Page 8 of 15 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Chinese Lion Dance

apologies for the delay... but there are a few options available....
    picture the following:

1. another gold lion with white fur and beard
    2. silver lion with white fur and beard
    3. red lion with white fur and beard
    4. gold lion with red fur and beard
    5. silver lion with gold fur and beard

OR

1. two black lions with black fur and beard
    2. two silver lions with white fur and beard
    3. two green lions with white fur and beard

how's that?

by the way, the existing lion that you have, is it of sequin material?

Lion Dancer

Quick question, is your company able to put the Chinese characters (school name & such) on the back of the head & the neck drape?

Cheers!

Fire Palm

Do you mean have the name of the troupe on the lion head collar, on the lion head itself or both?

Both yes, I have a friend who is looking for lions for his CMA club. I directed him to your website his question was how could he have his club name / lion team's name placed on the rear of the head & on the neck drape / collar.

just a tip in case ur interested. take advanage of their 15% off . i got 2 n sold the other one locally easily for 800 n pocketed over $200

Wink Firepalm

Hello Firepalm,

We would have the team's name placed on the lion head itself by attaching the characters directly and the collar also for our clients if they chose to. Depending on the number of characters, we can work something out either for free or a small fee since you would not be able to just 'paint' them on the lion heads themselves if its the sequin lions. For the traditional painted lions, we would paint the name on. Hope this helps.... if your friend is interested, pls have him/her contact me. Thks for the reference! You know, you should join our associate program.

Thumbs up JamesWu

Hi James,

thanks again for your business.... hope our products exceeded your expectations. BTW, did the lion pants fit your team members? Those were the largest adult (longest) ones we have. Thanks again and let me know how things go......

Traditional Lion Dance

This off topic from the attn:Frank thread so I'm starting a new one.

I do recommend people get the DVD and support these guys. TigerClaw was abig sponser too.

In regards to tradtional vs. Modern liondance. Each has their own aspects. Most of the winning schools that win international competions have traditional teams. Even the "Jong" competitions are emphasizing more animation.

I've been to Malaysia, Singapore and Hong Kong and seen the teams there. Traditional is alive and well but has evolved.

I was also a judge at the West Coast competion. The DVD is out. I highly recommend it. http://www.lion-dancing.com/product.asp?itemid=9

Take a look at the trailer on the home page http://www.lion-dancing.com/nfldc/home.html I'd like to see traditional lion dance head this direction. BTW, Yau Kung Moon won this comp.

CLF Noble, is your si-sook doing the traditional fat san lion dance and keeping the "old" drumming? Just curious. I see too many teams now opting for the Hok San style of lion and drum. Great if that's your roots but these are traditional Fat San based systems like Hung Gar and CLF. The worse are the teams that opt the HS drum but use a FS head.
    Last edited by hasayfu; 03-03-2004 at 06:12 PM.

Sounds like a winner

HaSayFu,

Wassup brotha? When I get things together on my end, I have to try to hook up with you and Subitai. It will be two years soon since we last met.

The DVD sounds very interesting, and I make sure I put it at the top of my wish list.

Peace

Jerry Battle
    The Southern Fist Subdues The Fierce Mountain Tiger

HaSayFu:

They use a traditional style drum beat but a bit more up tempo than the real old style which is quite slow. As far as the head goes its more of an older style head. It doesn't look like the malaysian heads that resemble a duck.

So to answer your question I think it would be considered Fut San style.

Peace.

I just wonder if in the freestyle competitions, do the teams compete one at a time?
    Or do we get to see some real team vs team lion dancing?
    *evil grin*
    What would happen if a year-old baby fell from a fourth-floor window onto the head of a burly truck driver, standing on the sidewalk?
    It's practically certain that the truckman would be knocked unconscious. He might die of brain concussion or a broken neck.
    Even an innocent little baby can become a dangerous missile WHEN ITS BODY-WEIGHT IS SET INTO FAST MOTION.
    -Jack Dempsey ch1 pg1 Championship Fighting

The one's I have seen its one at a time. It is difficult enough as it is if it were team vs. team on poles 15' in the air there would be people breaking all kinds of bones and possibly worse.

