Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: pak mei and wing chun

MoQ Guest
    okay, is this the bao jhang rolling elbow? This doesn't sound like boang sau at all certainly not in usage...

fiercest tiger Guest

pa ying jerng is that the open hand strike?

is the move before it sut choy(sp) right pheonix eye punch? fullstep pa ying jerng- is the bong sao in between this, as your transition?

if its the same as sup jee, kwongs version that is, my sup jee is way different. :D

peace

bakmeimonk@hotmail.com

tnwingtsun Guest

Kwongs Sup jee

In his,he salutes,grabs,punches,steps foward with right foot and expands,then does a sort of rolling elbow.Now this rolling elbow is where my sub jee has its low bong sao,BUT,my sub jee is different in many ways before and after this happens,but he does do a soft/heavy backhand after his rolling elbow,but there are so many other things left out,is this the way he teaches his students?,like to hear from one of his students if this is just disinformation,mine is different,and this is not the "short cross set" I learned,his sub jee kind of looks like "Flower" set.
    Good thing for slow motion on VCRs

wisdom mind Guest

form from tape

he teaches sub jee as is on the video tape...then leaves it up to the student to mimick moves. it takes many years to learn from Kwong Sifu and his kwoon is family/club like. traditional. as time passes, techniques are shown with application, etc. its all in time with Kwong Sifu. as he says, many quit few stay.

KMF students Guest

Tnwingtsun….

We are students of Sifu Kwong Man Fong. Until now we have refrained from posting, since we believe everyone is entitled to their opinion. However, we believe a few of your comments are misguided; we are posting to voice our views on them.

Regarding your comments about the way sub jee was performed on our videotape:

Different instructors of the same style choose different aspects of the system to emphasize; our Sifu has chosen speed and power. This is given the fact that most combatants in a fight will be trying to move faster than their opponent, strike harder and avoid being hit.

As far as my classmate having a heart attack, it’s highly unlikely since one must be in suburb physical condition to move at that pace and intensity.

Regarding your comments about missing techniques in sub jee.

You seem to have a preconceived notion that movements were left out from our demonstration of sub jee. How do you know that movements weren’t added to your version of sub jee?

Variations in forms and techniques are common in different schools of the same style. Look at any master’s demo with different schools doing the same style. We have seen forms from students of Cheung Bing Lam, Chan Dor, and a few other schools, although the forms are approximately the same, there are some variations among the techniques.

When a classmate of yours came for a visit in the late ‘90’s, he performed nine-step push. It was different from the way we perform it, but this does in no way mean one is better than the other

We wish well in your training, and we look forward to further communication between our schools.

Our website has moved, the new address is: [URL=http://www.whiteeyebrowpakmeikungfu.homestead.com/]

kull Guest
    I like to say that i have yet to see any form from bak mei performed exactly same.

Although, 9 step push seems to be relatively uniformed from different teachers, in comparison to the other forms in bai mei.

tnwingtsun Guest

KFM Students

As I posted before,no offence intended on my comment about the student having a heart attack.
    A bad choice of words on my part,you have my appolgies.
    We all know that speed can be relative.
    As for variations of techniques from school to school those can also apply from student or group of students.
    The nine step push you saw from my school is a little different than what I first learned.
    I have learned three versions of Jek Bo,all being very close.
    So if I seem fixed on a certain technique or the way they are preformed my intent is only a quest for knowledge.
    The concepts are the same,your Sifu's Kung-Fu looks very good and there is no mistaken that it is real Bai Mei.
    I look foward to future insights from your group.
    As for my opinion on your Sifu's Sub Jee,I think his explosive power is very impressive,as Chen Dor's also,please do not think that I am in anyway judging your Sifu or your school,that position rests not in my hands.
    You answered my question about if that was the way Sub Jee is taught in your school,the variations I saw were all Bai Mei,I also enjoyed the applications of the techniques.
    Will there be future videos?,the Sub Jee one was put together well.
    I will update your website on my end.
    Thank you for your well wishes and if I may, wish you and your school well also

meltdawn Guest
    I'd still like to know how FT's and tnwingtsun's sup jee differ from each others'.

Kwong put his on tape. Let's hear more about yours, FT, this is interesting.

"Waiting is bad." - Musashi

chessboxer Guest

a question tnwingtsun?

Greetings,

I see that you are a student of Dr. Wong's. I remember seeing him at a weekend seminar a few years back that my sifu had him come. Although personally i have not seen him in some time. How long have you been with Dr. Wong and who have you studied wing chun with. Any memorable moments with Wong?

Humbly yours
    Johnny

tnwingtsun Guest

Johnny

Alot of memorable moments,inside and outside of the school.
    His younger brother's Kung-Fu is very good too.
    http://www.atlantamartialarts.com/schools/ykpc.htm

WingTsun,Leung Ting/Emin Boztepe's branch.
    AWTO

chessboxer Guest

thanks tnwingtsun

Greetings,

i did not know that he has a brother. How is the training...rough, a real workout. Mind sharing a memory from your memory bank. i still have a flyer for a chi gung seminar he did last summer, i unfortunately I couldnt go.

Humbly yours
    Johnny

tnwingtsun Guest
    The training when I was there full time was butal.
    NHB,no pads or gloves,a loud shout of STOP!!! from Dr.Wong prevented alot of serious injurys.
    His brother stopped by often and showed us
    some neat things.Dr.Wong is nice compared to his brother(IMHO).
    I haven't seen YK Wong in some years but if he's
    anything like he used to be he had arms that felt
    like he had steel re-bar(see wolverine on X-men)
    for bones.
    Lots of neat stories about YK,the local police
    which I have friends that were on the force
    back then when YK owned a restaurant and bar
    used to make it a habit of checking YK's
    dumpster for knocked out bikers,thats where he liked to put them after he was finished with them
    (and lucky for them)
    They got a kick out of watching the EMTs fish the bikers out of the trash while YK stood by and grinned,mans got a sence of humor.

chessboxer Guest

sounds painful

Greetings,

ouch, didnt know that Dr wong like to run experiments on bikers (lol) i also remember he brought some students with him one time. One of them was a female who did tai chi, she looked very impressive. On a previous post you talked about sparring with bando practioners, how did that come about. From what my sifu has told me some of his students have gotten some bumps and bruises from the hard training. I bet the bikers didnt expect to get hurt from such an unlikely person such as Dr wong. Best to you.

Humbly yours
    Johnny

tnwingtsun Guest
    It was his brother "YK" that sent the bikers
    dumpster diving after they started trouble
    at his resturant,the Bando came about because
    we had three Bando black belts in our class,which they gave up for Bai Mei.
    Their Bando friends had schools close
    by,well,after getting kicked out of Karate
    bouts(we didn't play the tap point game) we knew the Bando people trained with a more combat mind
    set than your run of the mill
    karate schools,so it was on!,I'm having a hard time with this because it brings back alot of funny stuff.
    Before we spared,they were warming up,a bando man and a women were sparing,the guy knocked her out.......COLD,she went to the hospital,never saw her again.
    I still have scares from the good old days.
    Can't make an omlet unless ya crack some eggs.

[This message was edited by tnwingtsun on 03-13-01 at 12:37 AM.]

chessboxer Guest

what is the funny stuff???

Greetings,

yes from what i have heard and read bando practioners do have a more combative mind the most point karate schools. Did Dr wong spar with his students..or only the ones that had been around for some time. Sometimes to much point sparing can make you develop bad habits ( my opinion anyways). i hope those scars arent too noticeable. By the way any challange matches happen while you were studying with Dr wong?

Humbly yours
    Johnny