Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: HOw would this rule change the UFC

jun

Fair enough, if it's purely about entertainment for you I suggest you watch San Shou or Kuoshu matches. There what you may be looking for. I'll stick with MMA, I'm interested in finding out who is the best overall fighter.

Smile

"Which would be more fun to watch: a wrestling match or a bare knuckles boxing fight. Obviously the latter. UFC is the worst of both worlds because it has the boringness of wrestling and the longer time limit of a world class fight. Bring back the UFC to the way it was in the early days, get rid of the groundfighting."

jun_erh,
    You really can't say obviously, becasue an answer to what is "fun" to someone is an opinion. It may be obvious to you, but maybe someone may not like the amount of blood that may occur in a bare-knuckles fight. Maybe someone might think bare-knuckle fighting is more boring, because after a while in those events people could start picking and choosing their strikes more carefully due to the amount of hand injuries that occur with no hand protection.

Also the "early days of the UFC" was a lot of Royce Gracie taking people to the ground and choking them out. There were some interesting stand-up matches going on, but many of the fights were ending up on the ground (wether or not the two fighters knew any "ground fighting"). I think the technique and skill of the competitors has gone way up since then. There are probably more striking KO's now then there were "back in the day". I do miss the "style vs. style" thing the UFC used to hype up though.

This thread is probably just a troll to rile up the rasslers around here, but I wanted to answer anyway .
    "No Pain - Good."
    - neptunesfall

"Keep the ground fighting in the UFC. Just change the surface of the ring to hard concrete, and litter it with broken glass bottles, syringes, gravel, coke cans and chip wrappers."

Sharky,
    The strikers would still say the surface favors grapplers, because the grapplers would be throwing the strikers onto the glass and syringes, while they land on the chip wrappers .
    "No Pain - Good."
    - neptunesfall

Yeah, but it'd be amusing to watch.
    All i wanted was some RICE CAKES! Now? WE MUST BATTLE.

Re: how would this rule change the UFC

Originally posted by sunstylin
    ...this is designed to promote wrestling and Brazialian Jui-Jitsu not kung-fu or boxing!
    Oh, really? Then why do they keep standing the fighters up after they have been on the ground for a while? Oh yeah, they do that because they are in favor of making the grapplers look good. Then the grapplers can just wade through punching range and take the strikers back down to the ground, showing how easy it is to make the strikers look bad. Yes, the rules favor the grapplers and promote those styles as being better.

THE OLD UFC RULES...

Not sure how many of you are aware of this, but the only rules in UFC 1-5 were:

1) No eye gouges
    2) No fish hooking
    3) No biting

Groin strikes, small joint manipulation, pressure points, etc were all allowed for quite some time after that as well.

This is such a pointless argument.
    cxxx[]:::::::::::>
    Behold, I see my father and mother.
    I see all my dead relatives seated.
    I see my master seated in Paradise and Paradise is beautiful and green; with him are men and boy servants.
    He calls me. Take me to him.

I think that the rules are pretty close to even. Favoring no one. I just think there are better grapplers fighting right now than strikers. I'm not saying that grapplers ARE better, I'm saying that I'm sure some great strikers that don't compete. It's not like we are seeing Tyson in there. (not taking anything away from the grapplers) It's like Olympic Baseball. There are some great teams in many different countries. But how would we know who is the best, if the best players aren't playing?(because the Majors don't stop their season to let players compete)

the matches i've seen lately have had the fighters stand up after each timed round. this system is way more exciting, since you get to see more strikes and take downs. many of the fights even end in knockout. i like to see fighters with a full range of skills. maybe its less realistic than just letting the fight go, but standing them up supplies the action that the fans need

"the matches i've seen lately have had the fighters stand up after each timed round. this system is way more exciting, since you get to see more strikes and take downs. many of the fights even end in knockout. i like to see fighters with a full range of skills. maybe its less realistic than just letting the fight go, but standing them up supplies the action that the fans need"

Neito, I wasn't aware of that, it's a good idea. I think my general inspiration was the UFC in Brazil video. The matches were as much an endurance test for the audience as the fighters. Even in the birthplace of BJJ, people were booing. I guess in general my thing wasn't against grappling but boredom. It's my opinion that all martial arts are seriously limited and that that's a good thing.

