Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to keep building while doing cardio?

How to keep building while doing cardio?

I have started doing a lot more cardio than I am used to for boxing. It's mostly speed rope but theres jogging, stepping, and some other stuff in there too, and I have never worked that hard in my life. By the end of a workout I will be completely covered in sweat and very tired. Can I keep building muscle while doing this every two days? If i make sure to get the extra calories and keep up the protein, how much difference will it make?
    "That is because you are stupid"
    -Zorro

New Jersey--where the weak are killed and eaten
    Most people in the medical field whose opinions I've read all say that too much cardio will take up protein, and eventually your body will begin to cabolotize(sp?) muscle. Basically, that means that your biody will begin to break down the muscle you've gained to gain the protein in it. Once or twice a week should be good, because even though you are taking in extra protein/calories, etc., you're using up more energy by your increased workouts. Ok, I, uh, don't really know the answer to your question, but it makes sense logically, right?

Try a Yoga class

Brian
    San Francisco,CA

Uh, you can't build muscle and lose fat at the same time. If you're just doing cardio for health benefits and not to lose fat, then the solution is just to eat more to compensate for the calories you burn while doing cardio, I guess.

IronFist
    "If you like metal you're my friend" -- Manowar

"I am the cosmic storms, I am the tiny worms" -- Dimmu Borgir

<BombScare> i beat the internet
    <BombScare> the end guy is hard.

Try to get a good amount of carbs in about an hour before your cardio session. Afterwards try to get a huge amount of carbs in and a decent amount of protein.

Lay Off the Carbs.

Carbs are bad. Where have you been under a rock? ElPetro?

A small amount of carbs before you do your cardio is fine but stay away from them after and eat a large amount of protien.

Protien=Muscle

From personal experince on a high protien diet I have lost weight, gained strength and muscle mass.

Drink lots of water.

Where do you box?
    All the world's a stage,
    And all the men and women merely players:
    They have their exits and their entrances;
    And one man in his time plays many parts, ...

William Shakespeare
    "As You Like It"
    Act 2, Scene 7

Re: Lay Off the Carbs.

Originally posted by Johnny Hot Shot
    Carbs are bad. Where have you been under a rock? ElPetro?

A small amount of carbs before you do your cardio is fine but stay away from them after and eat a large amount of protien.

Protien=Muscle

From personal experince on a high protien diet I have lost weight, gained strength and muscle mass.

Drink lots of water.

Where do you box?
    Good job, keep spewing false information. Carbs aren't bad...but I'm sure your fad diet is working great isn't it!

Since you are so sure of yourself please feel free to explain your point of view...you can even copy and paste from all the adkins sites on the net. *teehee*

Yeah Ok Hosehead

My Bad I forgot you need lots of carbs up in Canada Just to keep warm...

let me guess your Carb of Choice is Molson eh.

As for my experience....

I've probably forgotten more than you'll ever know.
    Last edited by Johnny Hot Shot; 03-19-2002 at 12:12 PM.
    All the world's a stage,

William Shakespeare
    "As You Like It"
    Act 2, Scene 7

Good mature answer. Glad to see that your follow confirms that you are an idiot. Say hi to Jenny Craig when you are on her diet next!

I guess you wouldn't know anything about insulin responses, or glycemic indices, or what fuel your body uses in certain instances? Or what really causes weight losses and the variety of hormonal responses that can be triggered by certain diets. High protein isn't bad but neither are carbs. I've lost plenty of bodyfat on a 40/30/30 split of protein/carbs/fat. Oh but fat must be bad too right? Oh wait Dr.Atkins tells you it's not. Why don't you do some f*cking research before bringing your dumbas$ in here and embarrasing yourself.

Maybe you should go relearn what you've forgotten cuz what you remember is plain BS.

I will respond again if you want to actually post something informative or remotely resembling intelligent thought.

Hehehe. Thank you Dr. Atkins!

Like Kung Fu

it depends on the person.

No one diet works for everyone for me an atkins style diet has help me achiev goals that I could'nt before.

Elpietro, I hope you fight as good as you talk because with a mouth like ypu'll need it. Congrats your the first person that has made me want to make an internet challange ... But that's just silly.

Cause I'd kick your a$$. Jerk
    All the world's a stage,

William Shakespeare
    "As You Like It"
    Act 2, Scene 7

ha ha! You guys crack me up when you get to arguing

What ever happend to Jenny Craig?
    I am nothing.

Johnny I'll assume your anger is triggered by your inability to apply any intelligence to the thoughts you posted earlier. Do you normally say sh!t you know nothing about? When people like you post I then start doubting most things they say...if you know sh!t about food how do I know you aren't talking out of your a$$ on your martial arts as well.

Internet threats are quite amusing, and are good for only one thing: making you look even more retarded.

Those with rational thought here will view my posts as simply trying to show my thoughts backed up by the research I spend my free time doing. I don't just make statements I've read on the news or in fad diets and not understand what I'm saying. The reason I'm here is to help others and hopefully learn a thing or two along the way. When I feel that most people don't want me to post here because they think I post BS I'll simply leave. Then they can listen to people like you and just cut out their carbs and eat high protein diets and then find out they need to go on an exlax diet because they are sh!tting solid bricks.

All I ask is for you to back up what you say. If you find my questions intimidating, or your inability to answer them humiliating feel free to go away.

lOWSWEEP,
    If you are trying to build muscle you need a decent amount of carbs as well as protein after your workout. Carbohydrates is the vehicle that carries protein to the muscle. Carbohyhydrates=vehicle. A good amount for me when I was "bulking up" was 80 grams about 45 mins after a workout and at least 30 grams of protein. Your body can only assimilate 30 grams of protein per serving. This does not mean that you should only take in 30 grams because all of that 30 may not be assimilated. So 40 grams may be even better, especially if your doing cardio. This is only a general formula, once you get started and you know your body, you can begin to Tailor it to your metablolism/assimlation %.

assimilate- this means when protein is broken down carried and turned into the muscle. -- very generic definition.

JHS- This is really unlike you lashing out at people, especially at EP, he usually brings valuable(sp) information to the table.

Amitoufu,

AOF
    Arhat of Fury

carbs do = good

i was on that protien diet for quite awhile... and if you got a lot of lard on you, yeah its definately good because you have all that fat to burn for energy

however, im 6' and 155 lbs (on a good day)... and let me tell you - if your not fat, you NEED the carbs

the high protien low carb died burned me out

now that im back eating carbs i got a whole lot more energy; and am putting on just as much muscle as i was before, and i havent noticed a difference in my definition

peace
    trav
    Travis

structure in motion