Thread: Shoes?

Shoes?

Hey all, I have a question for you about shoes!

I am checking out that banner link as Im searching for a pair of shoes for whatever Kung Fu school I finally decide to join. I wanted to ask if anyone's had an experience with any of those shoes, or has any recommendations of shoes that would work well.

Should I get specialized shoes for Kung FU?

Would it be better to simply get a pair of tennis shoes? etc.

My feet are male 11.5 , normal width. Any of your suggestions would be helpful.

Well my personal favorites are the old school kung fu boots with the rubber soul, but if you want a really good shoe, go for some Discipline shoes. They are built really well and I have several friends that love them!

-Golden Arms-
    -Golden Arms-

Kung Fu Shoes

Hey mate,

Personally I have had no experience of these specially designed martial art shoes other than to have seen them so am no authority but I think most of them appear to have very thin soles which offers you no protection against impact (though of course I could be wrong, please could anyone correct me on this if I am, I am interested in the subject also!). Why not try a normal trainer (but MUST have a completely flat sole, no running shoes, etc.) and see how you go and if you're still not happy try out a pair?

Hope this has given you something to think about,

take care,

Mantis

Hey Mannek,

Really depends on the style, I recommend a GOOD cross-trainer, do not settle for the ole flat bottom kung fu shoe or boot. These are terrible, get something that can absorb some punishment. You screw your feet up, what do you do then?

ttt42023

How Wushu Ruyi makes martial arts and style worlds meet
    by Maria Cristina Pavarini — June 30, 2023

Wushu Ruyi is an Italian sneaker brand that will soon further expand internationally and evolve to offer a wider selection of products in line with its origins and style, but aimed at a young and fashion-minded clientele.

Wushu Ruyi
    Today the brand is sold in 37 countries through over 800 multi brand stores. Its revenues are over €15 million, of whose 45% is from Italy. Along with it, it continues to grow also internationally and especially in France, Germany, Belgium, The UK, The Netherlands and Scandinavia.

This minimalistic, high-quality and very comfortable sneaker brand originates from an idea by two Italian brothers, Walter and Paolo Lorini, two renowned Italian athletes and champions who dedicated themselves to the culture and discipline of Wushu, an Asian martial art.

From the late 1960s to 1970s, the Lorini brothers were enrolled as members of one of the earliest martial arts gyms in Milan. They first started doing Karate and Paolo racked up five wins in the Italian championship. Those victories lead them to make another fundamental discovery of a thousands-year old art that in Italy was still unknown–Wushu.

Walter and Paolo Lorini
    A few years later, in 1987 Walter won the European Champion title in Barcelona, and became the first athlete awarded with a gold metal of Taji which made him being named as the first Italian Shaolin Monk, as part of the 32nd generation.

In the same years, more precisely in 1985, Walter and Paolo created the first shoes specifically devised for this sport: The first Wushu shoes were born.

The first Wushu shoes created by brothers Paolo and Walter Lorini
    In 2017, Mauro Di Liddo, an expert insider of the fashion market and a connoisseur of the sneaker universe, created a Wushu sneaker variant inspired by the Lorini brothers sport shoe characterized by the Ru Yi, an ancient Oriental symbol and a historic amulet belonging to the emperors of the Qing dynasty who lived and reigned in China from 1644 to 1911. That symbol is actually considered as a talisman that can fulfill the desires of the heart.

Since 2002 Di Liddo has been CEO of Blackboard, his family’s company founded in 1996, known for having launched some bestselling shoe models like, for instance, the Police 883 boot and, among others, the sneaker brand Munich, inspired by soccer played among five-people teams.

Blackboard sells a vast selection of men's, and women's clothing, accessories and footwear brands including some own ones and others it distributes in Italy and internationally. Among them there are Karl Lagerfeld sneakers, Laidback London, Police 883, Sendra, Stutterheim, Swiss Criss, Szen along with Wushu Ruyi and many others.

Wushu Ruyi
    Wushu is available in two models only–Master, offered in over 50 color variants and combinations, and Special Edition One, a premium version of the sneaker characterised by a smaller embroidered logo, a more essential and streamlined design available in ten color variants only.

They are sold respectively at €150 and €188 at retail. Both are sold through stores selling both apparel and footwear, though according to a different distribution network, as the premium line is sold through only 80 higher-end and selected boutiques.

Wushu Ruyi, Special Edition One
    “We like to develop this brand by constantly launching new projects, though always very carefully and thoroughly,” explained Di Liddo who launched the Premium line a season ago.

“Our aims include, for instance, to start selling it in markets such as Asia and The US, all areas that have a high growth potential and could appreciate it significantly,” continues Di Liddo.

Wushu Ruyi
    “We might soon also launch an apparel selection, but in a limited selection of pieces and in-keeping with their Asian identity and minimalistic design approach,” he continued, meaning they have no rush, as the universe of Wushu art has taught him, too.
    This is the first that I've heard of this line. They actually look terrible for wushu because the heel is so high.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post
    This is the first that I've heard of this line. They actually look terrible for wushu because the heel is so high.
    I can't think of any other martial art where these shoes would offer an advantage.

Let's stick the discussion to martial art shoes only. The sole should be flat with arch support. That is true for any type of usage. For martial art training, the thickness of the sole is from 1 to 2 cm. With training on hard floor surface, the sole should be thicker.

Regards,

KC
    Hong Kong

Greetings,

I have been looking at the photos for a good while. From first glance, one might think that they are some kind of platform shoe. The foot is pretty level and the heel is actually cradled, which I find interesting. The cradling appears to help prevent the foot from turning over during lateral moves. So, unlike other models, it has a protective function. I think Gene's company had a training shoe that offered similar protection. The design was different.

mickey

Greetings,

For those who looking for shoes reminiscent of the shoes we saw the wushu players wearing back in the 70's and 80's should take a look at the Taygra shoes. Check out their history:

https://www.taygra.shoes/

mickey

Belated post

Sorry, I didn't see this in time. I didn't even know this was a thing...

Kung-fu shoe flipping tournament coming back to Yokohama Chinatown
    Master Blaster Nov 1, 2023

Kick off your shoes and have a good time.

There’s that old saying that everyone in the world is the best at something and it’s just a matter of finding what that thing is. This is also true of kicking a single kung-fu shoe of a foot in terms of distance and straightness. Right now, somewhere out there sits the world’s greatest kung-fu shoe flipper and they probably don’t even know it.

That’s why we should all head down to Yokohama Chinatown on 3 November and take part in the 2023 Kung-fu Shoe Flying World Championships. This is quite likely the only organized tournament devoted to the art of flicking off shoes like the ones Bruce Lee used to wear and anyone can compete.

The way it works is simple. Each contestant is given a pair of kung-fu shoes and must kick off one of the shoes along a narrow lane. If the shoe flies outside of the boundaries of the lane then the kick is disqualified and the shoe that travels the ****hest is declared the winner.

▼ A video taken from last year’s contest

Before you go racing for that pair of kung-fu shoes in your closet, it should be noted that all contestants must use the tournament’s shoes to ensure fairness. The tournament is also divided into men’s and women’s divisions and there’s even a separate competition for junior high students and younger.

And in addition to all that, three prizes will also be awarded to the most entertaining contestants, regardless of their respective kung-fu-shoe kicking distances. However, for those only interested in sheer kicking, the world record to beat currently stands at 29.81 meters (97.8 feet) and was set in 2017 by a kicker in the men’s division.

And for those few folks who aren’t even interested in kicking kung-fu shoes off their feet, the Kung-fu Shoe Flying World Championships is just one part of the Kitamon Festival taking place in the same place on the same day. Food and drinks will be served all day long and there will be musical performances from start to finish.

But for those serious about kung-fu-shoe kicking, entry costs 100 yen (US$0.67) per kick and the first 390 contestants who sign up will receive a special edition Yokohama bottle of Coca-Cola. To do so, just follow the Kitamon Festival account on the messaging app Line, text “I hope to participate” (参加希望), and start practicing your kicks.

Maybe you’ll be crowned the next world champion? And if not, you can always vent your frustrations at the World Table Flipping Tournament held in Iwate Prefecture.

Event information
    Kung-fu Shoe Flying World Championships / カンフーシューズ飛ばし世界大会
    Address: Kanagawa-ken, Yokohama-shi, Naka-ku, Yama****acho, Yokohama Chinatown, Kitamon-dori
    神奈川県横浜市中区山下町横浜中華街 北門通り
    3 November, 2023
    Reception begins at 9:30 a.m.
    Competition runs from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m.
    Winners are awarded at 5:30 p.m.
    website
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

speaking of shoes weighted shoe pads seem great and do wonders for passive training. I like the steel shot ones infused in rubber. Maybe martialartsmart can consider stocking some?

Honorary African American
    grandmaster instructor of Wombat Combat The Lost Art of Anal Destruction™®LLC .
    Senior Business Director at TEAM ASSHAMMER consulting services ™®LLC

Quote Originally Posted by bawang View Post
    speaking of shoes weighted shoe pads seem great and do wonders for passive training. I like the steel shot ones infused in rubber. Maybe martialartsmart can consider stocking some?
    Great idea! I once saw a really trick live tai chi sword form by a Wudang master that had some lead or gold built into his shoes. Probably lead. If I can't buy some, then someday I will probably have a shoemaker make some for me...

Quote Originally Posted by YinOrYan View Post
    Great idea! I once saw a really trick live tai chi sword form by a Wudang master that had some lead or gold built into his shoes. Probably lead. If I can't buy some, then someday I will probably have a shoemaker make some for me...
    weighted shoe pads are available on amazon, if my memory serves me. If not, taobao sells thems for 15 USD, which can be bought through a third party service. After wearing them daily for 1.5 years, the footwork becomes more lively, and running stamina is increased. The effect remains after 3 months of not wearing them, but will probably do once a week.
    Last edited by bawang; 12-20-2023 at 05:54 PM.

Honorary African American
    grandmaster instructor of Wombat Combat The Lost Art of Anal Destruction™®LLC .
    Senior Business Director at TEAM ASSHAMMER consulting services ™®LLC