Thread: What exactly is the head of a muscle?

Question What exactly is the head of a muscle?

Its not getting answered in my other thread, so on a whim, and in sheer desperation and needing an answer, i'm creating this thread?

So what the hell is a muscle head?
    Abs are one muscle.
    Bicep have two heads...
    Tricep have three.....

So what the hell is a head?
    -I hate mankind, for I think myself one of the best of them, and I know how bad I am.

-The greatest pleasure in life is doing what people say you cannot do

It is: "the end of a muscle which is attached to the less movable part of the skeleton."
    That's what Melloni's Illustrated Medical Dictionary had to say.

I checked a diagnostic med. book I have around here, which kind of explains it more, without using the word "head."
    "Skeletal muscles are attached to bone directly or indirectly by fibrous cords known as tendons. The least movable end of the muscle attachment (generally proximal) is called the point of origin; the most movable end (generally distal) is the point of insertion."

It would seem to me that the "head" refers to the least movable end of the muscle attachment, or point of origin. Biceps have two such attachments and Triceps three. If I had a Gray's Anatomy around here now, I might be able to figure this out better, cause it's not something I've considered before.

note: distal. Furthest from the center, from the medial line, or from the trunk. Opposed to proximal, which is nearest the point of attachment, center of the body, or point of reference.

hope this helps,

Cody

and quadriceps have four