Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Shaolin Warriors

7kicks Guest

Shaolin warriors

For those of you in the new england area the Shaolin Warriors will be performing at the orpheum theatre in Boston Nov 4, Start time is 8:00 P.M. tickets are available thru ticket master.

Terry Guest
    For those of you in the New Jersey area, the Shaolin Warriors from the Republic of China will be performing on Friday, 11/10, 8 P.M. at the McCarter Theatre in Princeton (Box Ofc: 91 University Place, Princeton, NJ 609 258-2787). See website for more info - www.mccarter.org

Grays Anatomy Guest
    Terry - the McCarter show is sold out.

They are playing this Firday NIght at the Beacon Theatre in NYC.

I recommend Shaolin Warriors

Got a chance to see the Shaolin Warriors show in Tempe last night, it was really good.

The story line was a little lost on me, I would not have followed it at all if not for being clued in by KFQ.

The performance was great, especially the kids. I was interested to see the different animal styles; I hadn't seen toad, scorpion or crane before. The weapons were also cool, double chain whip getting the most oohs and aahs.

The music was a little cheesy, worthy of Ennio Morricone, but not too distracting. My wife objected to the obvious choreography of the fighting scenes but that didn't bother me too much.

Lastly I saw quite a few moves that I also practice in my Wushu training. I believe that this ties in with the discussions about what Shoalin is "selling" for lack of a better word.

Just thought I'd open up debate on whether the show is really contemporary Wushu, or whether Wushu got it's moves from Shaolin.

I don't mean to ruffle anyones feathers, just curious about others opinions and what they base them on.
    "I believe that, in a stupid society, intelligence is useless." - Shen Congwen (My Education)

Shaolin Warriors

Has anyone seen Shaolin Warriors? I am assuming that it will be mostly wushu, I was however hoping to see a qigong demo with it. Any comments?
    practice wu de

Actually I bored everyone to death. Even Buddhist and Taoist monks fell asleep.....SPJ

Forums are no fun if I can't mess with your head. Or your colon...
    uh-oh, I hope no one quotes me on that....Gene Ching

I'm not Normal.... RD on his crying my b!tch left me thread

Gene

Did you hear more on that school in Chicago at the Shaolin Warriors show?

NP... Sorry, my school was supposed to open for them with a Lion Dance. But they would not let us in becase of a school in Chicago started a fight with another school and the monks!!!
    Last edited by Fen; 03-26-2002 at 02:30 PM.
    館術國勇威 Wei Yong Martial Arts Association
    戰挑的權霸統傳 The Challenge for Traditional Supremacy
    http://www.weiyongkungfu.com

shaolin warriors

I met these guys when they came through Toronto.

All young guys from the Shaolin village. And yes, the performances were pretty much competition wu shu style routines.
    Still, highly entertaining.

I got some pics of the guys, I put one up at my site. Take a look and see if you recognize any of these guys.

http://members.rogers.com/kunglek/pics.htm

(they are located under the Kung Fu II link)

peace
    Kung Fu is good for you.

no confirmation on Chicago yet

Does anyone have the program from the most recent tour? I have the program for the 2000 tour and interestingly enough, only one performer used a monk name.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

I have a program around here somewhere.

What would it say for "monks" name?

peace
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Shi
    practice wu de

Actually I bored everyone to death. Even Buddhist and Taoist monks fell asleep.....SPJ

That's Shi for a fully indoctrinated monk

But some just use the generation names and drop the Shi, in which case it might be de, xing, yong, yan, heng, & miao.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

ok, there is a fully indoctrinated monk among them, one Shi Jianjun.

the rest are:
    Chen Fei, Chen Haiyang, Gao Haibo, gong yong feng, Li Shiqing, Liu Biao, liu Chuankuo, liu quanzhi, liu wei, luomingjian, ma taichang, meng xu, sun keyuan, wang wei, wu shangwei, wu xinbo, xu ligong, xu pengjun, yang bin, zhang daoyou, zhang guicai, zhang yonggheng and zhao yulong.

these are just the performers from that tour and not the production team members or the creative team et al.

peace
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Right, I think he was the same one as in 2000

He's a disciple of Abbot Shi Yongxin and the head master of all the other students, yes?
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Wow, I went last night.....some great wushu, the kids were amazing. The broadsword and chain wip was pretty cool too.
    practice wu de

Shaolin Warriors

was entertaining, was interesting but , did not blow me away. I guess it was more to introduce the general public to shaolin rather than to satisfy hardcore enthusiasts. Has anyone else watched it? What are your thoughts.