Page 10 of 15 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Chinese Lion Dance

New Lion Dancing Thread

What up?

I would like to get a new thread going regarding southern lion dancing.

If you know of some information about lion dancing that may be interesting or if you have some great stories to tell and would like to share...

Also, there are many obstacles or puzzles that a lion dance troup may encounter and should come to know.

Each puzzle usually has a certain etiquette or code which should be followed in a particular order or fashion to demonstrate the knowledge, experience and/or skill level of the troup and in order to provide the most luck to whomever the performance is for.

If you know of some obstacles or puzzles or routines and would like to share those...please do so.

I like watching a good lion dance team. Used to do it, we were never that great at it, but it was fun.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Blog Entries
    Hung Sing Boyz, we gottit on lock down
    when he's around quick to ground and pound a clown
    Bruh we thought you knew better
    when it comes to head huntin, ain't no one can do it better

Blog Entries
    Hung Sing Boyz, we gottit on lock down
    when he's around quick to ground and pound a clown
    Bruh we thought you knew better
    when it comes to head huntin, ain't no one can do it better

There is a book at this new liondance website called Shuo Shih/Lion Talk. It is written by a liondancer from Hong Kong. Only one problem is that it is in traditional Chinese print. It is in paperback form like a magazine, but with 256 pages. eight chapters with one dedicated to different qings/chengs.

This is the only book written other than Dr. William Hu's book "Chinese Lion Dance Explained" which is out of print. However you can go to a library I have been told to get it from another library as part of a loaner program. Although sometime in the future Master Lim Meng Kok is supposed to write a book, but he needs a ghost writer that can write his thoughts properly in Chinese as well as translate to english some of the terms and topics that is associated in english which can be very unique.

It is also cheaper to get it in HK (USD $20 I think), but you have to know where to look. Other wise if you got the cash go to this website.

http://www.ofcourselionsource.com

They are new and I don't how the quality of it is. The lion's are all custom made in the US, althought they can import ones from asia if you like. They make theirs the old way so the lion heads I imagine are going to be heavier than those from asia nowadays.

I have written what little I know at one of the lion dance group's that I help website. If you have something to add that I can verify about lion dancing that I I have not written about I'd loved to hear about it.

http://www.hawaiiliondanceassociation.com

Aloha

William aka. SleepingDragon

I know the guys at ofcourselionsource personally. Very stand up guys with a strong passion for lion dancing. They’ve been lion dancing for a VERY long time. They searched out some of the older Hong Kong lion makers and learned the craft. They are also highly creative so bring their own flavor to the lions.
    See: http://www.ofcourselionsource.com/in...ection=gallery

If anyone wants a lion that stands out from the crowd, these are the people to see.

the book shuo shi that of course lion source is offering is singed by the author & there are only 10 copies that they aquired. the last i heard from them there are only 2 copies left in stock.

as the previous poster stated they have been lion dancing for quite along time & they traveled back to china to learn the craft of lion dancing to maintain & pass on tradition. the lion dance group is kei lun martial arts. http://www.kei-lun.com/

i know that our troupe has purchased equipment from them. they offer high quality work & craftsmanship. they also offer alot of items for repair & restoration. some more difficult items that they carry is cinnabar which is used for blessing the lions. our troupe is in the process of purchasing a new custom traditional fut san head as we are also going back to the old traditional way of lion dancing to maintain tradition before it gets lost so we can pass it along to the new generation.

cheers,
    mk
    Hung Sing Kung Fu Studio - Chinatown Branch
    724 Commercial Street
    San Francisco, Ca 94108
    email: hungsingclf@comcast.net

“Do not dwell in the past, do not dream of the future, concentrate the mind on the present moment.” - Buddha

Chinese Lion Dance

Not sure if this is where it should be posted, but I have created a website on the Southern Cantonese Lion Dance and more. Hope you are entertained by it and enlightened.

http://chineseliondancers.webs.com/

Choy Cheng

Have added another article on Choy Cheng with a handful of chengs. It is a work in progress. Hope you find it enlightening and enjoyable to read.

Chinese Lion Dance

Sleeping Dragon ,

Hello . what lion dance club are you with ? Anyway , I went to the Honolulu Choy Chang night . It was good but I ' ve noticed myself that 2 clubs were miising , they were Lung Kong Physical Culture Club and the Kuo Min Tang Physical Culture Assn .
    I only stayed for half hour because I had other places to go to , anyway I also noticed that they also had other clubs involved too , like asian lion dance group ,
    wah ghai .

