Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 LastLast

Thread: Chinese Lion Dance

Quote Originally Posted by Lau View Post
    Indeed it sounded very logical once we heard it. Standing in front of the shop and looking at it the lowest was on the left side. Highest on the right side above the shop entrance.
    Ah! That sounds good. Even though the "steps" are hung parallel to the front wall they still bring the wealth into the door.

Thanks for the info.
    "Look, I'm only doing me job. I have to show you how to defend yourself against fresh fruit."

For it breeds great perfection, if the practise be harder then the use. Sir Francis Bacon

the world has a surplus of self centered sh1twh0res, so anyone who extends compassion to a stranger with sincerity is alright in my book. also people who fondle road kill. those guys is ok too. GunnedDownAtrocity

Hadn't thought about that yet. Thank you for sharing !
    Lau

Nice resource links, SleepingDragon

I remember once being instructed on an eight orange array that evoked the bagua. It was eight oranges on a small table arranged around a hongbao/chan in the center. According to my teacher, there were different reactions to this pattern depending on the day and the fengshui of it all. It was horribly complicated, and I was never quite sure if he was just BSing us about it all. But he did know his bagua. The order of taking the oranges was based on what gua each orange symbolized and that related to the cardinal directions of the layout. In the end, he just gave us one of the patterns and said that no one would know the rest anyway. If anyone did, we were too weak of a team to raise expectations of the proper solution.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Quote Originally Posted by Lau View Post
    Hi,
    This year we got the 9 hanging lettuces/oranges again, but we learned it's meaning. They were hanging in a row, parallel to the shop. but the height increased with each one. So the meaning was a stairway to luck. We started with the lowest one and then step by step we took the higher ones, thus climbing the stairs towards the luck for the shop owner.
    Regards, Lau
    This green array is called Step by Step Rise Higher "Bu Bu Gao Sheng" (mandarin). there is no set way or props. that is why the theme is the most important thing to know. Know that and the Chinese Culture and you will know how to play it. Technically there are greens that are played for certain situations. If the business has stairs, you will see pair of mandarin oranges or tangerines on each step. Maybe the use of a ladder with tangerines on each step. Maybe the use of table and chairs to create ascending height or steps. They chose nine because it means forever or long time and lettuce is a metaphor for business and wealth, oranges is good fortune. So they want good fortune and wealth to grow step by step...to rise higher. I guess this is acceptable...but originally is meant for person that is being promoted or similar.

Did anyone take picutres? Can post here or share a link?
    Last edited by SleepingDragon; 01-30-2012 at 03:49 PM. Reason: to add more detail

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post
    I remember once being instructed on an eight orange array that evoked the bagua. It was eight oranges on a small table arranged around a hongbao/chan in the center. According to my teacher, there were different reactions to this pattern depending on the day and the fengshui of it all. It was horribly complicated, and I was never quite sure if he was just BSing us about it all. But he did know his bagua. The order of taking the oranges was based on what gua each orange symbolized and that related to the cardinal directions of the layout. In the end, he just gave us one of the patterns and said that no one would know the rest anyway. If anyone did, we were too weak of a team to raise expectations of the proper solution.
    The standard way to play doesn't involve calculations just a basic understanding. Like if it is later, or preheaven configuration. Later heaven the death door is the earth/mother trigram. In pre, they are balanced heaven across earth etc. Nobody will speak of this because each have there own. Like how you circle the array, clockwise and counter clockwise. Meaing kind of like back from the future, since you know what happened you can avoid calamity. However, like your teacher talking about knowing the gua of the person or business, thus the death door is different for everyone. For someone to set something like that up, they either consulted with or know Fung seui.

Quote Originally Posted by TenTigers View Post
    I have seen this array:
    A chair with a pomelo, some oranges, choi, and a bowl of water/wine? How is this played?
    Picture is needed or better description. How many oranges? Bowl in front of pomelo or pomelo is in water. How is oranges arranged.

Water represents wealth in fung seui-things cannot grow or survive without water. Some will spray the water (you seen in the movies involving water greens. Some will lap the water with the beard so that the splashing water washes the doorway. Almost like most religions with take blessed water and sprinkle it, samething, coming from the lion the water has been blessed

Pomelo is a metaphor for "To Have"

Flowering the pomelo and oranges by some means fruition.

Quote Originally Posted by yu shan View Post
    Hi Gene, really enjoyed that article on your personal reflection on lion dance, good read. I have a question for you folks. Can someone break down the significance of the various colors of the lions. Gold, geen, red, black, purple etc. I have been told certain things but would like to hear what you guys have to say. And what color is best for openings of stores, weddings and New Years Celebrations. Thank you in advance and this is a fascinating topic.
    Not many follow the coloring now days. Some have dull colored lions, the lion face base color is half this and the other half that. Old timers might say this is not good, like lion got split personality. Also, back in the days there were only so many colors. Why? finding a stable source for color pigments was not easy. romans and chinese used cinnabar for color red-we all know now that cinnabar has mercury.

However the initial color was based on the three kingdoms and chinese opera.

Huntington, NY, USA website: TenTigers.com
    Quote Originally Posted by SleepingDragon View Post
    Picture is needed or better description. How many oranges? Bowl in front of pomelo or pomelo is in water. How is oranges arranged.

