Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Monk White Eyebrow daoist or Shaolin?

tnwingtsun Guest
    Hiya Tiger,I've got a tape that has Ken Lo on it,I'll put that in the box for ya too,my friend who gave me the tape said that there is another Wu Mei org. that looks nothing like Ken's Wu Mei,I belive Ken says in the tape that Wu Mei is another name for the Nun Ng Mui(the Shaolin Nun that trained Wing Chun),I'll watch it again, peace bro

eightgates Guest
    Wu Mei is the Mandarin pronounciation of the Cantonese Ng Mui. There appears to be two different ways to write the name. In both, Wu (Ng) means the number 5. Mei (Mui) is written as either "plums" or "branches" depending on the Chinese ideogram. The other organization you are referring to most likely belongs to the late Wai Ming Chau who was Ken Lo's school brother. Both studied under Grandmaster Pang Hop (Peng Hsieh in Mandarin).

kull Guest
    Are the five elders real? I don't know for certain. I don't know of any historical records, of reliablility that mentions them. But also written chinese records rarely have to do with martial art history. If there are any can someone tell me about it. I would definately like to know.

MoQ Guest
    ...Of the important masters, there were 5 altogether that escaped the razing of Fukien Shil Lum. They didn't escape together, with the exception of Fung Do duk and Bak Mei. There were NO "5-Elders" and they never gigged clubs together and were never a real group.
    To the extent that they can be crossreferenced and are held by lineages that claim them, they have reality and these people may be the only ones rightfully concerned...

tnwingtsun Guest

Chan Monk White Eyebrow Part 1

Current writters and website operators mistakenly identify our founder as a Taoist prist.As a result Bai-Mei has been called a taoist system.
    From the perspective of Chinese culture and the history of Chinese religions,most writers who presented Bai Mei the Chan Monk as a taoist priest overlooked the an important distinction between the taoist as a philosopheror the man of tao who practices the way of tao and the taoist priest who practices the religion.(religious taoism).
    Modern Bai Mei Shaolin started with CLC.Hence the ultimate authory on the orgin of our system rests with him.He,his children and his disciple Chan Suey Dor(also known as Chan Dor) of New York all agreed on one thing,that Bai Mei is a Shaolin system.This statment is supported with the following discovery:Chang's oldest son Beng Lum produced a book,Bai Mei,Chang Lai Chuen in 1989.On the first page we find a pic of CLC sitting with the background of a Chinese word for longevity flanked with two colums of characters.On the next page another shows his son Chang Beng Lum sitting against another frame of writting,but flanked with the same colum of charactures.The right one says:Bai Mei transmits the true superior art.The left one says:Inside the halls of Siu-sud(as apart of Mt.Song,being another way of referring to the Shoalin Monastery)are exhibited the results of wonder.There is a pic of Chang Beng-Fatt,it shows him under a colored banner bering this message: "Bai Mei came from Chan Buddhism"It evolved from Shoalin's martial arts inside the Shaolin Monastery of Den-feng, Mountain Song in Henan.However how did the notion taoist religion creep into the history of Bai Mei?
    HB Un's book has a photostat copy of a drawing of a person in taoist robes was represented as the "portrat of White Eyebrow"The chinese statemaent stated that this was the "genuine of Bai Mei,the spirtualy real person(ibid)"Pointedly,the next two pics contain a caption under the pics stating:"the monk Chuk Fat Wan, the teacher of GM CLC in chan buddest garb and GM CLC in taoist robes.The author apparently could not discern the difference between buddhist and taoist ones.Most amusedly,both Chuk Fat Wan and Chang Lai Chuen actually had buddist robes.
    Third the book,Emperor Chen Toured Southern china(Shortened as Emperor Chen-Lun) that was written about 150 tears ago described the fight between Bai Mei and Ji-sin.There is not much significant difference between the two versions(Hung-ga's),except(1)that in this version of the story Bai Mei and his students are the good ones,and Ji-sins students are the abusers of the martial arts.Ji-sin was supposedly guilty of spoiling his students
    (2) Bai Mei and his students were authorized to capture those abusers who had mudered some innocent people
    (3) that although the two versions agree that that Bai Mei and Ji-sin were both members of the five elders of the Shaolin system,in the book Emperor Chen-lun,our founder the Chan Monk Bai Mei was addressed sometimes as a man of Tao,sometimes as old Monk(pg.189).It is self-evident that any elders of the Shoalin Temple must be buddhist,and as abbots of temples they were most certainly Chan Buddhist Monks,not priests of the taoist religion.
    Evidently,the writer used the word "Tao" in a dual sence.Thus,man of"Tao" can be interpreeted to mean both the taoist religion practitioner and also to whoever pursues his spiritual path in a taoist way,He not only used "men of tao" to cover both Ji-sin and Bai Mei,but also to identify Ji-sin's(Gee-Shin)students.To futher substantiate this point,consider the following points.On page 182,Ji-sin was reported to say"because they(Bai Mei and his disciples) do not treat us as fellow men of the same school and the same tao". Next the writer describes the situation immediately before the fight saying..."We see two men of tao,hurriedly entering reporting to Ji-sin,Sifu,really bad news"
    The religion of Chan Monk Ji-sin has never been qustioned.Thus,the religion of his colleague of the same school and of the same tao,should not be questioned and most certainly not called a practitioner of the Taoist religion/Taoist Priest

