Thread: att: computer nerds

att: computer nerds

ok the time has finally come for me to build a new system. (currently running a 266 w/ 64mb ram and a 1mb vid card) i have been consulting with the hardware guru's where i work and all seem to agree on everything except the motherboard and vid card.

lets see if you guys agree with them on everything else:

cpu - athlon xp 1800 1.5ghz (this is what has been recommended but since the 2100s just hit pricewatch yesterday im gonna wait a week to see what happens to the 1900 and 2000)
    - was also recommended to get thermal take vocano 7 heat sink and artic silver to mount it.

ram - was told to go with crucial or kingston (micron is usually too expensive) best deals i have found have been with kingston pc2100. im getting 512 for around a buck-fourty.

burner - heard good things about lite on. all the 24/10/40s i found were around 80 bucks (though ill probably pay 90 for the black one to match my black case). i did find a 32/12/48 for around the same price, but was told not to trust cyber drive.

hd - ibm or western digital. have had some bad luck with wd's so i decided to go with an ibm 40gb (7200rpm).

sc - whatever soundblaster live oem i could find for 30 bucks or less. sound isn't real important right now because i know ill never buy good speakers.

nic - was told that suprisingly 3com's performance falls short of their modems. they said it really didn't matter so i should save myself some money and pick up a linxus or netgear cheap.

ok here's where i expect to see some debate . ...

the motherboard chipset i was recommended most was the via kt266a. was told the kt233 was still pretty new and i'd be safer with the 266a. everyone agreed that this was a good chipset though some mentioned a couple others i can't remember off hand. the arguments actually came from what brand board to get. most people recommend azeus, but i find them to be overpriced. abit and gigabite fall close behind in recommendations. then there's my buddy, who insists i should get a shuttle because its cheap, just as good as any of the other boards (read a couple reviews that agreed) and because of its overclocking ablities. everyone is saying that they are junk boards though . .. what do you guys think?

then the bloodbath started with the video card. ati vs. giforce of course. there is no way im spending 300 bucks on the ati8500 all in wonder of the gf4, so it comes down to the ati8500 radien(sp?) and the gf3 ti200 (or ti500 if i can find for cheaper than 280 . . .and yes i know to avoid the mx of both 3 and 4 like the plauge). they both cost the exact same (120 - 150) but im not sure which one to go with. i did find a refurbished gf3 ti200 with 128 mb for 185 but i was told that i wouldnt even notice the diferance as no games now or in the immediate future can come close to maxing out 64mb. have any of you guys had problems with either card? anyone notice a major difference? how many of you are fanboys who will trash the other card without having ever used it . .. if this is the case at least admit it please. nothin wrong with being a fanboy if you at least admit it. i still want your opinion if your a fanboy, i just want to know if you have actually had allot of great experience with one or allot of bad with the other. i can openly admit that the ps2 0wnz j00 & th3 xb0x 5ux d0nk3 ba115.

lets get it on!
    where's my beer?

I'm no computer nerd, but I'd go for one-a them newfangled DVD toasters, if'n I could afford in.
    All my fight strategy is based on deliberately injuring my opponents. -
    Crippled Avenger

"It is the same in all wars; the soldiers do the fighting, the journalists do the shouting, and no true patriot ever get near a front-line trench, except on the briefest of propoganda visits...Perhaps when the next great war comes we may see that sight unprecendented in all history, a jingo with a bullet-hole in him."

First you get good, then you get fast, then you get good and fast.

i already got a ps2 for dvds, so i figured i'd worry about adding a dvd burner to my system later as they're allot more expenciver than a cdrw.
    where's my beer?

Well Geforce has solid drivers, i've HEARD that there have been some problems with the ATi drivers not being as good, but that's just a rumor i'ev heard (they perform grrrreat). If i was rich i'd go for a Gf4 (as long as you dont buy the MX one, you'd be better of with a high end Gf3).

I'm pretty sure KT266A is the way to go, i have an Asus KX133 (for slotA) i'm kinda happy with it but i wish i'd gone with the Abit one my friend got, i just liked the BIOS setup better Dunno why, personal preference i guess.

Gotta agree with the IBM at the HD section, i gota 40gb 7200RPM right now, it's quiet and nice, i had a 10gb WD before it's noisy (maybe they'r higher GB disks have better tech and lower noise).

Dunno about burners dont have one

Donne about modems got ADSL (got 3com netword adapter though, love it).

I'd just go to www.tomshardware.com and check out his reviews, he made a big Gf4 article, he's done several AMD Motherboard benchmarks and reviews with them, also compared all the video cards on numerous occations.
    Free thinkers are dangerous!

Nothing but good stuff to say about Ati. can't speak for the giforce. Although I hear some mixed reviews, most good but some bad.

best of luck and remember that in 9 months the fastest thing you have on your computer will have already have doubled in speed. OH the insanity. I blame the need for really fast computers on bad programming. but don't get me started on that.

Hey man! Good choice picking the Athlon.

Go for the newer motherboard. I have an Athlon XP1800 and a newer motherboard. I admit that you can hve some compatibility problems but the speed at which tech changes it is easy to overlook this problem because it will likely be gone in a couple of months.

I built a 1.1 Ghz Athlon thunderbird with an Asus A7V with a KT-133 with a Voodoo5 card from a previous computer. I had the Voodoo left over.

My new motherboard is a 266, specifically it is a ASUS A7N266-E. This motherboard DOES have integrated features which is usually a BIG no-no. However, the integrated components do NOT get in the way of tweaking as many boards have in the past that have integration.

