Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: My webpage

Cool My webpage

I finally have breathed life back into my lineage's website.

Buk Hsing Fut Gar

I'll be updating it on an ongoing basis with lessons and insights into our style.

nospam.

Thumbs up well done

Nice page. Your links page is down. Otherwise, you have some very interesting information that I will have to give more attention to outside of being in the office. Keep up the great work brother.

BTW, there is going to be a controversial article my sifu wrote early last month that I have just been asked to post. I'll let you guys know when it's up.

k
    Last edited by k-no; 03-29-2002 at 10:54 AM.

Thanks k-no.

I have about 2 dead links...my bio being the second.

I'm going to add some training clips in the near future.

Looking forward to your posting of that article!! BTW, who is your sifu?

nospam.

Lightbulb hey there Nospam

Hey Nospam,

My sifu has got a fire under my ass to update his web site. Seeing as I am the admin for 3 web sites, my day job/night job and training, this is gonna be a doozy.

My sifu is Lay Dai Wei or Sifu Dave Lacey. If I don't screw up the formatting or FTP process, it should be up today.

k

Blog Entries

nospam

Hi nospam, very nice site. Quite informative. I really like sites like yours and the Ng Family's where it is all about disseminating the CLF curriculum in explicit detail. Great resource to point to when answering some peoples' questions.

Look forward to the updates.

The 10 Elements of Choy Lay Fut:
    Kum, Na, Gwa, Sau, Chop, Pow, Kup, Biu, Ding, Jong

The 13 Principles of Taijiquan:
    Ward Off, Roll Back, Press, Push, Pluck, Elbow, Shoulder, Split, Forward, Back, Left, Right, Central Equilibrium

And it doesn't hurt to practice stuff from:
    Mounts, Guards, and Side Mounts!

Austin Kung-Fu Academy

nospam,

"Bak Hsing Fut Gar is a sister-style of Hung Hsing Choy Lee Fut. It is more commonly known as Bak Hsing Choy Lee Fut. The founder of Bak Hsing Fut Gar modified and advanced various concepts within Choy Lee Fut, changing the way in which they were performed. Through continuous study and dauntless trial by fire, a dynamic and yet practical fighting method emerged."

Q1. Who is the founder of Bak Hsing Fut Gar?

Q2. Did he modified and advanced various concepts with Hung Hsing Choy Lee Fut or within Bak Hsing Choy Lee Fut?

Q3. What are these concepts that got modified and advanced, so much so that is no longer warranted to be called Choy Lee Fut? To many people, it is a serious matter to disown your family name unless there is a reason. What is wrong with the name Bak Hsing Choy Lee Fut in the first place? Why drop the name Choy Lee Fut if you are to call it "the sister art of Hung Hsing Choy Lee Fut"? Don't brother and sister have the same family name? Or did she married Fut Gar and take on her husbands name?

Q4. I can undestand where the Bak Hsing came from, why the Fut Gar term? Does it stand for Fut Gar style or for the Shaolin Temple origin or for Buddhist philosophy in general? By replacing Choy Lee Fut with Fut Gar does it mean it is no longer Choy Lee Fut and it is now a Fut Gar style? Or are you saying Fut Gar and Choy Lee Fut are the same thing?

Q5. What kind of dauntless trial by fire did this style went through to become a dynamic and yet practical fighting method? Are you implying at the same time that the other "sister art" within the CLF family is less dynamic and practical?

Just curious, no offence is intented. I am only trying to understand the thinking process behind some of the changes made. The branches of Choy Lee Fut are getting furhter and further away from its roots, I often wonder at what point did the branches dropped off and no longer be called Choy Lee Fut.

JosephX

k-no
    I can't find the article

nospam
    nice layout - simple and quick to load, yet effective

extrajoseph
    good questions.

article

Hey guys.

I haven't yet uploaded the article. I was too busy getting laid off yesterday (for non US residents, that means I lost my job).
    Anyhow, it will be up shortly, perhaps tonight.

k

Q1. Who is the founder of Bak Hsing Fut Gar?

Tam Sam - Bak Hsing CLF

Q2. Did he modified and advanced various concepts with Hung Hsing Choy Lee Fut or within Bak Hsing Choy Lee Fut?

Hong Hsing CLF, then refined these concepts.

I find it interesting that there is even a 'Bak Hsing branch of CLF. But there is. And there is for many reasons. There is history and circumstance that altered the course of Tam Sam's kung fu. The concepts differ. Do they differ enough to warrant a new 'style'? I guess it is like sibling rivalry, we share the same 'parents' but there are distinct differences or individuality.

I do not mind talking about my style, matter of fact I am quite fond of talking about it. But if you want more 'history', then I would direct you to my webpage. That is our history. If you want to talk philosophy and technque, then ask away.

The webpage goes into it a bit. The philosophy is different. More than likely due to a reduced curriculum and greater emphasis on fighting. Plus the progressive thinking of Tam Sam. His test of gung fu was to fight. So he fought. He would also sit afterwards with the people he fought and talk gung fu. He changed much.

There is nothing "wrong" with adding CLF. It was a decision made 2 generations back. I still use the C&L on occasion so pleople have a basic idea.

Q4. I can undestand where the Bak Hsing came from, why the Fut Gar term? Does it stand for Fut Gar style or for the Shaolin Temple origin or for Buddhist philosophy in general? By replacing Choy Lee Fut with Fut Gar does it mean it is no longer Choy Lee Fut and it is now a Fut Gar style? Or are you saying Fut Gar and Choy Lee Fut are the same thing?

Fut because of gung fu's buddhist roots, and Gar means family or style, so Bak Hsing Buddhist Style.

Q5. What kind of dauntless trial by fire did this style went through to become a dynamic and yet practical fighting method? Are you implying at the same time that the other "sister art" within the CLF family is less dynamic and practical?

I would imagine this question can go unanswered at this stage. I realise the history and stories differ from lineage and generation. The history is what has been passed down from my lineage. It was my sigung's (Leung Lap Yau) decision to change the name from Bak Hsing Choy Lee Fut Gar (gar is used or not) to Bak Hsing Fut Gar - again, this info and the reasons can be found on my webpage.

I do not know if the powers that were (at the time) in Hong Kong had a problem with my sigung's name change. Although he had a tendency to shake the establishment. For information purposes I included our lineage's history. What is more important is the gung fu that had been and is today.

We are the only people who refer to our style as Bak Hsing Fut Gar. Everyone else goes by the standard.

nospam.
    Last edited by nospam; 03-30-2002 at 10:10 PM.

Thumbs up The new article...

I'm not finished with uploading the pretty pictures that accompany this article, but you I have uploaded the photo-less sneak preview. Please check it out here: NEW ARTICLE

Nospam, sorry I ended up hi-jacking your thread!

k

k-no

Great article!!

BTW Sorry to hear you lost your job. Good luck finding another one.

k-no,

No problem whatsoever!

A very interesting article. It carries a lot of weight.

It sure goes against the grain of my lineage's history and outlook.

I'd like to meet up with my fellow CLF practitioners to talk and train some day.

nospam.

looks good nospam!

gotta love broadband!

cheers
    peace
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Excellent website nospam!
    I especially enjoyed the Body Kung article. Made alot of sense and I felt it put things into words that are difficult to do while maintaining the serious quality.
    Did you write the article?
    If you did it's written very well.
    Train hard, live long and prosper.

k-no

Really good article.
    Hope you find your self a job soon, I'm in the same boat as you at the moment.
    "Ira furor brevis est !"
    ====================;;;;<>
    I didn't want fries with that or even soda doesn't any one in this dam country ever listen.