Thread: Training Dilemma?

Training Dilemma?

I don't wish to sound negative in any way, but have a question which I would appreciate advice on merely to hear other peoples opinion before I make my mind up on my current course of action.

Unfortunately lately my training has taken a bit of a blow due to work commitments and studying. I no longer can go to my sifus class more than once a week (was going daily.) .

My dilemma is that when I do go there now, he is rarely there and the instructors who have been left in charge tend to argue over which is the correct way to do certain techniques which makes it a bit difficult to learn.( this did happen before, but when you are going daily, you tend to be able to to stick to one thing more.)

I also find it quite hard to actually ask him questions on who is right as I realise there is no right, but I would prefer to be doing things correctly first time rather than having learnt one way to be corrected after practising it that way for a couple of months.

I have great respect for my sifu, but feel I may learn more by going to another class. This has been hard to come to terms with and if the main opinion here is to stay put I will, but similarly if this is not normal for class to be like this I feel I may have to look elsewhere.
    May all beings live in peace and harmony,
    May all beings live wisely,
    May all beings be enlightened.

you must

go ask your sifu wich way is right.... you must do this
    even if your sihing's get angry, you must.

3. take notes

mentally or physically of your questions and ask your Sifu when you get the opportunity. He doesn't have to be standing beside you all the time for you to make progress. Nor do you have to be physically "in class" to train -- I practice keeping balance, for instance, while on the subway; I practice forms in my living room.... And insofar as everyone else's advice, there may be some good stuff in there too -- can't hurt to check it against what your Sifu says. It's a political situation to be carefully navigated at any club, IMHO, but it can be done.

Will going to a different club solve your time commitment problem?
    You are worried that you are "wasting time" learning from a senior student, only to be corrected a month later by Sifu -- are u sure he is correcting a "mistake" and not simply fine-tuning? how much time do you think you will waste, hopping from club to club, only to find that other clubs have the same kinds of "realities"? and why wouldn't they? after all, people are people.

Bottom line: if you trust your Sifu, then you already know the answer.

Hi Harry,

If you're self-disciplined and work hard on your own everyday, you can use the once-a-week to get corrections and learn new material (when the old material is correct). That's the easy part.

Sihing shouldn't argue about who is right or wrong while leading a class. It's disruptive. Actually, Sihing (pl.) should never lead class. A sihing (singular) should lead the class and everyone else follow to prevent such problems. Then, if they disagree, *they* should take it to the sifu outside of class for resolution (and hopefully they're experienced enough not to waste time on contextual differences).

There's probably not much you can do about it, however. So, in the situation you're in, you need to decide if its adversly effecting your learning and enjoyment of WCK enough for you to seek instruction elsewhere. If you've got enoung training under your belt, and are a good analytical problem solver, that you can figure things out for yourself (using the WCK concepts you've learned), then double check with your sifu when he's around (ignoring the squabbling sihing), you'll probably do okay. If you're just beginning and find you need more help, then you'll have to take steps.

Understand, many Western MA schools have *profoundly* misunderstood (or have deliberately changed) MA etiquette and interpreted it in a rigid caste or hierarchy or a near facist social organization. This is nonsense. You're a member of a martial family and you have certain rights and certain responsibilities. If you're a very close student (inner door) of your sifu, your job is not to shield him from his own problems (though you will try to cover for them), but to address them with him and try to solve them. Likewise, as a sidai (teacher/younger brother), you have a responsibility to help your sihing, and if they are disrupting class, you might want to consider talking to them (privately, of course), and pointing out how its adversely effecting your training. If they're worthy of being sihing, they'll want to help you just as much.

There is a danger, of course, in that you may lack as a beginner the experience to determine when a sifu should be trusted (when he is challenging you to think for yourself, for example), and not (when he has become negligent in his role as sifu), or when sihing may need your advice or not. But in the end, you need to take care of yourself and enjoy what you do. If this means going elsewhere, you're lucky to live in a time when there are many great martial teachers around who are willing to teach.

Wow, heavy topic...

RR

5. Good post RR

I jus' wanna add -- would-be students should do some homework before signing on with a Sifu and his class. Ask around, talk to them in person, watch some classes before signing up. Otherwise, you are just rolling the dice. You might miss a great chance to work with a quality Sifu and wind up with a clown instead.

Harry, what's with the mouse?

Obviously, you learn more when you go regularly. The appearance of conflicting advice may be heightened by the more infrequent visits. If you have confidence in your teacher you have to approach him positively- explaining your attendance problem,
    resolving the conflicting si hing advice and asking for specific advice on what to work on when you are away from class- so that you can have some core things to work on. If nothing works
    then re-examine the "bhumi".You should know that concept per your profile.

Smile Thank you for your opinions

This is a very tricky subject, and I am thankful for the opinions which you have shared with me

I did approach my sifu to explain the problem, after missing a couple of weeks, he hadn't realised that I had missed class. He didn't really seem to want to talk for long, so I didn't really get a chance to explain my situation fully. I also understand the problems which I may experience through seeking out other kwoons, but guess I hadn't really thought it through enough, so am thankful for the further insight.

I think I may also be having certain other issues which have troubled me in the past, and may well need to re-assess. Thankyou all for your opinions as it is helping me to see more than just my side of things.

I am only coming to my first year as a wc student, so feel I may not have the right analitical qualities yet.
    Peace.
    Last edited by harry_the_monk; 03-18-2002 at 01:56 AM.
    May all beings live in peace and harmony,
    May all beings live wisely,
    May all beings be enlightened.

And...
    Love is the answer.