Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hung Gar

Rei Guest

Hung Gar

Hey, i need u guys's help again :D
    so has anyone of you ever heard of Mark Chan? he teaches at the green dragon kungfu school in edmonton and like other kwoons too. if any of u has any information on him it would be apreciated. i know he teaches mostly hung gar tho so if anyone wants to share info on the style or comments ur welcome to!

Thanks

*To conquer others, you must first conquer yourself*

Kung Lek Guest
    Hi-
    Chan Yin Wah has a website you can visit.
    It is the Green Dragon schools website.
    just use your search engine, there's a bit of information about him and the styles taught through his organization.
    As well, there are a few posters here who are students or former students of Marc Chan's.

They can likely fill you in on stuff also.

peace

Kung Lek

Paul Skrypichayko Guest
    Yes, heard of him, seen him and a few of his students. All nice guys. Their school used to be on 109th street and 106th ave, but they recently moved to somewhere on 124th street. Their hung gar is quite different from everyone else, they call it "village style".

Go check them out, if you like them, go learn from them. I think they also do some Lung Ying, Bak Mei, and some of their students do Choy Li Fut from Leung Lap Yau.

WinnipegDragon Guest

Yup...

He is our Si-Gung.

Our school is CLF, but the variation is from the Toisan region, and it really is a 'village style'. I have not met Master Chan yet, but hopefully I will have a chance to soon.

Their webpage is http://grndragon.worldgate.net

Our Kwoon's website is at http://www.choyleefut.ca

I said to her, "For you who are so old but forever young I have many questions."

She said to me, "And I have but one answer - you must be a silhouette of the dragon against the moon."

Rei Guest

well thanks :D

OH well i met Mr. Chan many times ;) h eloves my shirts lol. but somehow him and shergold get along well why is that so is shergold is a fake^ oO amn if id be a REAL stylist i wouldnt stick with poeple u guys say are frauds :P anyways... ya im gonna go see what its liek and i saw the site way long ago... jsut wanted to get ur insight on if its all good stuff or yet again gettin jopied :D hehe

peace for now!

Kevin Barkman Guest

Dragons

"Rei" - My Sifu is (Mark) Chan Yin Wah, in Edmonton. It doesn't sound as if you know what you're talking about, but you should be a little more careful / respectful when you speak so flippantly about the Dragons in the TCMA community.

Master Chan teaches two basic arts as they were taught to him. "Foo Hok Pai" is the southern Siu Lum village style he learned from his Grandfather Wong Cheun Yip in Toishan. This art combines the teachings of wandering Sifu's, but is predominantly traditional Hung Ga and Choy Lee Fut.

BTW - Green Dragon's Hung Ga is not that much "different" from the mainstream Hong Kong version being taught in NA.

Master Chan's other primary Sifu (once he fled mainland China to Hong Kong) was Grandmaster Chow Fook - who was a highly skilled Bak Mei teacher, along with being the Elder Brother of the Dragon school. Chow Fook studied with both Cheung Lai Cheun and Lam Yiu Kwai. Master Chan also studied briefly with Lam Woon Kwong in Vancouver.

Master Chan currently serves as the Kung Fu Instructor for the Edmonton Chinese Freemasons. His Cousin Master Paul Chan serves in a similiar capacity in Toronto (Hung Luk).

However, far be it from me to defend him on this forum - since you supposedly live in Edmonton, why not go pay a visit to the school? I'm sure the students there will be more than happy to provide you with any further information you might require. I would also be happy to answer any questions you might have on this subject, if you want to email me.

Cheers - kevin

P.S. - Hi Kung Luk - nice to see you post again. Congrat's on your Schools excellent Lion Dance Article in KungFu Magazine - I found it very interesting and educational! By the way, for your future reference, Sifu Chan's first English name is spelled "Mark" :)

[This message was edited by Kevin Barkman on 03-14-01 at 06:20 PM.]

