Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: HOw would this rule change the UFC

HOw would this rule change the UFC

new rule no 1. No groundfighting.

What do you think? Do any BJJ or wrestlers have a problem with that?

I think it would make for better fights personally

more like Boxing.

Talking

It would be like removing the ball from baseball!

No groundfighting--then it wouldn't really be the UFC anymore. Kungfu guys and strikers complain that its unfair because it is tailored to grapplers. If there was no grappling, then the grapplers would complain it was tailored for strikers. The way it is now (even though the current UFC basically blows. When Carmen Electra and the playboy bunnies are in the front row talking to the camera about how great an event the UFC is you know its gone downhill), you have both ranges--standing, and grappling. And the clinch, too, of course. The grapplers can fight on the ground if they can get the opponent there, and the strikers can strike the other guy, assuming they don't get taken down. While someitimes if I'm in a certain mood I think it somewhat easier for grapplers to win, pretty much all the time the reason strikers complain about the rules is that they can't stay on their feet.

Further more, if there was no groundfighting in the UFC, it would be like boxing, not a NHB tournament.

(Sometimes I actually am really bored watching the UFC because a lot of times they lie around on the ground and don't do anything for minutes. I know their working things, trying to find ways to pass the guard, get better leverage, etc., so they're not JUST lying there, but it's really d.amn boring sometimes. Still, they shouldn't abolish the ground just because it gets a little less entertaining to watch sometimes)
    "Duifang jing zhi meng ji, wo fang tui zhi ce fang xi zhi."

What old jong said!

(Sometimes I actually am really bored watching the UFC because a lot of times they lie around on the ground and don't do anything for minutes. I know their working things, trying to find ways to pass the guard, get better leverage, etc., so they're not JUST lying there, but it's really d.amn boring sometimes. Still, they shouldn't abolish the ground just because it gets a little less entertaining to watch sometimes)

that's what I'm saying

I assume that it is a question of tastes. I personnaly find these things very boring but I sometimes watch these shows out of curiosity and to simply be aware of the tendencies. I however think that "Pride" is more interresting to watch!...Are there less rules? I'm not sure. Maybe it is because the referees are faster to have the fighters on their feet when there is nothing happening?...I remember some fights with Royce Gracie when I felt that time was stopped, like in some old "Twillight Zone" re-run!
    Anyway, I can now see a choke or a armbar coming and understand more what "the other side" can do!
    I still like that more than syncronised swimming!

Yeah, I have always liked Pride much more than the UFC, but I can't figure out why. I remember last time I watched Pride I saw a lot more quality throws and some actual skillfully applied techniques. UFC now is very oafish.

If you dont like the Groundfighting in UFC go watch K-1 or Muay Thai/Kickboxing and stop calling yourself a MMA fan (if that's what you do).

What makes UFC and MMA in general unique is where the fight goes you go, your not stood up just because you fall down or whatever (well after long periods of inactivity your stood up but that's it).

If you dotn like the groundgame you dont like MMA it's that simple, go watch striking events insted.
    Free thinkers are dangerous!

LOL. Yeah, I think BJJ and wrestling would have a problem with that rule.

It wouldn't be the UFC anymore. It would by shootboxing or K-1 or something, but not MMA and not UFC.

Actually, that's almost identical to the current rule:

(k)No(w) groundfighting.
    All my fight strategy is based on deliberately injuring my opponents. -
    Crippled Avenger

"It is the same in all wars; the soldiers do the fighting, the journalists do the shouting, and no true patriot ever get near a front-line trench, except on the briefest of propoganda visits...Perhaps when the next great war comes we may see that sight unprecendented in all history, a jingo with a bullet-hole in him."

First you get good, then you get fast, then you get good and fast.

Lets reverse the situation, how about a new rule for San-sho(sp?).

New rule number 1: No striking.

Do you think Cung-Le would have a problem with that?

I think it would make for better fights personally

More like grappling.

Btw it wouldnt look like boxing it would look like shoot-boxing.

How is the UFC tailored to grapplers? explain this to me.

baseball minus the ball? i dunno, those bases can be pretty exciting.

just sitting there, waiting to pounce.

and, just when you least expect it, someone may step on it on the way to another base!
    " i wonder how many people take their post bone marrow transplant antibiotics with amberbock" -- GDA

Yeah, it does get real boreing watching two guys on top of each other, looking like they are doing almost nothing. Are there any contests that are standing up, but have different arts in them?ie. Karate, KunG Fu, Muy Thai, Boxing, Savate etc.? I want to watch some Pride fights, is there a video out somewhere? Has there been a striker in either both UFC and Pride, that is successful in avoiding the takedown?
    Last edited by Yung Apprentice; 03-16-2002 at 07:30 PM.

Stacey Guest
    Its called

K 1

Yung Apprentice: Lots of that happening.

In UFC the lightweight champion is Jens Pulver, in his last title defense he beat BJ Penn who is the frist american to become a black belt world champion in Brazilian Jiu Jitsu, so there's a win over a great grappler, the middleweight champion in Pride is Vanderlai Silva who is almost a pure striker, he trains Muay Thai very hardcore and strikes all the time, he's got a beautiful sprawl (watch Silva VS Henderson, silva has some nice wrestling moves) plus he's a purple belt in Brazilian Jiu Jitsu (there are 5 belts, white/blue/purple/brown/black).

Then of course there's the Pride heavyweight champion, Antonio Rodrigo "Minotauro" Nogeira, who i think everyone can agree on has the best submission skills in the business (at his weight at least), and he's NOT boring on the ground, he always goes for submissions. But the thing with him is he's also been boxing since he was 15 (he started boxing before he started BJJ) so he's a great boxer as well.

This is basicly what your seeing in the MMA world today, fighters that are good in every aspect of the game but usually prefer one area or excell in one area, Minotauro is an excellent boxer (he's even said he wants to fight in K-1) but at the same time i dont think anyone can beat him on the ground. Your not seeing Kung Fu VS BJJ, your seeing fighter VS fighter.
    Free thinkers are dangerous!