Page 6 of 15 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Chinese Lion Dance

Where ever I Am; today, West Virginia, US of A, NA, N of EUdMexico
    Blog Entries
    There's a difference between traditional and competition?
    There are four lights...¼ impulse...all donations can be sent at PayPal.com to qumpreyndweth@juno.com; vurecords.com

I used to. We peformed for the Dali Lama when he came to NY a few years ago and used to hit restuarants all along NYC and another sifu of mine had me lion dance with Norman and MIlton's schools in Chinatown a few times last year.

It has always been a love/hate relationship for me. Its cool but tiresome and its always the same students who have to do it. The so so students are never around to do the practice, so seniors have to do it, and then we spend our training time getting routines down. Its fun. I'm kind of over it though and glad Master Bond Chan does not do it.

Lion Dance

Hey I was wondering if there was a web site or something that has the lion dance drum beat on it. Any help would be very appreciated. Thanks

Arrow Time to lion dance again

Ouch the pain! I'm no where near in the same condition I was last year when it came to lion dance and only managed to practice once wich was tonight. Work has kept me from being able to come to class and I have to do a coule of shows over the weekend!

I know I'm not in good enough shape to do multiple shows but I have to go through it. Ugghh It's gonna be long one tomorrow:

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

My shoulders are tight and burning
    My insides are really churning
    When lion dance season comes arounnddd.

Even though I'm really faking
    In the inside I'm just really shaking
    This body just yells

The pain!
    The pain!

Well anyways anyone else gonna liond dance?
    killer kung fu commando streetfighter who has used his devastating fighting system to defeat hordes of attackers in countless combat situations

lion dance

What part of the team are you? We can spend lots of time on the front member or the back member. Totally two seperate energy`s. Try over 30 show`s in one day, with smart ass hung baos hung very high. This is part of your KF training, suck it up! Hopefully you will bleed...

lol thanks for the pep talk !

I really needed that. 30 shows is brutal man:! :eek Oh and I always bleed. There a loose piece of bamboo or something inside the lion head that always cuts my first knuckle and I have various scars from previous shows.

I'll be doing both. Most people say the tail is the worst but I always felt the head was harder, but since I'm small anyway I never really have to support anyone.

Nice to hear form you again keep it touch.

Hey kung lek I know you like to lion dance are you going or have done any shows yet?
    killer kung fu commando streetfighter who has used his devastating fighting system to defeat hordes of attackers in countless combat situations

Our kwoon had one this morning at Marigold, and we have two this evening in which I will be playing the head. Oh boy, it's gonna be fun!!
    My teammates that performed this morning were amazing and pulled off an excellent show that brought happiness to the patrons of Marigold.

Good luck to all Lion Dancers and...

GUNG HAY FAT CHOY!!!!
    A unique snowflake

The streets were filled with lions and drums today.

Got out of my car in Chinatown and walked right into a double lion dance, went to the restaurant for dim sum, again , another team on the ground floor of the mall the restaurant was in and then another team upstairs while 2 more teams danced outside.

It was crazY!

Lions were everywhere, Drums everywhere. Kids running around in their new years red outfits. Lion dance clubs and Kungfu clubs all getting the greens...

Man, it get's pretty lively in Toronto's chinatown at new year.
    Hope you all had fun and ate a lot of dim sum and bar-b-q.
    Mooncakes too!

cheers
    Kung Fu is good for you.

That would be cool my kwoon has lion dancing, but I never get invited cause im not that good.
    Sakuraba and Ortiz are both MMA gods, I worship them both

Tito Ortiz "Gay Mezger is my Biatch"

hop gar master ku chi wai says:

"if you understand kung fu, you understand Lion...no understand kung fu, no understand Lion"
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

What exactly is lion dancing? What does it do in terms of martial arts training?
    I will crush my enemies, see them driven before me, then hit their wimminz with a Tony Danza. - Vash

Lion Dance uses all the stances that kung fu uses...so everytime you lion dance you are training your kung fu. As in the forms, lion dance also requires stamina and strength. And as in sparring, lion dance requires good timing and ingenuity.
    Southern systems of kung fu have always had a strong connection to lion dance and many Sifu would not consider their Kwoon complete without doing the Lion Dance.
    Never saw a lion dance you say!
    Just go to our site, click on videos and you can see a number of the performances we have done. Also under the articles section you can read about it and in the published articles section is a article that was published in KQ for 2001 new year.

Shaolin West Kung Fu Kwoon

GHD

Mines went well, including the fact that some lady grabbed my butt , I think

i didn't touch the lion much since a lot of people went. Near the end in the kitchen I got stabbed in the face with a rib that someone was trying to hand to me and I choked on the honey chicken that the owner passed to me while I was the head.

Then after wards we stayed in the restaurant and ate to our hearts content.

Oh and also the lion helps you practice your footwork since you just can't stay in one place plus you really have to put on a show and play wtih the audience. Hope every one had fun
    Last edited by NorthernMantis; 02-08-2003 at 09:17 PM.

Question Lion Dance

Anyone have any experiance with?
    My sifu attended a lion dance class and said their forms look just like Shaolin ones. Are these people always thinking about martial applications when doing this? Do they do qigong?
    I dont know
    Thanks in advance!
    Bless you

There is a lot of martial carry over in lion dancing. It is hard work! I used to bust my ass for Chinese New years. It was a great experience but one that I am glad is behind me.

Da, da ,da, da .... ta, tatta, ta, ta (cymbal crash!)