If you ever get one of the VCDs from Singapore, Malaysia or Hong Kong they usually show the falls at the end and man do they look painful.

Peace.

CLFNole

We're talking about the freestyle competition with no props.
    That includes no poles (stationary or otherwise), no balls, no platforms, and not even benches if my understanding of the rules is correct.

The freestyle competition is supposed to be traditional style.

I've seen more than enough videos of the modern style.
    I've gotta wonder about the traditional lion you've seen if the modern looks more alive.

I mean, they prance around a bit and have some live play, but when they start doing tricks, half of the teams seem so focused on the jumps that they stop playing the lion altogether.

Of course there were exceptions on the tapes I saw- some teams were much better than others; and the tapes I saw were not a definitive collection, but it'd take some real good footage on their part to convince me different.

I know I'm probably just biased.
    What would happen if a year-old baby fell from a fourth-floor window onto the head of a burly truck driver, standing on the sidewalk?
    It's practically certain that the truckman would be knocked unconscious. He might die of brain concussion or a broken neck.
    Even an innocent little baby can become a dangerous missile WHEN ITS BODY-WEIGHT IS SET INTO FAST MOTION.
    -Jack Dempsey ch1 pg1 Championship Fighting

This may eventually boil down to what was on another thread in that "Traditional" lion dance is not clearly defined. The "Traditions" vary from school to school, style to style and in many cases in origination from region to region. There are still more commonalities than differences when refering to say what most would consider traditional fut san style. But minor differences could be totally opposite between groups.
    For example group A lion head plays dai goo (big drum/triumphant walk) by turning the head side to side making the lion looke from side to side but keeping the head and chin on a level plane, group B lion head plays dai goo by tilting the head side ways, one side, then the other, and not really turning it side to side. Both heads learned from teachers who learned from thier teachers who learned from their teachers. Both are old enough to be "Traditional" but which is the right way and which is wrong? are both right or are both wrong? who is to say?

Then who is to say who is the best? It seems every southern style has someone who is a "King of Lions" from Hong Kong, Hung Ga has theirs, Choy Lay Fut has theirs, Jow Ga has theirs, Hung Fut has theirs, Bak Mei has theirs, etc. Then there are those teams that compete and claim world championships that could make claims to being the best, Kun Seng Keng, kuan Loke, Yau kung Mun, Bak Hok, etc.

I was distracted and have no idea what my point is anymore.
    so.....the end.

Je Lei Sifu, word. I got to make out east again and we all need to get together. I enjoyed our little HG Lion Dance jam session we had.

Bmore Banga, "half of the teams seem so focused on the jumps that they stop playing the lion altogether."

It's the other half you gotta look at [] Seriously, I used to think the way you do till I spent time with Master Siow, who is arguably the originator of the modern style. He's at least the most active promoter of it. He has very traditional roots. He teaches his team some really tight facial animation.

Looking at the videos to make a generalization would be like me looking at the Xtreme MA folks and call that real Kung Fu.

The Traditional Competion did allow for props. This is traditional in the sense that the lion should make use of all the things around. Even that clip from the 1920s show a full bridge setup, so that isn't new. What is new is spending a majority of the time on Jongs and basing the routine around acrobatics on the Jongs. It also allows for a standardization of judging. This is what defines the modern competition lion dance.

For the Tradtional competion, animation, story, energy and spirit played a bigger part. One of the best animation I saw was one team (YKM A?) that sniffed the chang that was hanging in a tree. You could see/feel the Lion savoring the scent.

On the Team vs. Team tip, I've heard some stories. Think OUATIC 3 but real life. The yearly island festival in HK was a big example.
    You won't see that in the US anytime soon.

CLFNoble, glad to hear you keep the Fut San style. Yeah, Hok San looks like a duck (or supposedly a crane (Hok))

Brothernumber9, you said it. Seem like everyone was King of Lion Dance. Guess it's how you define your kingdom. Of course we all know that Wong Fei Hong (HG) was the best of the best. I saw it on several movies. LOL

As for comparing traditions, you are right about the diffs. On the otherhand, there are basic things that are the same and that's what we can go off of.

Thanks for the discussion everyone. Fu-Pow, drop some stories of your team or Sifu.