If I ' m not mistaken this is the first year they ' ve participated in the choy chang night . Although it's the same thing as every year it's also good to watch . I was once doing lion dancing myself too , I was active in certain clubs too , like Chinese Lion Dance Assn . Chinese Physical Culture Assn . And Gee Yung International Lion & Dragon Dance Assn . But today , I don ' t to any club at all , I just watch lion dance performance where ever I see it performing .

These clubs before they use to order their lion heads from either Hong Kong or China . But today they have alot of companies in the mainland like San Francisco that sells lion dance equipments . Some people learned the traditional way of making lion heads from workshops being sponsored by lion head makers who no longer makes lion heads already , but are willing to teach and spread their expertise of making lion heads .

Getting back to the Honolulu Choy chang night it probably finished about !0 or
    11 pm , according to my friend whose in the gee yung club . Either these kung fu clubs all got together at a certain spot in chinatown bowed to eachother 3 times and ended their traditional performances . Or after they finished their last store
    they bowed 3 times to their drum set and ended the performance . There are times when traditions change and different things take place . It's the nice to see the lions from different clubs bow to eachother 3 times and end the show .

They also have the fut san and the Hok San style of lion dancing too . But I rather have the fut san lion dance over the hok san lion dance , but I like to watch the hok san lion dance too . But today the hok san lion dance can be performed for performances like weddings , birthday parties , or any kind of special occasions .
    Besides the Championship lion dance which the hok san lion dance is known for , where the music and bowing is different from the fut san verions of lion dacing .

Lance

Lion dance question

Hi all,

I have a question on lion dance. Last year during Chinese new year a shop hung 7 lettuces in front of their shop. I have never seen it before. Does anybody know the meaning and the way it needs to be played? Thanks !

Regards, Lau

were they hung in a straight line or a circle? were there any characters written on them, or on envelopes? Was there a bowl of water at the foot of the door under the chang?
    My first guess is that it is a variation of the seven star puzzle, but it wouldn't surprise me if the shop keeper just heard someone mention something about it and just set it up in hopes to make it seem like they were in the know.

Hi Brothernumber9,

Thank you for your interest. I just got the picture and there were 9 lettuces hanging in a straight horizontal line. The middle one slightly higher. I can email you the picture if you like. All of them had a tangerine and a red envelope as well. My guess it that it is something traditional since someone we met there said that he knew how to play it. But there was no time for him to explain.

Regards, Lau

Lion Dance - how to teach kids jumping

I have started teaching some of my young students (age 6-10) lion dancing. Just been doing the basics such as cleaning and walking but would like to get them jumping and rolling etc.

Any tips on teaching kids lion dance skills?

Paul

Quote Originally Posted by Paul T England View Post
    I have started teaching some of my young students (age 6-10) lion dancing. Just been doing the basics such as cleaning and walking but would like to get them jumping and rolling etc.

Any tips on teaching kids lion dance skills?

Paul
    side table jump up from static.
    chair jump up from static.
    standard table jump up from static.

repeat while wearing the puppet.

basically there are traditional moves.

Crane dots water, one leg crane stance, horse stance walking, cross stepping, retreat jumping with cross step, bearded hook sweep, kick step, bowing step, tail chasing, rolling, investigating, chewing and expelling the choi chang, and emotional expressions especially in context to the type of lion.

Gold Lion is an old man and behaves calm and slow.
    Red Lion is a middle aged man and proceeds with austere motions crisp and firm.
    Black Lion is young and feisty, combative and aggressive and moves thusly.

If you do not know how to properly lion dance, I would suggest you hire or contract someone to teach you how so that you can understand a few of the puzzles and you will absolutely need to understand etiquette with the lion as well.

people will be shocked if you do this spiritual and cultural ritual incorrectly and may feel you will bring bad luck down on them for messing up.

If you get a new lion, you must perform the hoi gung ceremony with it in public.
    When you enter a store to bless it's altar, you should lick the door frames with the lion before entering and when leaving, back out, once out, bow.

Once you have all the basics, time to start working on solutions to the chang puzzles you will find at ceremonies.

Anyway, I guess what I am trying to say is that there is a lot to it and it is a LOT more than just jumping around in a giant puppet.
    Kung Fu is good for you.