Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Monk White Eyebrow daoist or Shaolin?

kull Guest
    Chinese martial art history is problematic at best.

If we take the story of bai mei being from Song Shan Shaolin, then why doesn't it exhibit any of the characteristic of northern styles? ex.long fist boxing, northern mantis, tong bei...

If we say moves are like buddhist style; i think i can make a case for taoist too.

Bai Mei movements that are done slowly to promote qi flow. Then done explosively. Similar to Chen Tai Chi?

Cotton belly-
    Soft(yin) but hard as iron(yang). Taoist philosophy, yin yang inseperable, like cotton belly.

Tun to fo chum-
    Tun- absorb, yeild (yin); when being attack absorb.
    To- spit, attack(yang); absorb attack then spit. Hence, again we see philosophy of tao, yin yang inseperable.

If CLC did say bai mei is buddha or tao, what proof does he have? Other than him breaking a few of your bones for disagreeing with his view...LOL

I know it is rather unfair b/c i playing "devil advocate", i think is the correct term. I say this b/c i don't really think there is enough proof for either case.

TNwingchun- What does CLC naming his 18 schools after him have to do with Mt Emei?

Personally i feel Bak Mei is buddhist on Mon. and wed. when i practice sand bag training.
    On tues. and fri. I feel he is taoist when i practice qi gong. :D

CannonFist Guest
    Kull: you made some valid points.

Some have regarded Chen Taiji as being more of a Shaolin/Buddhist art which is derived from Pao Chui (Cannon Fist). One Taiji master, Wu Tu Nan had even gone so far as stating that Chen Taiji is not Taiji. However others have accused him of playing politics.

Tun, To, Fou, Chum are southern Shaolin terminology. The more Taoist or Taiji like way of saying it is the "opening and closing" movements. Of course the taiji guys state that their expression of these energy is more refined eventhough its similar.

Whatever it is all Chinese martial arts will exhibit a certain amount of Taoist quality to it.