Shaolin Master Guest
    Agreed.
    Thanks for the effort to outline it so thoroughly.
    What was Bak Mei's real name ? or monk name ?
    what generation ? which Fujian Temple (and thus or was it Henan ? His ordainer/Predecessor?
    These are other interesting questions

Regards,

Shi Chan Long

meltdawn Guest
    Just a word of kudos for Ken Lo Shing Gwei:

He's a very outspoken representative for martial arts and Chinese culture in NYC. He is the Director of the China Arts Council. Aside from wu mei pai, he teaches qigong, calligraphy and cooking.

"Waiting is bad." - Musashi

tnwingtsun Guest

Good question

I wish I knew,and will try to find out,I hope this and the last post helped Kulls question on books about this subject.
    Chan Monk Jok Fan-yuen(Chu Fa yun) who taught Monk Lien-sang(Lein-shang) and Chang Lai-chuen
    raises some interesting points.
    The word "Jok" as in Jok Fah-yeun has been most misunderstood.It has been used as one of the two family names of Buddhist in China.It refers to the ancient name of India.
    "Tien-chu" and "chuen-chu".And "Jok" ("chu") is the shortened form of "tien-chu" and "chuen-tu" on account of "chu' and "tu" as used in the Chinese language of Han and Tang periods(202BC-907AD?)
    It reminded all Buddhist that Buddha came from India or Tien-chu or Chuen-tu.
    Another surename for the Buddhist is "Sak"(Shih).
    It is the shortened version of "Sakyamuni",
    the name of Buddha.For example,the Shaolin Monks have "Sak" as their generic family name; and in their given,the second word indicates their generation in the genealogical chart,the third word is the given name;for intance,Sak Su-i.
    As to Chan Monk Bai Mei,I don't know,I would like
    to find out though
    :)

kull Guest
    The book Emepror Chen Lun. This is not a historical book that we can rely on. It is a story book that was written some time ago(actually 150 yrs. is not long at all, but rather recent)At 150 yrs. ago, 1850, Bai Mei, if there is even such a person, would have been dead long ago. That is why i doubt it can be used as a historical reference.

In the end we are only taking the words of people who don't really have any evidence to show that he was one or the other(buddhist vs. tao).

But does that really matter? whether he is tao or buddhist? I have read stories that say he tao others say he is buddhist. I have practiced for many yrs. and my father told me when i asked him, does it make ur kungfu any better?

tnwingtsun Guest

ShaolinMaster

Now that you've got me on a roll,please feel free to correct me at anytime,I'm here to learn.
    "Shaolin" as used in martial arts circles refers to its origin at the Buddhist site on one of the highest mountains of China called "Song" in the province of Henan,China.
    It was first built built in 495 A.D. In 527 A.D.An indain Monk named Buddhidarma came to settle down in this monastery,preaching Chan Buddhism fist of its kind in china.He was given credit for two developments,the begainnings of chan buddhism and Shaolin Martial arts.
    As such fountainheads,Shaolin temple has become one of the most famous places on earth.
    The residents and elders of this temple are chan monks.The Chan Monks produce their diciples in chan buddhism.There are some Taoist temples on Mt. Song who produce taoist priests.The Monks do not produce priests and vice versa because they are two different faiths with seperate doctrines.I should mention in passing that in chinese,there are three different characters referring to three different spiritual sites: "Chih" refers to the temple for buddhist monks(seng) and nuns ("ni");
    kuan to the taoist temple,and "mu" to to the temple of cultural princible heros like Confucius and Lord Kuan and other deities like god of household and kitchen. :)

