Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Pak Mei Video Program

billy_pilgrim Guest
    <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>
    What the world needs is a complete and concise, comprehensive video program on authentic pak-mei kung fu for those who don't have access to this art. I think the whole of the CMA community would benefit greatly
    [/quote]

What you actually mean is that you would benefit greatly, which may or may not be true, don't pretend to have any altruistic aims here.
    NO ONE with a traditional system's best interests in mind would suggest that the art should become a commodity exchanged in a faceless transaction.
    Not saying that is what Truong has in mind, or that such a thing will ever occur, but the notion that anyone with a valid checking account can gain access to authentic Bak Mei is downright scary.
    I did check out Truong's site, and he certainly seems like a legitimate traditional Sifu (Bagwa, you may want to check out his code of conduct section for students), so I am somewhat confident in his ability to judge character and keep those who need to be at a very safe distance, so, good luck in your training Bagwa!

billy_pilgrim Guest
    Ngor Mei,
    In a perfect world I would agree with you. Lineage should be the barometer, but in America, almost no one cares. No one cares where the info comes from or how they get it, just as long as they get it. It's all about them. These are the kind of people I'm concerned about.
    Keep reading these forums if you don't believe me. Hell, keep reading this thread...

fiercest tiger Guest

hi guys

i do understand everybodys opinions, cause i have a Yau Kung Mun correspondance courses myself. its hard to say what the person is like and hard to judge someone. but this person that you may knock back could be a genuine person that does want to learn the system and the most important thing he could be your friend for life!!!

billy is right about meeting face to face, i talk with my students every day either by email, phone or msn messenger.

if andy sifu's correspondance course is full of good info and teaches students by sections etc. it can work!! he just needs to keep an eye on the students and run his business the right way so there can be no stuff ups where people can just take the knowledge and run.

andy sifu is after serious students, as am i, not people that will *******ize his bak mei or wah nam system. i know him personally and he does scan students and holds back if they are not in good character. he has to keep control over what he is giving out in his course.

ngor mei,
    hows things? hope all is well with you! :D

peace

bakmeimonk@hotmail.com

fiercest tiger Guest

Not all you yanks are bad!!

i have phoned a couple of people from kfo and had a good chat about kung fu, and have mad some good friends from kfo- then again ive made some enimies as well.......we cant please them all!

i hear you bro! :cool:

peace

bakmeimonk@hotmail.com

Kevin Barkman Guest

Pride

I'm just wondering...I don't hear many critisisms (sp?) out there about Sifu Yip Wing Hong (Dragon) and Sifu Kwong Man Fong (Bak Mei) for their efforts to promote the Arts....

I personally applaud their efforts - I have learned a tremendous deal about my Art through magazine articles, books, videotapes, and especially this forum. Whats wrong with that? Why shouldn't we be proud of our Arts and promote them as best we can? Why hide all our "secrets" under rocks - and BTW, what are all these "secrets" anyway?

You want to learn to kill someone? Buy a gun, take a kickboxing class - you'll learn a WHOLE lot faster!

I have never learned a form from a videotape - I respect my teachers and my Art too much for that. That doesn't mean I haven't greatly benefited from others sharing their knowledge.

The real secrets will ALWAYS be hidden - tucked safely away under the blankets called hard work, loyalty and an open mind.

Just my "two cents" - continue your good work, Sifu Truong!

Billy

Sifu Troung has already agreed to accept me as a correspondence student, and has furthermore invited me to visit his school, and extended an invitation to join his school as an active student via his correspondence program. We have shared numerous emails to which after evaluating my history and experience he has made the decision to accept me.
    Gee Billy, I think someone's getting a bit hot under the white collar. Perhaps you should apply as well; perhaps you may learn something.

Say what you will, I couldn't care less. It is obvious that you are on the same level as MoQ and like him, if it were left up to you these arts would die off in your greedy, self-serving hands.