Rei Guest

Umm sorry??

hey kevin,

calm down friend i dunno where u saw i had disrespect for Mr. Chan quite the contrary :)

First whats the TCMA. Second what DRAGONS did i talk about^ if u mean the Mr. Shergold thing its cause in a nother post all these poeple told me he was a fraud and i wasnt really learning white tiger from him thats what i was refering too.. i dont doubt Mr. Chan one bit :P so calm down take it wasy and ill probly join ur class real soon anyways as soon as i get money ;) dont want a guy hating me the first day :D

so please dont take any offence to wha i said cause NOTHING was ment to be so u musta missunderstood buddy sorry :)

well se ya soon probly :D hehe

Paul Skrypichayko Guest
    Rei, wasn't your teacher learning from Mark Chan for a while? At least that's what Shergold told me. If you think Mark Chan or Richard Shergold are good masters for you, go learn from them.

People were calling your master a fraud for a few reasons.
    -You asked for everyone's opinion on whether or not your facts were true.
    -Nobody who has any skill or knowledge in Chinese martial arts recognizes white tiger.
    -Even the white tiger people shun your master.

As for Shergold and Chan getting along, who cares, it doesnt matter at all. They could be good friends, there could be business or something else. Some of my friends suck at martial arts, but I still get along with them well.

If you want info on Chan, you can ask his students or ask him. All I've heard is that when he first came to Canada, he started to learn from my ex-sifu, Stan Lee. After a while, he realized Stan Lee had nothing to teach him, so he moved on to other sifus. I heard that in the late 60's early 70's, he went back to HK and southern China, and picked up or improved his Bak Mei and Lung Ying. I'd ask him for more details on his Hung style though

Kung Lek Guest
    Hi-

Kevin, thanks for the props. Si Fu did a pretty thorough job on the article.
    Congrats yourself on opening your Kung Fu school.
    Best wishes on your success with it.
    Are you going to be at Malcolm's tournament April 28th?
    We have a little treat for the spectators.

peace

Kung Lek

tonfas Guest
    To all sifus and kung fu brothers,

These days are not easy to open a school, please respect all sifus around the world. they already has a hard life and gard time to teaching us.
    respect people as respect youself.

tonfas@hotmail.com

denali Guest
    Respect honest people, not dishonest people.

Kevin Barkman Guest
    Hi Rei - I apologize about coming across in such a cross way, like a mad cow - bad day, and I guess I misread your second post. I thought you said if someone was aquainted with Shergold, then they did not deserve respect...my hackles kind of rose to see the two mentioned in the same sentance! Anyway, sorry again about the misunderstanding.

Again though, I would be more than happy to share whatever information you need with respect to the School.

Good luck - kevin

_________

Hi Kung Lek, got a gig at the tourny? I stopped competing at his tournements a few years ago, for personal reasons. Do you guys ever enter open tournaments? - kb

Kung Lek Guest
    Hi Kevin-

sifu has a policy that any student who wishes to enter a tournament may do so by request.

So yes, at times we enter open tourneys.
    In the past we have had members enter into sparring, continuous and point as well as forms and weapons.

The training is modified for those students that do enter of course and sifu will place emphasis on Northern forms for forms competition and will instruct those who wish to fight how to do so in the boundaries of open tournaments which in general disallow much of the arsenal available to a kung fu player. :(

peace

Kung Lek

Rei Guest

No bad feelings Kevin

its all good friend! well as for information, all i want to know is how do the classes start and evolve along the way... what excersis do you do and how does the form learning process go along

thank you!

Peace!

MoQ Guest
    <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>-Nobody who has any skill or knowledge in Chinese martial arts recognizes white tiger.
    [/quote]

Paul- You MUST be all of 23 and maybe even out of mom's house, so by all measure an expert, but do these knowledgeable people of yours recognize Chui Jor Mak?

You know, your mysterious sifu that learned directly from Chan Hon Chung at age 13? How come nobody in Hung Ga has ever seen or heard of him?

Seriously, you would think that this would be considered before flappin' your lip. Hey, did you ever figger out what chi gung was all about?

Say, if you have such an amazing opportunity as to study real Hung Ga with a master that was taught directly by Chan Hon Chung, I find it curious why you would be interested in Choi Li Fut...?