tnwingtsun Guest

Good point Kull

As I am not Chinese,I still do not comprehend,weather Buddhist,Taoist or whatever
    makes for the better MAs,your fathers words are wise indeed,IMHO both have many things that have contributed to the MAs,My point is that CLC and his family was very adiment about their systems
    Shoalin roots.
    Perhaps this might shed some light on my point.
    In the areas of martials the training differences
    at the elementry level between the Shaolin and the Taoist approaches: The Shaolin are marked by the four concepts,namly,ecape,strick,hopping and control,whereas the taoist approaches,the conquest of softness over swiffness and that of stillness over excessive actions.
    Having presented these different approaches it leads me to belive that Bai Mei is a Shaolin system(the topic).
    As a footnote to the history of this system there is an interesting point.Before Chang's family moved to Kowloon in 1959,Chang taught his system as a species of Emei Shoalin because his teacher Monk Fah-yuen came from Sichen province of china where Mt. Emei was the center of Buddhism and Shaolin Kung-fu,he named some 18 schools as sites
    of Li-chuan Kuo Shu("Sites of national martial arts for the commendable effort in preserving life").The name sounds close to to his goven name(Lai-chuen).In this way,he identified himself with his school and reveled the starting point of Chinese Shaolin training in the strong sense of survival which is shared by all the members of the animal kingdom.Ignorant of this section of modren White Eyebrow history some writers felt free to present "White Eyebrow"(Emei Shaolin before 1959) as one taoist element of their system.
    But you're right Kull good KF is good KF,
    I guess some people want to find out the true roots.IMHO,it looks more like Shaolin.
    Is their discord between the Buddhist and the
    Taoist?
    Or is this just a history issue

BTW WingTsun embraces Taoist princibles
    as its mainstay even though they claim
    their roots in Shaolin.

[This message was edited by tnwingtsun on 03-15-01 at 11:34 PM.]

CannonFist Guest

tnwingtsun

I agree with you that the techniques in Bak Mei has more of a southern Shaolin flavour than Taoist.

For example in my Bak Mei there are some opening salute routines for some forms, and I don't mean just the left fist and right palm on top. One of the movements of the opening routine is called "Boy pays respect to Buddha". This has Budhist overtones. What about the well known technique of "Woh Siong Tuet Gar Sar" which means "monk disrobes" which suposedly gave Cheung Lai Chuen a scar on his chin. When you say "woh siong" in Cantonese it means a Buddhist monk and not a Taoist monk, a Taoist monk is called "Dao Shi". Of course these are all just names. Even the main body mechanics of swallow, spit, float and sink are concepts from the southern Shaolin.

However like in all things Chinese there are bound to be some Taoist influence to it. For those that has the Ng Hung Mor form, the 5 elements are Taoist concepts.

A good example of a near full Taoist martial art is Bagua. Even Taiji which many think is Taoist has strong Buddhist/Shaolin influence.

CannonFist Guest
    The techniques of Bak Mei may be Buddhist/Shaolin in nature but that still does take the image of Bak Mei being the invincible Taoist fighter which has iron shirt skills which is instilled in me from legends and stories that I heard and seen on films since childhood days. But of course as a kid I know of Bak Mei as the bad guy and I would want to be the hero, Hung Hei Goon who kills Bak Mei with his Tiger Crane techniques. Ah! the good old days.

Lau Guest
    Hi,

Imo this discussion is not so much about pak mei being buddhist or taoist but about pak mei history in general.

Reading this thread and the old session/ new session Lung Ying thread makes me wonder if there is also an old/new session difference in Pak Mei. especially since there are stories told that the monk didn't exist and that CLC created pak mei as we know it today. But in that case he must have had some form / forms on which it is based........

Interesting to hear that Chang's oldest son Beng Lum produced a book, Bai Mei, Chang Lai Chuen in 1989. I have never heard about that. Does anyone have this book? Is it still available?

Regards, Lau (lalau88@hotmail.com

wisdom mind Guest

no comments

great to see a pak mei thread with no flames...keep it up brothers/sistren