Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Pak Mei Video Program

Pak Mei Video Program

What the world needs is a complete and concise, comprehensive video program on authentic pak-mei kung fu for those who don't have access to this art. I think the whole of the CMA community would benefit greatly.

Of course I also think the world needs topless car-hops and instant lasagna, so go figure.

Remember, I like eggs. :D

tnwingtsun Guest
    If you have never studied under a skilled Bai Mei Sifu,why bother?,as I have said before,you'd only be wasting your time,and then every fruit bat and con men would get ahold of these tapes and the system would end up like another TKD fastfood MAs,watered down without substance.

wingtsun

Tell that to Andy Troung, he DOES have a pak mei video correspondence program available (from what his site says) and everyone I talk to says he is the shiat man.
    Besides, why worry about losing the quality of your art when those who aren't truly dedicated couldn't learn it anyway, and it doesn't affect your training with your sifu in the least no matter how ****ty everyone else's pak mei might end-up.
    Your point of view is too much "old master monk secret style" thinking that actually ends-up killing-off most good arts through secrecy and unwillingness to share knowledge.
    Reply however you like here. My opinion is unwaivering and it matters little to me what you might have to say on this topic.
    Flame away man.

frosh2786 Guest
    whats this guys site for his video program? idl ike to check that out.

tnwingtsun Guest

Bagwaboxer

Where do you live?,the reason I ask is are you sooo far away that you cannot find a Bai Mei sifu?
    If you are then check into a plane ticket and go to a Sifu and get your roots,what I'm trying to say that it is better to have a solid foundation.
    You will not get what you need from videos(see the word need)unless you have face to face training.I understand your longing to see a program like this,I some what agree,before you get your feathers ruffled again a word of advice,you'll be better if you have a teacher that
    you can study with,mine happens to be a 20 min. drive away,I got lucky,tapes are ok,but don't try to run before ya learn how to crawl.
    I wish ya luck :p
    Don't hate me cuz ya ain't me :)

MoQ Guest
    There are many people making claims based on BS and this WILL happen to Bak Mei.

MoQ

I recieved a reply from Sifu Troung and he does offer a complete correspondence course covering Pak Mei to instructor level.
    Tell Mr Troung he's destroying the art. Ofcourse, I would imagine your skills and experience in Pak Mei far outweigh his, right? ;)

tnwingtsun Guest

BagwaBoxer

You are still missing my point,I am sure that Troung's Bai Mei is good,THERE IS NO SUBSTUTE FOR HANDS ON TRAINING!!.PEROID!!!!,do you want to be good??,I'm trying to help you out but you tell me "to flame off",you can study those tapes 5 hours a day for 10 years,you cross hands with a first year student from my class and you're going to get hurt,end of story,if you're not hitting or getting hit or crossing hands how will you ever know?
    His tapes may be great!!!
    But I would suggest going to study under him,
    But what would I know,I just got through with a 5 hour workout with a skilled Bai Mei Sifu,I got banged up and I did some banging myself,
    you'll never get that from a tape,I tried to help you but you misunderstood me.No I don't think in terms of the secret monk thing,I'd like to help ya,thats why I asked you where you lived,maybe theres a Bai Mei Sifu close to you that you don't know about that I do,if there is I'll hook ya up.And speaking of eggs,always remember........
    Ya got to crack some eggs to make an omlet
    other wise you're just watching a movie.
    Once again,I wish ya luck
    PS,you're welcome at my school anytime
    PEACE

MoQ Guest
    I was making a general statement and yes if the more subtle arts are traded for cash from the likes of you the arts are lost. Why don't you go walk in circles and stop causing trouble...

MoQ

Tell it to Troung brother, tell it to Troung.

How about I walk circles around you? FYI, I have been involved in the CMA for almost 15 years man, and all I ever hear from you on this or any board is holier-than-thou I-am-so-great-everyone-else-is-stupid bull****. Are you sure you're not Ego Maximus?

Either way, I would safely say that Pak Mei is in far greater danger of being reduced to nothing through personal instruction with you than by video-correspondence with me. No amount of hands-on training could do anything for your obviosuly over-inflated ego. It is your type that will destroy the art.

To wingtsun...my bad. Perhaps I took your comments too harshly, but i'm so used to morons like MoQ and some others on here that it came across slightly flamed.
    I agree, personal instruction is always the chosen method, however, there is no Pak Mei even remotely close to where I live. again, I've been involved in the CMA for almost 15 years however, and have researched Pak Mei and even briefly touched hands with a Pak Mei practitioner a few years back. I am confident that with my experience and Troung's teaching I will be just fine. I am no beginner by any stretch of the imagination, and my experience goes beyond just bagwazhang. At any rate, your point is well-taken.

MoQ...2 words...frontal labotomy.

Waidan Guest
    Did one of MoQ's posts get deleted, or is BB freaking out for no particular reason?

I suppose video correspondance is better than NOTHING, but not by much. You'd probably be better off studying Stripmall-Fu locally than Bak Mei by mail.

