wow - thanks very much to Southpaw,MarkS, Tnwingtsun, Olaf, Mantis108 and everyone else for your contributions so far! I am very pleased to update my European connections, as well as Dr. Wong's students!

This Chin Dor fellow sounds like a serious teacher from what I'm seeing. I don't know where Chan Wah in Texas teaches - I have an old article that simply says he teaches somewhere there.

When you are trying to assemble such an enormous amount of information, it is hard to keep everyone and their students straight. I guess I would only include those in the genealogy who actively teach (or did teach) - even if it is only a small group.

Anyway, this info so far will help to flesh it out a bit. I have a lot of the info down on paper already, but I'm going to wait a few more weeks before setting down a more permanent version. Of course I know it will continue to grow - I thought I'd do a new one once a year. If anyone would like to contribute to this project, I would be glad to mail a finalized version out to you. If you want to send me your particulars - I'd need to know who you are, your school, etc.

Cheers and "Keep it coming"! - kevin

Kevin Barkman Guest

Thanks!

Wow - thanks very much to Southpaw,MarkS, Tnwingtsun, Olaf, Mantis108 and everyone else for your contributions so far! I am very pleased to update my European connections, as well as Dr. Wong's students!

This Chin Dor fellow sounds like a serious teacher from what I'm seeing. I don't know where Chan Wah in Texas teaches - I have an old article that simply says he teaches somewhere there.

When you are trying to assemble such an enormous amount of information, it is hard to keep everyone and their students straight. I guess I would only include those in the genealogy who actively teach (or did teach) - even if it is only a small group.

Anyway, this info so far will help to flesh it out a bit. I have a lot of the info down on paper already, but I'm going to wait a few more weeks before setting down a more permanent version. Of course I know it will continue to grow - I thought I'd do a new one once a year. If anyone is interested in having a copy of this project, I would be happy to share it with the schools - but I will post more info on that later.

Cheers and "Keep it coming"! - kevin

kull Guest

I posted this on other message, but anyway-

Why would KMF call Chen Dor "grand uncle"?? SInce they both learn from Cheung Lai Chun.