Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Choy Lay Fut (Tat Mau Wong)

Breaking holds is a definition that Lily Lau uses for their form that shares the same name. When I asked my wife to translate it she kept saying something about going to war or into a battle. She can be a pain in the arse when trying to get something translated.

Blog Entries
    I pretty much did a direct translation from the characters and it came up as something like "break hold" or "break away."

Fu-Pow:

One thing I have learned is that for so reason or another translating of the characters is not always enough. Cantonese tend to use a lot of slang and as you probably already know there are a lot of multiple meanings for characters.

I just asked my wife about it becuase she wrote out a lot of the curriculum for sifu years ago. According to her the 2nd character "tsin" means war. It could be like ping kuen where the character for ping means both level and peaceful. Some translate the form as level fist and others peaceful fist.

Peace.
    Last edited by CLFNole; 03-23-2006 at 06:51 PM.

Blog Entries
    When in doubt gotta go straight to the source:

Tyut

http://www.chinalanguage.com/cgi-bin...tonese,english

[1] [v] take off; peel off; strip; undress; take off [2] [v] abandon; renounce; cast off [3] [v] leave; escape from; get out of [4] [v] omit; omission; miss out [5] [v] slip off [6] if; in case; perhaps

Jin

http://www.chinalanguage.com/cgi-bin...tonese,english

English
    [1] war; warfare; fighting; battle [2] [v] contest; fight; contend [3] [v] shudder; shiver; tremble [4] a Chinese family name

So in actuality something like "escape the fight." Which make sense. I think I got "break holds" from some other translation. (On the curriculum I made for my Sifu I wrote "circle out.") Both translations kind of make sense though because sometimes you must "break holds" to "escape the fight." ;-).

FP
    Last edited by Fu-Pow; 03-23-2006 at 11:56 PM.

CLFNole, about a year or so back i send you that video tape. Not sure if you ever received it. It has the names of the forms written on a paper and zoomed into it - it has the chinese text as well as the engligh explanaiton. As i said, it translates it as war escape.
    得 心 應 手

蔡 李 佛 中 國 武 術 學 院 - ( 南 非 )

Eddie:

Never got the tape you spoke of. Sorry would have liked to seen it though.

Fu-Pow:

I think when you look at the set itself it could be loosely translated to "escaping from a war/battle". I guess my wife was right when she kept saying something along the lines of "fighting in a war". The form was obviously designed for multiple attackers which would be seen in battle.

Peace.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by CLFNole
    Eddie:

Never got the tape you spoke of. Sorry would have liked to seen it though.

Fu-Pow:

I think when you look at the set itself it could be loosely translated to "escaping from a war/battle". I guess my wife was right when she kept saying something along the lines of "fighting in a war". The form was obviously designed for multiple attackers which would be seen in battle.

Peace.
    I see the form as a means to escape from a circle of attackers. Especially the Che San Sau Chui combo and the quick changes in the direction of attack/defense. Jin can me war, fight or battle so there is some ambiguity. However, I think that if you were in battle and you escaped from multiple attackers you'd still be....well....in the midst of the battle. Anyways, the idea is to escape on that much I think we can agree.

FP

this wont help

i asked one of my sihings what the tranlation was, a while back, and he told me: "take off your shirt and run!". but i still think he was messing with me.

Bottom line here is the form was designed to focus on multiple attackers.

Personally I am not much for english translations, to me it is easier just to use chinese. Plus it sounds cooler

Quote Originally Posted by CLFNole
    Bottom line here is the form was designed to focus on multiple attackers.

Personally I am not much for english translations, to me it is easier just to use chinese. Plus it sounds cooler
    I agree in liking to use the Chinese terminology...but I also like to know the English equivalent...I wouldn't want to teach the "White Devil sucks pen1s" form...ya know...
    ------
    Jason

--Keep talking and I'm gonna serve you dinner...by opening up a can of "whoop-ass" and for dessert, a slice of Lama Pai!

God gave us free will. Therefore he is pro-choice.

Tat Mau Wong Distance Learning VHS!

Hi, if anyone has Tat Mau Wong Choy Lay Fut Distance Learning VHS series, please reply to my thread. I'll buy the if the price is reasonable enough. Thx!

VHS????? Wong Sifu needs to get with the times!!!!

-David
    Quote Originally Posted by RD'S Alias
    This was a case of operator error.

Well, I don't know if they have DVD format for the Distance Learning titles. I'm trying to look everywhere but can't find them, even on Ebay.

This is the link but they don't sell them anymore: http://www.tatwong.com/distance.php

Quote Originally Posted by Fu-Pow View Post
    When in doubt gotta go straight to the source:

Tyut
    http://www.chinalanguage.com
    [1] [v] take off; peel off; strip; undress; take off [2] [v] abandon; renounce; cast off [3] [v] leave; escape from; get out of [4] [v] omit; omission; miss out [5] [v] slip off [6] if; in case; perhaps

Jin
    http://www.chinalanguage.com
    [1] war; warfare; fighting; battle [2] [v] contest; fight; contend [3] [v] shudder; shiver; tremble [4] a Chinese family name

So in actuality something like "escape the fight." Which make sense. I think I got "break holds" from some other translation. (On the curriculum I made for my Sifu I wrote "circle out.") Both translations kind of make sense though because sometimes you must "break holds" to "escape the fight." ;-).

FP
    Great discussion, thanks to all of you guys, I was actually researching the translation of Tuet Jin Kuen and it was very helpful!

Would the characters for Tuet Jin Kuen be 脫 戰 拳 (tyut3 zin3 kyun4)?