Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Branches of Dragon style

Melty

Thank you!

If you don't mind... When LYG was studying under the monk was the system know as LY or did LYG name it?

Could there be a chance that other decendents of the monk are teaching LY, but under a different name?

Thanks in advance

Buby
    Last edited by Buby; 04-12-2002 at 08:05 AM.

Luke, there...is...anoth....

Originally posted by meltdawn
    Je Lei Sifu:
    EAZ:
    "WHICH branch of Dragon is linked to WHICH branch of Pak Mei."

Students of Cheung Lai Chen who learned both arts, or students of both Cheung and Lam Yiu Kwai are those who have decendants that may or may not exhibit more or less crossover of either art.

fiercest tiger:
    "Did lum yul gwai have training brothers with the monk or was there another dragon?"

It is known in China and Hong Kong that Monk Dai Yuk had students before Lam Yiu Kwai. Grandmaster Lam was an excellent fighter and brought the art to the public eye. Otherwise, it would still be a relatively rare art.
    Hello Meltdown.

Based on your comment from FT which I have heard from other sources as well, it is possible that there are other Dragon branches totally unrelated to Lam Yiu Kwai, as they may have learnt from Dai Yuk (or someone else) before Lam Yiu Kwai and gone their own way.

I say this because in Pak Mei lineages, there is a thicket of practioners around CLC and LYK, who practice PM with great similarities with PM.

Then there appear to be another bunch of PM people (less numerous and certainly less visible) who speak of a Dragon influence in PM, but the principles and manner of this influence lead to a different theoretical and practical version of PM.

The thicket people name things like Lung Yin Mo kiu and TTFC as common link between the two, proving the proximity of CLC and LYK. Of this influence there is no doubt in certain branches of PM.

However the "bunch of PM people" refer to Dragon influence notably in advanced internal principles (not really discussible onthe net sorry for the tease), the link to the principle behind the 9 step push form, and the concentration on Shen in certain PM practices, as refering to a previous influence called "Dragon".

Was this bunch influenced by another branch from Dai Yuk, did LYK intigrate in his own manner this knowledge to create his "modern" version of Dragon, etc... I don't know.

Just thinking about wht you said regarding LYK being an excellent fighter and bringing the style into the public eye, this strikes me similarly to CLC's story. Should we be talking of other branches of CLC?

I think I remember in a misty way, that someone on this forum once said they belonged to another branch of PM not directely a descendent of CLC....

EAZ

difference lineages

Good questions about other lineages less known ! How many people learnt from both CLC and LYG at the same time!? And possible mixed the two again coming up with quite different froms based on the same principles of both styles.

Who know heh !

EAZ:
    "Based on your comment from FT which I have heard from other sources as well, it is possible that there are other Dragon branches totally unrelated to Lam Yiu Kwai, as they may have learnt from Dai Yuk (or someone else) before Lam Yiu Kwai and gone their own way. "

It is not "possible", it is so. I repeat: It is known in China and Hong Kong that Monk Dai Yuk had students before Lam Yiu Kwai.

Buby:
    "If you don't mind... When LYG was studying under the monk was the system know as LY or did LYG name it?"

Lam Yiu Kwai did not rename it.

sui-fuw:
    I am not sure what you just said. Our "single tree" comes from Sui Lum.

Can you explain why you think my kung fu comes from the branches? Doesn't a tree need foliage to survive? Are you insinuating that I come from Lam Yiu Kwai's kung fu? Are you trying to get me to say otherwise? I am fortunate to answer yes to both questions, as I've already stated my lineage. I'm sorry, there are some further answers to these questions that you will never be told. It's none of your business.

Can you please tell the public why you think you know so much about my master's kung fu? Why do you care? Your information is always incorrect, I would be happy to set you straight. Are you just searching for answers? I am a nice person, ask me directly what you want to know.

Where do you live? Who is your master? Answer my questions and I'll answer yours. For clearly you are still seeking kung fu.
    East River Dragon Style, Lam Family
    東河龍形 - 林家拳, 林志平,師傅

Meltdawn

If only I could speak fukienese, I would be able to ask Leung Sifu who he had learned from. The other problem is that my sidai no longer attend the school.

Wish I could find out more for you

Peace

Je Lei Sifu
    The Southern Fist Subdues The Fierce Mountain Tiger

Wow--so..ok, I'm confident some will say "Why are you commenting on a thread which is already almost 20 yrs old"?

The answer is..I just saw it now! Happy? LOL

Re: more than one LY familyetc,

Someone told me( a LY stylist) that LY has: a Hong Kong version, a version from Fukien and an older..temple version. Can anyone comment?

Best,
    LTN

The Lung Ying system being discussed is from Lam Yiu Gwai. Lam came from a family of martial artists from Huizhou in south central Guangdong. His family's arts were supposedly learned from teachers at Luofu mountain who were from Shanwei prefecture.
    Lam Yiugwai's Lung Ying style seems to be a further development of Lam Ga boxing (his family's style).
    It has no relation to any martial arts taught in Fujian or in any temple (well supposedly some of the guys the lam family learned from were "Buddhist monks" (this can mean a lot of things especially in context of Guangdong) so they could have stayed at some temple or had some relation with some temple but nothing survives from them except through the Lam family line.
    There are "dragon" styles everywhere you look in China and generally they have no relation at all with each other.
    There are lots of "dragon" styles in Fujian but two of them are particularly famous. The most famous and widespread one is from northeastern Fujian and is based on local folk boxing / eastern Fujian Luohan boxing methods. This system split into a few major branches and is really widely spread in Fujian going as far south as Quanzhou. You see it's forms and methods in lots of village arts and family styles in the northern half of Fujian.
    The other is practiced in southern Fujian mainly in Zhangzhou, Xiamen and Longyan. It is based mainly on Hakka methods from Jiangxi and local Hakka plum flower boxing methods from Longyan.
    Neither of them practice any of the same forms or are in any way related to the Lung Ying system of Lam Yiu Gwai.
    So no, there is no such thing as Fujian or "temple" Lung Ying.

Lung Ying is just the one set isn't it? Lung Ying Mor Kiu.

Interestingly, I have also heard more than once that Lien Bo Chuan, the preliminary set taught in north shaolin is a remnant of Shaolin Dragon boxing.

Anyway... 20 year old threads with recent responses are cool.
    Kung Fu is good for you.