Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Shaolin Warriors

Re: compulsories

Originally posted by GeneChing
    Thanks for reading my work. The compulsories article is in the Shaolin Specia

As for Antonio Graceffo's article, it's sad and it'll get more sad. He's working on a book of his adventures in China. The situation with book in the temple is tough, but that kind of thing happens at any monastery that has such a high tourist appeal. The interesting thing is that after such a negative experience, Antonio still has great love and respect for Shaolin. We'll post part two of his story next week. If you all like his work, let me know, since he has a lot more.

Have you read the latest Shaolin ezine article?. It's by John Greenhow, who is still at Shaolin now. Both Antonio's and John's experiences contrast sharply with each other (and with mine) and we were all there early this year. That's the amazing thing about Shaolin. Everyone sees a different thing. Some might say it's like a mirror, like Chan. But others might take the example of the 6th patriarch, and know that this analogy doesn't hold dust.
    I still want to go there, but more of a pilgrimage. I would do a little training not much. I will check out the ezine now.

compulsory and compulsive behavior

SCR107: It's a mistake to think that traditional is static. Martial arts forms, like all arts, are vital. So take for example something as traditional as classical music - each conductor might have his own variation. A master painter may paint in a traditional style, but his or her works will express an individual style. If it doesn't, he's not really an original master, just a derivation. Variation on expression is very different from derivation from tradition - but it is a fine line to the untrained eye. This can be a real tricky issue for some, especially if you're fixated on the movements of the forms and not the essence of what they express.

sll: Please don't take these articles as discouragement of your desire to go. I don't think that either John and Antonio had this intention, and I certainly don't. The truth is that any real pilgrimage is fraught with challenges unforeseen. Antonio, John and I have had our hardships there, still do in fact, but I doubt any of us would trade our experiences there for a comfortable sofa in front of the tube, if you know what I mean.
    And to be frank, you better train if you go to Shaolin. Otherwise, it's not much of a pilgrimage. You'll get there, I daresay.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Thumbs up

k

Re: compulsory and compulsive behavior

I didn't mean to put any one off going, or to devalue the place for anyone - it's just an account of what I learned there and perhaps with hindsight of what I'm taking away with me.

Yes, people will try to rip you off in Shaolin. But keep your eyes open and stay sensible, just like you would at home. Don't believe everything you're told, learn your own lessons.

Go there, train and learn what makes Shaolin, well, Shaolin. It's that constant background rhythm of the setting and acheiving of goals, that focus, motivation and drive that keeps those people doing what they do for so long. The acceptance that there are no shortcuts, no esoteric, hidden skills (well, not many), just hard work. Shaolin's a focal point for your own kungfu. You'll earn respect there if you work hard and contempt if you don't and that might help you along.

Even if Shaolin's not your style I think there's a lot to be gained from just training for a while. Escapism at it's very purest, and a chance to see what your mind will do given a bit of space from the everyday you're used to.

The hardest part of Shaolin is people arriving expecting this silent and peaceful place all tucked away in the mountains, and so many get dissappointed by the modern commercial reality. But if you can accept this reality as something that was aways going to happen, just another part of the Game, and take what Shaolin DOES have to offer, then you could have a very rewarding experience.

John

By the way, I've just left Shaolin and am kicking around at the base of Wudang Shan waiting for the rain to stop so I can hike up to the top. No trucks or cars possible as the road's under some kind of construction work. Course, there are those who see the pack on my back and PROMISE me they can take me up for just 300RMB, that I'll never walk it. Just playing the Game - I know what I'm here for.

Re: compulsory and compulsive behavior

sll: Please don't take these articles as discouragement of your desire to go. I don't think that either John and Antonio had this intention, and I certainly don't. The truth is that any real pilgrimage is fraught with challenges unforeseen. Antonio, John and I have had our hardships there, still do in fact, but I doubt any of us would trade our experiences there for a comfortable sofa in front of the tube, if you know what I mean.
    And to be frank, you better train if you go to Shaolin. Otherwise, it's not much of a pilgrimage. You'll get there, I daresay.
    if I do i will look you up.

I'm seeing shaolin warriors tonight! I 've seen wheel of life on video. I'll let you know whats what after the weekend.
    Bless you

Re: compulsories

If you all like his work, let me know, since he has a lot more.
    I like both Antonio's and John's work, and would like to see more of it in the ezine.
    Cut the tiny testicles off of both of these rich, out-of-touch sumbiches, crush kill and destroy the Electoral College, wipe clean from the Earth the stain of our corrupt politicians, and elect me as the new president. --Vash

From the wheel of live video I saw,
    I thought warriors was much, much better. They just seemed more creative and more talented,
    BUt....my opinion is worthless.
    Bless you

wheel vs. warriors

I lean towards wheel since it was more artsy. As for the kung fu, they were about the same to me. Keep in mind that the performers rotate, so individual performances might differ.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Keep in mind that the performers rotate, so individual performances might differ.
    Scarey how few people actually realize this....
    practice wu de

Actually I bored everyone to death. Even Buddhist and Taoist monks fell asleep.....SPJ

Forums are no fun if I can't mess with your head. Or your colon...
    uh-oh, I hope no one quotes me on that....Gene Ching

I'm not Normal.... RD on his crying my b!tch left me thread

warriors seemed more artsy to me
    I guess everything is in the eye of the individual!
    Bless you

And it's live theater...

After working in music for so long, you learn that there's a lot to the moment of live performance. I remember working Steel Pulse two nights in a row, first at San Jose Events then next at Oakland's H.J. Kaiser. The first show sucked. SJ acoustics were horrible, sending the horn section int a jangly clashy mess. The next day was incredible. The Kaiser has incredible acoustics, an old masonic building that resonnates - the horns sounded like gospel. The band was fully aware of this and really turned it on for the Kaiser show. So it was like one show was a -1 and the next was a 10+.

I think a lot of people get really desensitized to the power of live performance with videos and recorded stuff. Especially now, with all the special effects. But if you've been in the moment of performance, especially with martial arts, you can really feel the qi. I also argue that some expressions of martial arts, like fajing, just don't capture well on film. Not that there was a lot of fajing in Wheel or Warriors, but the point stands. There is something to be said for live touring martial arts troupes.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Gene
    you know us deadheads appreaciate live performances I'm actually starting lion dancing class tonight. I've been sifuless for about 2 months now, and I want to put all my focus on this. It is Fat San style, but I don't know anything about lion dancing. THe teacher did say that we are expected to perform!

I'll let y'all know how it goes.
    Bless you

Speaking of deadheads & lion dance

Did I ever show you this?
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Nice article.....

We've had discussions about things like this before, scarey how ego can drive people, and how an ego got it started, but in a way, was never involved.
    practice wu de

Actually I bored everyone to death. Even Buddhist and Taoist monks fell asleep.....SPJ

Forums are no fun if I can't mess with your head. Or your colon...
    uh-oh, I hope no one quotes me on that....Gene Ching

I'm not Normal.... RD on his crying my b!tch left me thread