Water represents wealth in fung seui-things cannot grow or survive without water. Some will spray the water (you seen in the movies involving water greens. Some will lap the water with the beard so that the splashing water washes the doorway. Almost like most religions with take blessed water and sprinkle it, samething, coming from the lion the water has been blessed

Pomelo is a metaphor for "To Have"

Flowering the pomelo and oranges by some means fruition.
    ok, I'm trying to recall from memory...
    Pomelo in front, then I believe four oranges in a row across, then choi-parallel (it was a long sprig, about 8 inches,not a head of lettuce), then bowl.
    "My Gung-Fu may not be Your Gung-Fu.
    Gwok-Si, Gwok-Faht"

"I will not be part of the generation
    that killed Kung-Fu."

....step.

My teacher did give us a standard pattern

I forget that pattern now. It was fairly complex.

I think he was just BSing us about all the alternative patterns.

Quote Originally Posted by SleepingDragon View Post
    The standard way to play doesn't involve calculations just a basic understanding. Like if it is later, or preheaven configuration. Later heaven the death door is the earth/mother trigram. In pre, they are balanced heaven across earth etc. Nobody will speak of this because each have there own. Like how you circle the array, clockwise and counter clockwise. Meaing kind of like back from the future, since you know what happened you can avoid calamity. However, like your teacher talking about knowing the gua of the person or business, thus the death door is different for everyone. For someone to set something like that up, they either consulted with or know Fung seui.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

ok, I'm trying to recall from memory...
    Pomelo in front, then I believe four oranges in a row across, then choi-parallel (it was a long sprig, about 8 inches,not a head of lettuce), then bowl.
    Like this?

Store Front

bowl
    sprig
    o
    o
    o
    o
    O

lion

Huntington, NY, USA website: TenTigers.com
    no, like this:

Bowl
    lettuce
    oooo
    ..O
    on a chair, as it was indoors, but the chair was basically in front of the Guan Gung altar.
    "My Gung-Fu may not be Your Gung-Fu.
    Gwok-Si, Gwok-Faht"

"I will not be part of the generation
    that killed Kung-Fu."

....step.

Unhappy

no, like this:

Bowl
    lettuce
    oooo
    ..O
    on a chair, as it was indoors, but the chair was basically in front of the Guan Gung altar.
    So evrything was on the chair? Hmmm....honestly couldn't tell you. If I was given the theme of the green, then I may tell you about it, sorry

One of the best lion dances that I have seen was in the late 70s- done by my wing chun sifu Augustine Fong. While dancing he jumped up on a high table which had a large bowl on it.
    After some dancing on the table he jumped and balanced himself on the edge of the bowl and kept on dancing on the edge of the bowl. Then with one coordinated movement he jumped on the table with one leg and with the other leg picked up the bowl and kicked it to the round faced buddha below... who caught it.

When a student did the lion dance- sifu would do the drumming.

The lion is an important symbol in Buddhism.

I also once saw a great snow lion dance done by a Tibetan group in exile.

joy chaudhuri

Chinese Lion Dance

Quote Originally Posted by Vajramusti View Post
    One of the best lion dances that I have seen was in the late 70s- done by my wing chun sifu Augustine Fong. While dancing he jumped up on a high table which had a large bowl on it.
    After some dancing on the table he jumped and balanced himself on the edge of the bowl and kept on dancing on the edge of the bowl. Then with one coordinated movement he jumped on the table with one leg and with the other leg picked up the bowl and kicked it to the round faced buddha below... who caught it.

When a student did the lion dance- sifu would do the drumming.

The lion is an important symbol in Buddhism.

I also once saw a great snow lion dance done by a Tibetan group in exile.

joy chaudhuri
    Joy , I saw your sifu augustine fong doing the drums for the lion dance , he ' s awesome . But lion dance like the way you described him do , hard to believe , but true . Infact I still can ' t believe he can dance the lion dance like the way you described . Do you have a video clippings on his performance ?

It seems that Sifu Fong does have hidden talents for lion dance , usually I see him doing wing chun techniques or chi sao with his assistants . But I did ' nt see him play lion head yet , but I know he ' s a pretty good drummer though , in Hawaii . We do have students who had many years of experience in lion drumming and can maranade the drum beats with the music , and it sounds like very traditional lion dance music , the way the drumming experts do it .

Some people who are good drummers and instrument players really can ' t play the lion head and the tail good , but everybody ' s different , as for the students who are good in playing lion head and the tail , can ' t play the drums and instruments good either . While some people can play the lion head and tail good , and can also play the drums and instruments really good too .

Sifu Fong I believe can play both lion head and drumming , instruments well too .
    So he ' s talented . Sifu fong not only knows wing chun , but he practices Hung Gar and Choy Li Fut too . The last time I saw him play drum for a performance , in a book store it sounded awesome , and had to watch the video clippings over again , because to me it was good . So joy , do you have chinese lion dance in your kwoon too ?

2012 Chinese New Year Videos

Hello All,
    I posted 6 videos from Chinese New Year this year (2012) at my youtube account.

http://www.youtube.com/user/MuSiGee?feature=mhee

Would love to see other's videos