Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: My webpage

tri2bmt,

I realise the website is heavy with text, but it is not about me or my classmates or my teacher or even his teacher..etc. There is history for the sake of a little background, but the jist of hte site is to inform the masses about how and why we do what we do.

It is about Kung Fu, not people who do kung fu.

Yes. I wrote everything on the site, besides the interviews with my teacher and the article about Founder, Tam Sam. The Tam Sam bio was also written by me as told by my lineage.

I am just about ready to upload some avi and new pix under the Kwoon. These pix and bites are footage of our training sessions. They are not glam or PR footage. They represent real learning and provides a glimpse into 'seeing' what and a little bit of how we do kung fu.

I appreciate the comments.

nospam.

nospam

The reason I haven't give you the info on our Yat Moon Kuen form is that I have also been working on putting some video clips togeter of training sessions at my sifu's school for his website.
    "Ira furor brevis est !"
    ====================;;;;<>
    I didn't want fries with that or even soda doesn't any one in this dam country ever listen.

alecM,

I appreciate you getting back to me on this. I believe I have footage of our Yat Mun Ch'uan - first pattern. I'll see what I have and post it on my website.

I have just added some vid on Gai Bun Ch'uan - intermediate pattern.

Thanks.

nospam.

Hello K-no:

About history I finally realized that everyone will believe their one versions and any discussions about only will finnish in noend discussions. So is better to keep our believes, spread to the followers and be open to the others. I agree with the master Vince Lacey article in these matter.
    About Chan family denied Cheung Yim in King Mui, it isn't totally correct, I can tell it because I translate to my language a document where is said that Zhan Yan was of the Tang Xi village in the Xin Hui county, very near to King Mui, so he was there.
    I hope that in the end Choy Lee Fut, any branch, spread in all over the world.

Good Luck with your job.
    Last edited by JAZA; 03-31-2002 at 06:52 PM.

Actually the Chan Family has placed a Memorial Stone Tablet in King Mui of the History of CLF & it does include Cheung Yim (Zhang Yan). It says, after Chan Heung accepted Cheung Yim from Tang Xi Village in King Mui County as his disciple in Hong Kong, he sent Cheung to Singapore, Hong Kong, & then to Fo Shan (Fut Shan).

I don't hear much of Chan Heung's eldest disciple Loong Gee-Choi, is there any of his branches in America or around the world?
    "The Dragon and the Tiger met in Heaven, to revive our Shaolin ways"

k-no

I read your Sifu Dave Lacey's article with great interest. Could you or your Sifu clarify Cheung Yim's birthday for us? The article says:

"1836 - THE YEAR CHOY LAY FUT TOOK ROOT

It is interesting to note that it was ONLY after Cheung Yim (Cheung Hung Sing) had returned to King Mui village (Chan Village) in 1836 with the martial arts skills he acquired from the Shaolin monk Ng Ging Jung, known by the alias "Ching Cho Wor Seung" (Green Grass Monk) that Choy Lay Fut began to take root."

The Futshan Hung Sing Gwoon 150 anniversary Celebration Journal published last year said Cheung Yim was born in 1824.
    The Chui Cheung Chinese Martial Art Gynasium Alumi Association Journal published the year before also said the same. So in 1839, Cheung Yim would have been 12 years old, unless the birth year given by these two authorities was wrong.

Do you or your sifu know for sure when and where was Cheung Yim born and when and where and how did he died? There are so many different versions and it seems the first thing we need to do is to establish clearly is his birth and death. Having just came back from China, I am sure his village will still be around and his grave would be somewhere to be found.

Choy Lee Fut history is only 160 yeards old and I am sure it can be checked and varified so we don't have to keep throwing mud at each other.

With respect and in good faith,

JosephX

I wanted to ask this question too, about the date of Cheung Yim's birth? I've heard that there's not much info on his death but there must be info on when he was born, as Joseph said it was only 160 years ago. Also it is interesting that the Futshan Hung Sing Branch published the birth being in 1824, the Futshan Hung Sing Gwoon must have at least recorded their founder's birthday.

I mean no disrespect to the Cheung Yim lineage, at the end of the day we all are CLF.
    "The Dragon and the Tiger met in Heaven, to revive our Shaolin ways"

k-no

Another confusion about dates I have is the founding of the Futsan Hung Sing Gwoon. We just had a 150 years anniversary celebration and the general concensus in Futsan and Hong Kong was that it was founded in 1851, yet your Sifu Dave Lacey said in his article:

"In 1839 Cheung Hung Sing founded the first "Hung Sing Gwoon" martial arts school in Futsan."

Can you clarify this discrepancy for us? Please do not under any circumstances think that I am trying to stir up trouble for the CLF branches, I am talking about dates here and not personality.

Thanking you in advance.

JosephX

nospam,

Thanks for answering my questions, so now we have a branch of a branch of Bak Hsing, this time without the reference to CLF. However, I presume you still considered yourself a CLF man, so we are still "tong moon hing dye" as Sifu Dave Lacey puts it, bad "social etiqette" or not.

JosephX

extrajoseph,

The name was changed 2 generations ago. Perhaps things have changed since the name was change, but I am a practitioner of the style under that name. It is explained to me that there is significant difference, moreso than just adding new or changing old punches. Again, was it to a point where a new style was developed or that it removed itself from the realm of Choy Lee Fut philosophy? I guess at least one person thought so.

But, yes...I often use Choy & Lee when explaining the style. Do I consider myself a Choy Lee Fut practitioner? We do not disregard our past, but opine that Choy Lee Fut Gar and Bak Hsing Fut Gar are two very different styles that share a common heritage and through association of that heritage is more easily identifiable to the Chinese martial art establishment/community. I am a product of my environment...hahaha.

nospam.

nospam,

Yes, I guess we are all products of our environment, that is why we now have MacDonald instead of hamburgers, KFC instead of fried chickens, Nike instead of shoes and Starbuck instead of coffee shops, etc.

Everything rests with a brand name, even our heritage. To be an individual is to have a name that sets us apart.

You said "hahaha", but I don't find all this funny, I find it sad but has to accept the fact that the fragmentation of our society is a sign of our time.

At least I know the next time you use the term Choy Lee Fut, you are using it for identification purpose only, you are in fact doing something very different.

JosephX

Yeah - different strokes for different folks.

I think too many people get bent out of shape just cause someone says or does something out of the norm. Look at Temple Kung Fu, for instance. But ya know what? They're still around. What I think about them hasn't had an impact, besides wanting to hurl my two-all-beef-patties-special sauce-lettuce-pickle-unions all on a sesame seed bun, whenever I see their commercial!

nospam.

When I see CLF in films, or books I recognise everything from my training in the choy lay fut buck sing gwoon in Melbourne (Sifu Dave Lacey). Having said that there are a few things that we were taught that I have not seen at all. But there is not enough difference to call it a completely different system. I find the term Buck Sing Gwoon (taking gwoon to mean school) an adequate description - just a different school of the same system.

nospam,

So what we think don't matter, what matters is commercial success.

Yeah - different strokes for different folks.

JosephX

extrajoseph,

I'd imagine what matters is definable by the individual alone.

anton,

I hear ya. I say tomato, you say tomatoe...but they're both a vegetable..or is that a fruit?

nospam.