This is a silly thread!!! It makes no sense. Dude, why don't you post about making it elegal to kick in kickboxing. What are you talking about? UFC and NHB events are what they are because they allow ground and stand-up fighting. This makes these events closer to real combat than any other martial arts competitions. Granted, NHB, is not a street fight, but it provides an avenue for so called masters to test where they stand.
    MA fanatic

Cool Badger

The UFC was started by Royce Gracie and his family to promote Gracie Jui-Jitsu, Gung-Fu is limited in the UFC as you can not break or shatter limbs, strike to the groin, strike to the floating ribs which can cause internal bleeding, eye guage or throat strikes! And no jui-jitsu or wrestling is not in a better place to do them at all! I dont know where you got that from but please explain! what is the theory behind this? Wrestling and jui-jitsu are sports not self defence! You can not use them on the street very practicaly against more then one attacker which Gung-Fu is designed for! How can you possibly compare the two or even put them in the Octagon against each other unless there are no rules ! Because Gung-Fu is designed for survival with the least amount of damage to yourself!Gung Fu would destroy but groin strikes are no longer allowede in the UFC, Gung Fu would use pressure points, Chi meridians Bil Gee, Try the Din Mak in UFC i don't think they will allow a death sport, so in that respect UFC is designed for Wrestlers, BJJ and mma alike.
    Don't concentrate on the finger or you will misss all the heavonly glory!
    Last edited by sunstylin; 07-21-2002 at 07:40 AM.

Sunstylin,
    You have to wake up. First of all, originally, in the UFC, groin strikes, throat strikes, strikes and small limb manipulations, and rip hitting was legal. Kung Fu guys got creamed. All those fancy strikes failed. Wrestling happens to be a martial art created around the same time, if not earlier than Bodhidarma introduced the first 18 postures to the Chinese. You're right, it is difficult to grapple with more than one attacker, but that is why Brazilian JJ teaches an arsenal of stand up techniques (muay thai style kicking and punching...including eye gouging, floating rib strikes, and groin pulls). I don't think you have ever experienced sparring with a trained grappler. You seem to believe the same lies some martial arts masters have been passing along for years stating that their art can kill with a blow to floating ribs (its bs). When martial arts were becoming popular in the US (around the time American soldiers were returing from Japan, Korea, and Okinawa), masters argued over which style was best. Masters would claim that "should there be a competition with no rules, we would dominate." Well, when the Gracies opened the first UFC, and those competitions began spreading all over the US, those same masters realized that their techniques simply don't work. How come high ranking Wing Chun and other kung fu masters get taken down at will by bjj or wrestlers? What good it the art if they couldn't stand on their feet? All arts have holes. BJJ is not perfect. But, trust me man, don't believe the bs you hear from some masters who have never proved their fighting skills. BJJ has it's weaknesses, but Kung Fu has just as many.

OH, as for UFC being designed to promote BJJ. You guys make me laugh. Any martial artists could have proved that BJJ does not work by simply not allowing a take down, or KOing a BJJ black belt. All so called Karate, Kung Fu, Kyoshu, TKD, Boxing, Savate, and Penkak Silat masters failed. If you want to prove that what your master taught you works, just enter a Vale Tudo tournament and see if you can crack the floating rib causing massive internal bleeding. Until you get in the ring, don't critique those who have the balls to.
    MA fanatic
    Last edited by MA fanatic; 03-21-2002 at 06:45 PM.

MA fanatic- some people don't enter those things because they don't give a **** nor do they want to help the gracies make money. Not because they're afraid.

Jun: How would you help the Gracies make money if you enter an NHB event? You don't make any sense at all. First of all, the Gracies only owned the first 4 UFCs. Second, besides the UFC, you have Rings, Pride, King of the Cage, Hook and Shoot, International Fighting Championship (IFC), and International Vale Tudo Brazil (still the fighting tournament with less rules and no safety gear). These are the main competitions. There are numerous others on a small scale held in evey major city and state. What do Gracies have to do with it? I think this 'not want to help Gracies make money' is an excuse many so called masters used and continue to use when their students ask them 'master, how would you fair against these NHB guys?.' Its bs. This has nothing to do with the Gracies. And, as long as we're on the topic of Gracies, Gracies put up the money for the first 4 UFCs. They were also putting up a purse for those who could defeat them. They would be losing money, not winning it. Trust me, if those masters trully believed they could win, they would go and try to win. They're afraid. Personally, I respect every man, win or lose, who tested his skills in an NHB event.
    MA fanatic