Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: too *****?

Travis

sadhu sadhu sadhu...

yes the Annapanna-sati sutra is indeed a pure teaching, and it is great that you took refuge in this path. The first jhana, that is indeed a great achievement. Very auspicious indeed I am very happy for you. As I said to Harry_The_Monk, when you achieve enlightenment, remember the rest of us beings in samsara.

I am curious, where did you pick up the chanting of the 6 syllable mantra ? Also, who is your teacher ?

I am not sure if I have the right to say this, but be sure you "come down" from your state of adsorbtion slowly as opposed to suddenly. Otherwise, you can suffer from energy sickness, but of course, you might already know this, sorry to blabber.

Nexus

Excellent... It is superb to be able to compare the things you (and Repulsive Monkey and Crimson Phoenix) say and compare the teachings I have been given. It is really, simply excellent. You guys are always such a great resource, makes this forum an excellent place to come to.

Loving Kindness is the path that traverses EVERY practise of Buddhism, Theravadin, Mahayana and Vajrayana. But the above is the incomplete sadhana, the complete sadhana involves the offering of oneself to that of Chenrezig before performing the above exercise. But I best not go into that too much for now.
    Sorry for absense, lots happening.

well

actually, i picked up chanting om mani padme hum from way before i found my current path

about 3 years ago i was introduced to buddhism and my friend gave me a few books to read; and well that mantra definately touched me, along with everything else ive read about it

any love one can spread is good

as to a teacher, i've been in the process of looking for one for quite sometime without much sucess however
    all ive got is the teachings of the buddha, which are quite wonderful
    i've read about a quarter of the theravada canon - i indeed have much to learn and do need to find a teacher; ah well

if any of you can recommend a teacher in the albany area... that would be most wondeful

thanks so much
    travis
    Travis

structure in motion

If I hear of any people in the albany area searching for a teacher, i'll make sure to point them to the top guru, TjD.

- Nexus

Travis :)

Although I have no idea where Albany is, if your interest is in the Theravadin system (Pali Canon), there are many "wats" (temples) around. Perhaps loook up in the phone book.

I thinking about your problem, and perhaps if you havent had a teacher, and you find that energy is perhaps laying in places you didnt want it to be, you might want to look at this....

1. Allow adequate time coming out of samadhi. Reverand Mahinda once advised my brother (who follows the Pali Canon) have the patience to go in, have the patience go come out, after having energy stuck on his head and suffering an "odd" headache for 2 weeks.

2. Perform a little bit of walking meditation after your sit. Don't sit too late at night when you are tired. Perhaps simply chanting at night...

But I cannot emphasise enough, get a teacher. You will never find a resource better than a guru trained in teaching. I remember sitting in front of Rinponche, and he immediately saw my weakness and corrected it out.

All the words I type here cannot replace just a single of the word of a sangha. But surely, you already know that... be well and hope you find a teacher soon

albany is in upstate new york....

its new york states state capital (not NYC like everyone seems to think hehehe)

ill keep up my search, and hopefully i can find someone

thanks for all the help

peace
    travis
    Travis

structure in motion

and

sometimes i wish theravada buddism was more popular

everything ive found around here is zen and tibetan

and while i definately appreciate the both of them; zen has never really spoken to me
    and for some reason everything i read about tibetan buddism seems somehow different... i cant quite pin it down

peace
    trav
    Travis

structure in motion

TjD

Tibetan covers all the practises of the Theravadin and Mahayanist system. Although the main emphasis is on the yogic systems, students MUST go through the preliminary practises, which is identical to what you are doing now. There are 4 principle lineages but practises are all similar.

All techniques differ slightly from teacher to teacher, but truth be told, they ultimately lead you to the same goal.

Good luck...

definately :)

yes that i know

mabye ill try one out

peace
    travis
    Travis

structure in motion

good to hear, I am very happy

Good luck on whichever path you may find yourself practising my friend.
    May all beings live in peace and harmony,
    May all beings live wisely,
    May all beings be enlightened.

Cool TjD - Too*****

For what it is worth TjD, try standing meditation and Qigong exercises. Best of luck.

Damian

lately

well its gotten better actually

what ive been doing is really making sure im always mindful... and while its not 100%, its really helped a bit

thanks for all the input you guys

peace
    travis
    Travis

structure in motion