Edit: I just realized that last paragraph looked like it was targeting BB. I actually meant "you" in the general sense.

daniel boerma Guest

ShaolinMaster, BagwaBoxer, Tnwingtsun, Frosh2786, MoQ, Waidan

I am one of Sifu Andy Truong's senior Pak Mei students.

My Sifu’s committed to teaching Pak Mei in all of its entirety so that the fighting power & wisdom of Pak Mei is passed on to future generations. If you need further assurances, ask Fiercest Tiger, Biu Ji or Lungyuil.

I believe the Pak Mei style would actually benefit through the availability of forms on video tape - anything which gives potential students an insight into the style will help to spread the art.

Someone who is interested in PM but cannot get to a school can still pick up some of the PM fighting wisdom through the tapes. If they learnt from a tape & then sought out a Pak Mei school their familiarity with the style & techniques would speed their progress.

I am sure other PM schools would appreciate to see authentic PM forms demonstrated by someone of Sifu Andy’s calibre. Why not open up the style? Let’s see what each has & compare the inherent differences within different PM lineages. I have seen much *****ing on the forum about what is & what isn’t PM, I’d prefer to see what other PM lineages have in their repertoire.

I agree, this is no substitute for learning Pak Mei from a qualified Sifu. I am not too sure of the content my Sifu’s correspondence course, but I am sure he would either require a corresponding student to either come over for examinations &/or they would be only recognised as instructors who have learnt via correspondence. Potential students of a qualified correspondence instructor can make what they will of his/her qualifications – they’re not being mislead.

Some of you may be screaming, “what about the style!! People are bound to copy!! What is to stop anyone from claiming they know or can teach Pak Mei??”

What is important is not what forms you know but who you learnt them from – ie. your lineage.

I propose we move away from assessing a martial artist on the forms they know to assessing them on who taught them & what forms did they learn under this Sifu.

Why?

Many martial artists copy forms from video tapes or from books to fill out their syllabuses, or to inflate their egos (this has brought to mind a question I’d like answered - ShaolinMaster, what is your Pak Mei lineage?) but how can we stop them?

Many students may have learnt under a qualified Sifu but that does not mean they are recognised under the lineage. I think many kung fu instructors may have learnt for a few years, they then start their own style without being qualified as a representative of the style by their lineage. They may not have the full syllabus so they copy from books & videos. We can’t stop this, but we can ask “are you recognised as a representative of your style? Are you acknowledged as having a place in your lineage?”

How many Sifu’s can claim this? If they are accreditted by their lineage, these are the people we should listen to, they have the final say.

One last comment. It’s not the techniques, nor the forms that make Pak Mei powerful. True, the techniques are very effective, but what sets Pak Mei apart from other styles is its essence, its expression, its principles.

Clik on the URL below for Sifu Andy Truong's website.

http://www.firstlink.com.au/wahnam/index.htm

Peace

MoQ Guest
    Thankyou for the clearheadedness uncharacteristic of the Forum, but you have reiterated all of my concerns.

Sifu Truong is a highly respected teacher and nothing I've said was certainly not directed at him. Of course, the problem MAY be the fantasy that those "interested" are of a caliber worthy of training.

My experience has shown that people from- I COULD say especially Australia- have a very limited perspective on the LIES that some people are willing to spew in order to "get" something they can turn over for attention and $$ later.

Bak Mei shifus are the ones to make the decision, but its sad to see every dammm thing turned into a cash price as if thats any measure of something's value...

OBVIOUSLY, it's different on Oz, but in America, virtually everyone trying to make a buck off their CMA has padded their claims with dishonesty... all in the NAME of each individual's NEED and RIGHT to pretend to BE SOMEBODY... WATCH YER STEP.

It is impossible to prosecute phony shi fus in the US even if the teacher/lineage claimed is handy. It happens all the time and i can tell that getting videos from across the world sounds DELICIOUS to these peeps.

It's the "Cast NOT your Pearls before Swine" principle here people and if you don't know what this means, you WILL...

What we need to do...

Let's all just reside to letting MoQ decide who is worthy and who is not worthy to inherit the various styles. Since he is obviously of the "highest moral character" (cough), and is so sure that most everyone else is a moron with no experience or judgement at all, I propose everyone be sure and check with him prior to learning anything, and then he in turn can make an assesment and decision as to whether or not you may proceed.

Remember, most all of us besides himself are swine who shouldn't be turned loose with anything of value. Of course he himself is deserving of it all.

MoQ, you are so gifted man, I only hope that one day I will be worthy to sit at your feet and feed from your falling crumbs.

lungyuil Guest
    Moq,
    I agree with you there are many out there who could not punch their way out of a bag & yet have all these videos out & giving black belts in two years.

However, why not give out real information to benefit those who can only learn by correspondence or do not want to leave their sifu & show disrespect by training under another sifu.

I also agree that videos do not take the place of a qualified sifu, but some may not have that luxury yet. When they can, seek out a sifu in the respectice style and refine their forms learnt.

Sifu Andy Troung has the real thing and many will benefit from learning from him.

Don't be so judgemental, not everyone is like Lacy.
    :)