Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Shaolin Warriors

who going to the free classs at UH tommarow??
    i will be on campus already doing a project
    so i ama drop by that area and chek itout
    wont be going to da show
    weeeeeeee

I am. You going Mark?

Ryan,

Did you end up going to the class and how was it? I brought a contingent of students down Saturday from Austin to train with our Sifu. I asked him about going to check that class out and he said he thought it would be just the basics since it was open to the public so we didn't go since my students are already pretty well versed in the basics.

Quote Originally Posted by sha0lin1 View Post
    Ryan,

Did you end up going to the class and how was it? I brought a contingent of students down Saturday from Austin to train with our Sifu. I asked him about going to check that class out and he said he thought it would be just the basics since it was open to the public so we didn't go since my students are already pretty well versed in the basics.
    me and ryan both went
    there was 3 different groups
    one group that had kung fu experience
    one group that had martial art expereince
    one group that never trained in anything
    the kung fu group learned seven star form
    the martial art group learned some form and part of lin huan chang
    the group with no experience was learning tai chi??i couldnt really see, didnt pay attention either
    it was just mostly form teaching...and some applications....

Quote Originally Posted by Pk_StyLeZ View Post
    me and ryan both went
    there was 3 different groups
    one group that had kung fu experience
    one group that had martial art expereince
    one group that never trained in anything
    the kung fu group learned seven star form
    the martial art group learned some form and part of lin huan chang
    the group with no experience was learning tai chi??i couldnt really see, didnt pay attention either
    it was just mostly form teaching...and some applications....
    Thanks for letting us know PK. Sounds cool, I already have learned Seven Star and my students that came down all know Lian Huan Quan but it sounds like if we went it would have been pretty cool to see if there were any variations or different applications outside what Shi Xing Ying teaches.

Thanks for letting us know PK. Sounds cool, I already have learned Seven Star and my students that came down all know Lian Huan Quan but it sounds like if we went it would have been pretty cool to see if there were any variations or different applications outside what Shi Xing Ying teaches.
    i learned 7star from sifu xing ying before and it was different.(well not really but some part was different, just some hand position was in different spots)
    i dont think he(the guy at the class teaching) finished teaching the form...but he did demonstrate it at the very beginning before the classes.
    lin huan chang was a little bit different though

Hey Scott. Like Mark said, we both went to the UH class. It was pretty cool. There were 3 monks there. They came out and each did a form. One did a Hsing-I form, one did some Chen Tai Chi form, and another did 7 Star Fist form like Mark said. Then they broke everyone into the 3 groups. The monk teaching our group only finished teaching 7 Star to the first kick, so he didn't get all that far in it. Xing Hao was there too going around explaining things.

I went to the Jones Hall show on Sunday too and it was pretty cool too, but I liked the Tennessee show more.

Just out of curiosity...

...did Xinghao know those monks?
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post
    i didnt ask...i wanted to...but xing hao was busy talking to everyone else...i didnt have time to sit and wait to talk to him after the class....i was on campus already working on a project and just took a break to go see the class

I asked Xing Ying and he said he did not know any of these monks. I am assuming that they were all probably Yan generation so Yan Feng may have known them but I guess he wasn't there.

Yanfeng was part of Xinghao's circle

They might be different generations, but they were on many of the same tours and trained together extensively. Yanfeng was the kid monk back when Xinghao was one of the star performers. Deshan and Xingying were also in that group. So they probably know the same circles, more or less. I hung out with Xinghao back when he was at Shaolin in '95 a lot. I knew Yanfeng and Xingying too, but not as well. I didn't know Deshan - may have met him there and just forgot.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

I asked Xing Ying and he said he did not know any of these monks. I am assuming that they were all probably Yan generation so Yan Feng may have known them but I guess he wasn't there.
    ya yan feng trained with xing hao, xing ying, de shan, xing wei, li peng, xing hong, de cheng and etc.
    IMO this was the best tour group and most skilled of all i seen

I'm inclined to agree...

... but I'm biased since I know most of the best (and one is my shifu )

They worked together the longest and formed the first major international tours, paving the way for those that followed. They were really the avant garde. They were there as Shaolin was first rising, so many of them saw Shaolin when it was a lot harder. The following generations lived in more luxury. I think some of the following tours were flashy, better shows even, but those first tours were much tighter in a martial way, especially with their sparring forms. The first group had to do it all - teach, perform, defend - it's like comparing football players of old (when there was no separation between offense and defense) and today's player, who has a lot of technology to rely upon.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

... but I'm biased since I know most of the best (and one is my shifu )

They worked together the longest and formed the first major international tours, paving the way for those that followed. They were really the avant garde. They were there as Shaolin was first rising, so many of them saw Shaolin when it was a lot harder. The following generations lived in more luxury. I think some of the following tours were flashy, better shows even, but those first tours were much tighter in a martial way, especially with their sparring forms. The first group had to do it all - teach, perform, defend - it's like comparing football players of old (when there was no separation between offense and defense) and today's player, who has a lot of technology to rely upon.
    yeah i guess u can call me bias too...since i know most of the one i just named also and trained with 4 of them.....
    but its true, the new generations are living much more luxury than the older generation.

It's all relative, I suppose

When we say luxury, the bulk of Shaolin students are still crapping in trenches that are emptied manually. That's got to be one of the worst jobs in the world - 3rd world sewage management. But I don't think they're eating as many rats as before. Did you catch the section in Matt Polly's American Shaolin where Xinghong discusses that?
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips