Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: To Critics of NHB fighting

It was designed for masters to display their skills. Those who could did. Sure, UFC promoters do make money. But, all martial arts teachers make money. All tournament sponsors make money. All Kung Fu masters selling their videos make money. What does money have to do with what we saw as far as techniques utilized?
    MA fanatic

The few guys I see practicing ninjitsu now would lose royaly in NHB (I think some actually have).
    I would disagree. But then again you've never seen me train! I practice ninpo as well ( I would like to focus exclusively on the koppo arts but... ) I have beaten many pple here on the NHB/jujutsu scene. I may not be big time yet but maybe someday....
    Xiao Ao Jiang Hu Zhi Dong Fang Bu Bai (Laughing Proud Warrior Invincible Asia) Emperor of Baji!!!

(Spellcheck by Chang Style Novice!)

And all while holding a beer may I add!
    I quit after getting my first black belt because the school I was a part of was in the process of lowering their standards A painfully honest KC Elbows

The crap that many schools do is not the crap I was taught or train in or teach.

Dam nit... it made sense when it was running through my head.

DM

People love Iron Crotch. They can't get enough Iron Crotch. We all ride the Iron Crotch for the exposure. Gene

Find the safety flaw in the training. Rory Miller.

Asia:
    Which competitions have you been in? What state? What were the rules or was it pure Vale Tudo? Which school were your apponents from? What styles were they from? I keep a close look on the NHB scene and haven't heard of anyone from pure Ninjitsu system winning. Congratulations. If you can win some major events against worthy apponents, you could put classical arts back on the map. Go for it.
    MA fanatic

Originally posted by Asia
    My first experience with BJJ (back in 94) was when a coworker asked me to go to his school.
    Asia:
    I am curious as to which school this was, since there were only a couple of BJJ instructors outside of Brazil at this time>

Knife, were'nt Royce and the brothers teaching down in California at that time?
    When I first started BJJ it was about that time too, but it was with some high school guys who got together to fight in a garage. One of them had made a few trips to Rickson's school down in LA. The rest of us caught seminars and stuff from him too... Well maybe that wasn't 94.....95, 96 maybe?

damm I feel old

Ryu
    "No judo! NO NO!"

"One who takes pride in shallow knowledge or understanding is like a monkey who delights in adorning itself with garbage."

Attain your highest ability, and continue past it. Emotion becomes movement. Express that which makes you; which guides you. Movement and Mind without hesitation. Physical spirituality...
    This is Jeet Kune Do....

94 and fighting bjj myth

LOL
    UFC premiered in 93. At the time we had a BJJ boom, coming off of TKD boom, lol. There were only a few schools teaching BJJ and all were run by either the Machado's or the Gracies. There were little highschool clubs, and backyard brawl type events sponsored by seniors of various highschools. That does not constitute a martial arts tournament. Had you gone to a legit school and defeated anyone blue belt level or above, it would have been known. I'm sure you're a tough guy, but what school did your friend from work take you to? Who was teaching? There are numerous little clubs all over the country with guys who are completely clueless as to what they are doing. How old are you?
    How old were you in 94? I hope this isn't some silly post by a kid who beat up some other kids after school who claimed to be bjj students (who learned from UFC and Gracie videos lol).
    MA fanatic

It is important to note that the Gracie family had an open challenge for many years. (I think they still do.) So far no one had come down to their school and won. Many have come and lost royaly though.