Thread: Chinese Calligraphy as a meditation/qigong

Chinese Calligraphy as a meditation/qigong

I have just started a course on Chinese Calligraphy and can see the powerfull meditation that it can be.
    I am very much enjoying it.So much that I can see myself doing this stuff in my spare time for relaxation.Although for a non artistic type like myself it will take a while.
    Anybody with any experiences about calligraphy as meditation who would like to share there thoughts?Does anyone have this form of Qigong intergated in your MA?
    A Problem is only a Problem if you think it is a Problem and every Problem has a solution

Don't worry about losing lass,I've been wrestling wolves since you were suckling on your mama's titt
    Groundskeeper Willy

Anybody out there practising this or has this intergarated into their MA?
    I recently started learning,and can see how it can be a powerful meditation.
    Any experiences comments?
    A Problem is only a Problem if you think it is a Problem and every Problem has a solution

Don't worry about losing lass,I've been wrestling wolves since you were suckling on your mama's titt
    Groundskeeper Willy

This is slightly OT but interesting nonetheless:
    There was actually a study that seemed to confirm that writing Chinese/Japanese characters helped westerners reduce stress and tension. Interestingly writing Roman letters had a similar effect on Chinese and Japanese people.

I would like to learn as well. I want to learn to speak the laguage and think this would be a nice compliment to learn the writing as well as a beautiful art form.

"I never knew my name looked so much like the word sword."

Had to quote the movie.

Hey there Anton,nice post
    I find the concentration required is close to some forms of raja yoga I have tried.

Groundskeeper Willy

Originally posted by Ka
    Hey there Anton,nice post
    I find the concentration required is close to some forms of raja yoga I have tried.
    Thanks...
    I am interested in learning/practicing some raja yoga. How did you learn, did you learn from a book or were you lucky enough to find someone to teach you? Any other tips I should be aware of?

There is an article on our site www.rovere.com. (Look under the articles section as I can't remember the exact link. It was originally published in Inside Kung Fu mag. in 1996.)

Its an interview/account of a women calligrapher I met in China -- who talks about the very thing you are discussing.

Kung Fu Wisdom

THREADS
    Shaolin Special 2019 (SPRING) on Shaolin sub-forum.
    Shaolin Special 2019 (SPRING) on Kung Fu Tai Chi Magazine & KungFuMagazine.com sub-forum
    Calligraphy
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart