Thread: omnibus or busts

omnibus or busts

So, we're all naturally gifted folks around here, or so one gets from reading everyone's posts...

Do you believe style actually matters in today's MAist? I mean, so many kwoons/dojos and basement suites mix'n match nowaday that for the most part practitioners of a given style simply employ techniques vs actual concepts, precepts and misconcepts..if you know what I mean.

I would challenge that Today's MAist (say since 1996) is not so much a stylist insomuch as they are an anthologist first and foremost. I aint saying this is bad, nor am I saying bjj sucks hahaha - just kidd'n.

Anywho..for those interested, what think ya, eh?

nospam.

I don't think style has ever mattered to a good MAist. The old masters often learned several styles. What has always mattered is the person, not the style.
    cxxx[]:::::::::::>
    Behold, I see my father and mother.
    I see all my dead relatives seated.
    I see my master seated in Paradise and Paradise is beautiful and green; with him are men and boy servants.
    He calls me. Take me to him.

bandit done gone all serious on us.

Today is a cold day in hell.

Edd
    All i wanted was some RICE CAKES! Now? WE MUST BATTLE.

Sorry Sharky, I do this now and then. You can't be a fool all the time ... though I do try my best

Actually, I was in your old stomping ground recently - was in London for work, stayed in West Hampshire but managed to get a lot of sightseeing done. Great town.
    I see my master seated in Paradise and Paradise is beautiful and green; with him are men and boy servants.

Unhappy

Thanks for looking me up

Sorry man, it was a whirlwind trip and I didn't have that much time - a few days of work, a day for sightseeing then we were off. I didn't even get to visit some guys from our school who live there.

I may be back some time in June though, so if I am I'll let you know and we can get together.

Hi.

Personally, I think that the style is important at lower level MA study.
    I see MA as a training to become a better fighter/person.

But a good MA at a high enough level will have to leave the "confines" of his style and make it his own System/Style.

And only after this has happened can he consider himself having mastered his style.

Thumbs up

Cool. I am meeting Johnny Hot Shot this summer for a second time. Can't wait

Although i havn't seen him online much lately... he doesn't post here any more? I will have to send him an email

Edd

good topic oh spamless one.

A foundation style is key. imho.

Many teachers, practitioners and masters of Kung Fu often have a foundation style and one or two other styles under their belts.
    Guaranteed the first style didn't come as easy as the following styles.

Even just rudimentary basics and a single form drilled again and again will give a person a grounding of sorts.
    That one form can become many forms as you transform it through years of practice.
    Just think of how your form looked then and how it looks now and how much you can readily understand a few of the applications in the form and are able to use them with some proficiency.

Time and practice as well as what to practice is key.

Tasting one glass of wine does not a vintner make.

peace
    Kung Fu is good for you.

There's a principle hidden inside every technique.
    I have no idea what WD is talking about.--Royal Dragon

I agree that many folks want to learn aspects of other styles. Some schools pride themselves on the number of styles that they claim to teach.

I too sometimes get caught up in wanting to learn another style. I have so far convinced myself not to try to learn a second style. I believe that if I'm ever going to get my body working the taiji way that I can't have strong influences from a second source. I will sometimes participate in an intro to other styles but I don't spend time trying to make them a part of me.

I find myself especially drawn to other styles when I'm feeling frustrated with taiji.

Style matters to me. I don't know if it matters to the majority or not.

This doesn't exactly answer your qustion, but latly i've been playing around with some ideas of that nature in my head. I think it depends on your goals and your vision a little bit. what does a person want to be? Some people may think, 'I want to kick ass and fight, kung fu style! waaaaaa!' I don't have a problem with that. So I think they can go out and learn a little bit of each system, ground fight, box, kick, and so on. become a decent fighter, at a decent rate. Then some people Perhaps think, 'I want to learn to fight x style, from the ground up.' I think that's great. So learn it just right, do all the forms, stances, drills. Work your way up the 'ladder' over the years. you might not be a great fighter right away, but your learning just the style, not falling back on your instink to box and what not. The question for both senerio's is, what now? The first person can continue to mix and match or decide for sure on a set style. The other can reach mastery at his style and try to go down in history and continue some great lineage and stay strict to his style. or he can try to make himself his own best individual fighter and mix and match some. What is the end result? The two people will be undoubtably different, but the end result can still be close to the same. I agree with what everyone has said.
    I am nothing.

There are lots of ways to climb a mountain
    I am nothing.

what if a style is actaully made of concepts and principles, and the techniques taught are merely taught as examples of issuing power?
    and what if the real "art" of this certain style is to go beyond the said techniques? meaning, you aren't considered skilled at this certain art until you reach the point of using concept, using principle, using natural law.

wait...

that's what ba gua zhang is! yes!
    thank god i picked the right sh!t!!
    only gin and tang guzzle out a rusty tin can, me and this mic is like yin and yang