When I said this program would benefit the whole CMA community, I meant it, I did not mean myself alone. It is too bad that you are too narrow-minded and self-serving to see that.

Anyone with more than a brain-stem to work with can clearly see how this type of program can only serve to insure that the art of Pak Mei remains alive and out of the self-serving hands of morons like yourself exclusively.

Sounds to me like someone's afraid their precious art might be made available to more than their close-nit, self-approved group.

How truly sad for all of us.

Thank God for people like Sifu Troung. He is a man among men here. I think all of us should be eternally grateful that these arts are not left solely in the self-serving hands of people like yourself.

Flame away moron. I think your agenda is obvious to all, and your position painfully clear.

Remember, I like eggs. :D

MoQ Guest
    Oh you're right, you're quite a guy and Truong is a lucky man. I must commend you on your heartfelt altruism, my agenda does seem selfserving in comparison...

MoQ

Glad to see you can at least nod at admitting the truth concerning your tight-ass approach to keeping the art "pure".

Perhaps eventually with some therapy, there may be a slight amount of hope for you.

Although I seriously doubt it.

Remember, I like eggs. :D

billy_pilgrim Guest
    In the west, there is a belief that simply because someone wants to learn something, they should. This is clearly not always the case, and Bagwa has thusfar been very kind to demonstrate this point for me. Thanks Bagwa!

BTW, just wondering if you showed Truong this thread, or perhaps the one you started in the Shaolin forum?

Ngor Mei, maybe you'd like to direct your Sifu to this discussion, perhaps he'd like to rethink a few things...

fiercest tiger Guest

bagwa boxer

its good that you are accepted but dont ruin it by posting like this!

:)

peace

bakmeimonk@hotmail.com

billy_pilgrim Guest
    Kevin & others,
    I hear you, this isn't exactly an "either or" proposition. I don't think anyone is trying to tell Sifu Truong what he should or shouldn't do, nor is anyone suggesting that teachers can never put material on tape to give to students. People are just raising legitimate concerns about who should or should not be trusted with said material. And how exactly does one go about deciding the sincerity of someone from a few emails and an occassional phone call? I submit that it's very difficult and fraught with peril. But I'm sure he's a better judge of character than myself, so, like I said, my fears are allayed somewhat.

fiercest tiger Guest

kevin

nice post, i blieve that we should give knowledge out, people like cloud one and sui fuw have problems with this. i said exactly the same thing about man kwong fong and wing lam, these guys have put tapes out why havent they complained to these masters. gealousy can be bugger! but something is better than nothing...even if its by video.

peace

bakmeimonk@hotmail.com

billy_pilgrim Guest
    FT,
    You think these posts are bad? Check the archives, Bagwa is being modest and affable here...

tnwingtsun Guest

Fellow Bai Mei Brothers

I agree with most of ya'll and disagree with most of ya'll(southeast USA talk,lol),most important,I've made some good friends on this forum.Friends that started out as enemys.
    At first I was against the video issue,my concern
    was that our system was/is in danger of being
    watered down.
    If you learn from video's and do good
    cheers to ya.
    If ya don't do good,oh well.......
    There's the brotherhood of Bai Mei/Bak Mei/Pak Mei/YKM gate keepers that will keep this
    precious art alive.
    Enough bickering,lets get together and keep this alive,for the next generations
    Excuse my spelling,its been a long day.

billy_pilgrim Guest
    TN is right about the gate keepers, Bak Mei is not on any endangered systems list, the art is very much alive, and has been kept so by the hard work and sacrifice of those who love it, not by technology.
    I guess I'm just shocked that any system with roots in antiquity has survived this long...I mean, how did Bak Mei and Lung Ying and Hung Ga and all these other fine systems make it to the present day without the entire curriculum being video taped?? I guess these past GM's and Sifu's who neglected to sell their art to anyone with a pocketfull of gold were just being "self-serving" :rolleyes:
    Thank God for present day Americans and their clear thinking magnanimous ways, showing us all the folly and selfishness of the great masters of old.