I own a GE Force 3 TI500 and it works fine on my motherboard. As a matter of fact it is the best freakin' card I have ever owned. With the price coming down on this card I would recommend it in a second.

The beauty of my system is that it can be tweaked(Overclocked) to your hearts content. Honestly though, I cant see how I will ever need such speed in the future. My system is top of the line and I finally have a PC that moves faster then I can think which is nice, if you know what I mean?

I have owned ATI products in the past and I like them but man, I dont see how they can get better then the card I have now. Also, for the price thier is no contest!

I told you that there were compatibility issues with the new boards but to be honest, I have not had ONE single problem. I run a few games that I will list that have worked fine on my system. Oh, and forgive the typos because I am typing in the dark and being full of beer and all...

1/Tribes2
    2/Giants
    3/Deus Ex
    4/Master Of Orion2
    5/Age of Wonders.
    6/Baldurs Gate, Icewind Dale, etc.

I have just started this baby up a few weeks ago and so far so good. The system that you are asking about is the UBERSYSTEM and you should rush to build it right away.

I would suggest that you get a better sound card then one for thirty dollars. You can spend 100 dollars and get an almost studio ready card that comes with over 100 dollars worth of software. The bundles vary so check them for yourself.

My PC is for all intents and purposes BETTER then My Bose stereo system, and for a hell of a lot cheaper! LOL!

Of course, then you need nice speakers and a sub-woofer...

"Honestly though, I cant see how I will ever need such speed in the future."

That's what i asid when i purchased my 750Mhz monster.

Then when i upgraded to 40gb i said "lol i hardly fill 10gb how will this fill up?"

Well around the same time i discovered how to dl pride shows online and my ISP gave me a greenlight on downloading as much as i want so ..
    Free thinkers are dangerous!

Braden Guest
    Excellent recommendations.

CPU - Whichever AthlonXP falls in your budget. Usually you'll find their prices will increase by about $10 per improvement until there's a big jump and the next best chip will be $100 more. I always get the chip right before the big jump.

CPU FAN - Volcano 7 with artic silver; make sure it's put on by someone who knows what he's doing! You might want to invest in 2 CASE FANS to keep it well ventilated since the speed/noise of the Volcano 7 is variable, if you keep it cool, it's REAL quiet.

RAM - At least 256M of PC2100. It's not as important as people say to get crucial or micron, but of course it all depends on your budget. If you can get 512M of the name brand, even better, but you don't need it.

POWER SUPPLY - Enermax 400W. These ladies have dual fans and are quiet as a baby's bottom.

HD - Get the IBM 60GXP model, 40 GB is plenty. The IBM 60GXP's are very reliable, and have top of the line seek speeds. Again, if you have the budget you might upgrade to the 120GXP model with more memory - but the 40GB 60GXP is all you need.

SOUND CARD - Yep. Soundblaster Live. Don't kill yourself getting a special edition. OEM is all you need.

SPEAKERS - If you get the cash, invest in some Klipsch Promedia 4 speakers + subwoofer set. Well worth the investment if: you listen to music, watch movies, or play first person shooter's on your machine. Do NOT get the crappy Cambridge or Creative speakers everyone will tell you to get! Klipsch rock their world.

MOTHERBOARD - Get the EPOX 8KHA+. You want a mobo with VIA KT266A, and this is not only the top of that line, it's also usually the cheapest!

SOUNDCARD - Get whichever Geforce3 model your budget allows. Don't get wrapped up around the tiXXX line, if you can find a pure Geforce3 in your budget, grab it! (they're better than the ti200's). However, the ti200's will do everything you need and then some. But I definitely think the Geforce3 models are better than the radeons.

computer stuff

Ok first I'm a net admin for a engineer firm in Austin, and we run into the situation of building systems all the time... the CAD workstations have to be high end due to the rendering req...

First and foremost I would have to agree with going with AMD for the processor and ABIT for the motherboard.. I have had nothing but good luck with the combination.. as for the HD.. I have had very good luck with maxtor HD's.. they are cheap and seem to work well (all though I have bought only 3 HD from that brand).. the RAM.. go with at least 256 (that will support win2k or XP... but of course 512 is better).. The sound blaster Gamer works good for me, but I know there is better ones out there, but it doesn't really matter if you are after gaming and Internet stuff.. if you were doing editing, then go for the higher end sound card... the NIC.. go for 3com.. it is plug and play for win2k and XP.. no headaches.. no for the Video card..!!

I just read a review for the Radeon 8500 and the new GeForce 4 (128).. the G4 of course blew the 8500 away, BUT the price is still a massive chunk of change.. I would go with the 8500 it has 64 megs of DDR and should cover everthing you need.. if you are doing graphic editing or video I would go with something like the Nvidia Quatra Pro2.. (64 megs geared more toward rendering and graphics).. also have a reg CD Rom and a burner (16X or 24X is popular).. I would put a DVD in ur computer unless ur video has TV outs or u just want to watch DVD's on ur computer!!

It all depends on what you want to use your computer for..

I have a AMD thunderbird 1 gig with 256 PC150 RAM with 20 gig HD and SB Gamer 3com NIC with the orginal Radeon 64 meg VC (the one wit z buffering) and 52X CD and a 12X burner and it work fine for me.. Can Run Quake III at a high fps rate wit no lag 9may be my cable connection)

the main point is that the best in the market may not be the best for you..

think about what you want to use it for then buy accordingly

and yes it is a good idea to watch pricewatch.com

also check out www.newegg.com

they also seem to have good prices

hope this helps
    Greg