Thread: Blocking an Elbow

Blocking an Elbow

The other day I was sparing against someone who does Kick boxing. He kept coming close and used an elbow attack so I simply just used a forward kick to stop him dead. But then I wanted to tryout other ways of blocking an elbow strike without using my feet. I was very limited to what I could use because of the strength and solidness of the elbow. I stepped back and let the elbow pass then stepped in with a Pak Sau to trap his arm.

So what other ways could I of used during my spar?
    Don't concentrate on the finger or you will lose all that heavenly glory.

2. you could rotate away from it, staying on his centre while he continues to travel to your old centre and NAIL HIM as he passes! Backing off then coming back in is okay but it also gives him time to recalibrate.

there is an expression....

"Diamond to diamond." But, unfortunately, I'm not sure what it means, but I'm certain it pertains to your dilemma. Perhaps someone else on this forum could shed some light?
    Love is the answer.

use your own elbow.

throw a lan sau up under his arm and you can push him back easily as well as open up targets under his arm.
    Stupidity - the number one sexually transmitted disease.

Just curious....

Phenix_Eye

How is the elbow being thrown?

Matrix

depending on the type elbow used you response will vary. having said that, an elbow must be used at a very close range & unless it is coming straight up at a vertical angle it will usually take a rounded path.
    seeing as though you are only sparring you can not use probably the best technique available, a straight punch. this when used in reality will always beat the elbow to the punch( pardon the pun)
    i have also tested this against an elbow coming flat out( only in training because in reality i have found that by the time somebody gets to that range they are already being overwhelmed by my attacks rather than being able to use to much of their own) but a well placed tan punch combo can easily stop a full force elbow. it's the movement that sheers foward & can easily disipate the force of an elbow moving round.
    now a good wing chun or thai elbow that cuts foward & down is alot harder to deal with & once exercuted correctly & in the correct range you are not looking good, i have developed my way of dealing with this but again the straight punch is always my prefered option.
    as someone also said changing the angle is a good idea, however if you have time to do this then you must have had time to do something more economical( ie the straight punch)
    i know you are only sparring & this is one reason sparring can develop bad habits, you can't use wing chun as the brutal art it can be. also in reality you have let the man get to close to start or you have made a mistake & either way you are looking like you may be in trouble.
    sorry if i was no help but glad to be if i was, these are my own ways & will differ to others including yourself. train hard & learn to apply the principles of wing chun & i'm sure you find the answers you seek.
    vts
    [disclaimer- i am about to be rude, antagonistic & terribly offensive- but i love ya's all]

you could flex at the waist backwards out of range of the elbow then pak or fak or even bong sau behind the actual elbow ,pushing the elbows trajectory on then step in and do your thing and wrap the guy up
    later days

The elbow itself...

wasn't used just by itself. He usually came in first with a jab or punch then used a lot of power and acceleration in the elbow.

I've been thinking about this all day and can't wait to spar with him again.
    Don't concentrate on the finger or you will lose all that heavenly glory.

Smile hi my wi.ch. brothers

my friends one time im beat one man tho have kick boxing club in my town , and im use more tiger for puch and eagle texnic for send him in non natural position and in last and say to him : my friend that texnic of wing chun im use just to do morons of amateurs not for serios fight . that kick boxers is realy for .... like expreso and acue minealika for free time
    /

How are you able to use your feet to counter his elbow? If he is any good at it he should be well within your effective kicking range before using his elbow.
    If he is not, and you are able to kick him just do that. No need to overly complicate things

Now lets pressume he is close to you and throws a horisontal elbow then try this;
    If he hits with his right elbow, use a left sideling tan sao with your left hand and simultan punch him with your right.
    If he overpowers your Tan, change it to a bong sao and simultaniously pull your head slightly back while turning your stance into a left sideling stance. This will deflect his elbow, and you now put your own elbow on top of his. next punch him in the face with your right hand or kick his legs out from under him.
    Simpel and effective

I dont know if this helped, but trust me its much simpler than it looks by the description.

Now a good exercise is to stand two persons infront of each other. Let person a do a right horisontal elbow strike. Person b deflects with the Tan & bong technic. Immidiately after that person b do a elbow strike with his right and and person a deflects. after a while change sides.
    very quickly you will become familiar with the deflection technic and it will become second nature

One final tidbit. To me your friend doesnt sound that advanced in his approach to elbow technics. Many people fall into the trap of throwing the elbow from to far away, where frankly it would be much better to just use a straight punch. Remember that although the elbow is very effective, its a last ditch attack, for when you are to close to your opponent to properly execute a punch or kick. And almost never should it be used as a first attack.

So what is the best distance to use an elbow. Try standing in front of another person of equal height, and put your elbow to your gut. Now get as close to your partner as you can until your palm touches his stomach. That is the optimum outer distance for your elbow. now remove your arm and get close enough for you to be able to bite him on the nose without bending your back. That is the optimum inner distance
    You will still be able to use elbow technics outside these ranges, but at a lower efficiency.

Block an elbow with an elbow. Wing Chun Idiom. However, as elbows and knees go together, if your elbow doesn't work also use a wing chun knee!!!.Hope this helps!!!