Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Pak Mei Video Program

to Billy...

Not only did Sifu Troung accept me, he also went on to say that learning by his videos is the same as being taught by him in person, and that they will be completely different from others' videos. He has made it abunduntly clear, that once I begin the program I will be considered an active student of his, and furthermore that when I complete the program I will be given full teaching rights to represent the system. If you've got a problem with that, then contact him directly. I guess you just like playing kung-fu police, where you patrol and report all infractions and set the standard for kung-fu excellence, judging who and who shall not be accepted. Well, brother, it ain't your call. So Sorry.

FT, I have not been the one flaming here, just defending our right to study what we wish. Perhaps you should turn your thoughts to billy and MoQ. They seem to think they hold the key to the gate of Pak Mei. Remember, it was Billy who accused me of having no concern for anyone but myself. Re-read this string my friend.

Billy, report whatever you like to whomever you like by whatever means you like. It's all simply acting out of jealousy due to the fact that I might actually inherit something that you had to go to the trouble of getting in person. Green does not suit you well.

It matters little to me from anyone's standpoint or opinion.

Billy, why don't you apply for position of moderator on all of the active forums here. Then you could fullfill your Barney-Fife post-patrol fantasy.

Say whatever you like, I'm inheriting your system, and that's the truth here.

Remember, I like eggs. :D

fiercest tiger Guest

bagwa boxer

ok! im not against you, im for your right as well.

goodluck in your training

peace

bakmeimonk@hotmail.com

billy_pilgrim Guest
    No, you're not the one flaming, you are just calling everyone who has raised legitimate concerns and asked legitimate questions "morons", but, like I said, judging from some of your previous "work" on these forums, you really aren't flaming here, usually you are much worse than this.
    Before you, yet again, accuse me of being a moralist or being pious, please note, I actually think very little of myself, I just happen to think even less of you...
    Your puerile reactions to everyone who has questioned this are on the order of a child fearing his favorite toy is about to be taken from him, when, in fact, no one least of all myself has ever said that you can't or shouldn't be allowed to embark on this endeavor if you are sincere.
    I am actually glad that Truong has agreed to take you under his wing, you are clearly in need of some direction and I think he can provide it, I just hope there is far more on those tapes than mere forms. He certainly has his work cut out for him...
    I also think it's interesting you assume I too study Bak Mei, wouldn't that make us brothers of a sort? Curious how you choose to address your training brothers, but I'm sure that's something Truong can work out with you...
    I am also wondering about the "Bagwa"...are you planning on dropping this, or will you do both at the same time? What's going on? You study with Erle in Oz also, by tape as well I assume? Have you now purchased every tape in his catalog and are now looking to add yet another complete system to your collection? Once you have all of Truong's Bak Mei, what's next on the agenda? What will you dabble in after this?
    Yes, I think it's sad that a system like Bak Mei can be relegated to nothing more than a single shelf in your extensive Kung Fu vault, but, as you have previously pointed out, it's not my call...
    I think it's great that Truong has authorized you to teach, and I am sure that you will no doubt look to profit off the art in whatever way you can. But, again, what about the Bagwa??? Setting up shop in a strip mall and teaching Bagwa AND Bak Mei, with nothing more than a tenuous video attachment to either??? God bless America...

billy_pilgrim Guest
    Oh, and I AM curious, DID you happen to mention to Truong that you post on this forum and does he know your handle? I asked these questions previously and you ignored them, they weren't rhetorical if you were confused.
    You needn't worry about me reporting anything, I am certain that you were sweet as sugar in all of your emails with Truong. Did you completely avoid using the phrase "pig f*cker"? That must have been difficult for you...

GreyMystik Guest
    if someone learns by video and is a competent practitioner and their gungfu is good, does that make them less of a gungfu man? does that make their art any less useful or 'complete'?

TAO YIN Guest
    If someone can advance their kung fu knowledge through video that's great. Practice is practice.
    :)

billy_pilgrim Guest

Of course

You guys are right. Whatever benefits the individual practicioner is all that matters. If there is the possibilty the art could be cheapened or harmed, however remote, so what, as long as the individual can learn Bak Mei without getting off the couch, that's all that matters. My priorities are clearly way off here, you'll have to forgive me...

billy_pilgrim Guest
    Haven't we learned anything from Karate???
    Everyone decries the gross commercialization and "watering down" that has plagued the Japanese systems, the so-called "McDojos" ever present in the west. But when it's something really cool that they want, like Bak Mei, they're all willing to abandon the established protocol and jump on the corporate bandwagon simply so that they can get their hands on some. I'm merely asking some questions and advising a little caution, that's all, but do whatever you want...the traditions are almost dead in the west anyway.

Bastet Guest
    i agree with billy - caution is the key...

if it is done properly with the right people, then it can work. the videos cannot be mass produced. it must be treated the same as if this person was training in the kwoon. the teacher needs to get to know the student, anything of value will only be given to those students that show dedication and loyalty to both sifu & system.

it is inevitable that in the future there will be videos of every form of every style available... there is nothing we can do about it - it is just the way the world is heading. isnt it better that there is legitimate courses from respected sifus available amongst all the trash?

you have to remember that even in a face to face school situation, people can still leave & use whatever they have learnt in any way they want.

oh, and ditto on billys comments on bagwaboxer...

blessed be,
    a.

CLOUD ONE Guest

Curiosity

To all those who learn off video.
    Is this a two way thing?
    What I mean is does the students return a video of themselves doing these forms, techniques, two- man practice?

If they don't, how does the Sifu know what is to be taught to them next?

If you teach Jik Bo as your first form (as an example) what is the use of teaching the next form
    if the students can't do TTFC and there body posture isn't there, they have no GING, these are but a few of things to mention.
    Please enlighten us how you can tell????

billy_pilgrim Guest
    Bastet,
    Everything I was trying(and failing) to say in my many rambling diatribes all in one concise post. A big "thank you" and hoping you post more often, or I less, either one...
    As most know, traditional Sifu's have almost always been willing to work with those who express a sincere desire to learn, regardless of the distance that separates them, whether this means seminars or workshops or videos. So, I have no problem with the medium, I guess I just don't like the fact that it's advertised. As I said, most are willing to work with you privately on an individual basis, tailoring something to suit you specifically, but once I see the advertising I have horrific visions of a warehouse filled with teamsters stuffing "jik bo" into an envelope and sending off to a name in a database. I don't think this will be the case with Truong, I've heard nothing but good things about the man, but what about others with far less scruples???
    The problem with the advertising is that it's designed to draw in those who might only be curious, and not necessarily committed, or those who are merely looking to add to a collection...and this is not a good thing.

TAO YIN Guest
    WOAHHHHH!!!!!!

Forgive my earlier statement. I didnt read all earlier posts nor realize that this program runs until SIFU.

Billys right. Mass production and selling of Bai Mei, without any sort of personal exchange...THATS TERRIBLE!

BAGWA...Are you serious, or just interested in the name???

THANK YOU

daniel boerma Guest

BillyPilgrim, FT, CloudOne, BagwaBoxer

Hello to all my Bak Mei brothers!!

BagwaBoxer,
    Sifu Andy has indicated to me that if you have completed the Instructor course you would be acknowledged by Andy as a Wah Nam instructor teaching Bak Mei. This does not mean you would be recognised as a Bak Mei style representative under Andy's lineage. Sifu Andy also disagrees with your statement "videos is the same as being taught by him in person"; Sifu has stated he will do his best to ensure what he teaches in the video is complete but this does not compare to being taught in person. Pls refrain from continuing to take part in spiralling slanging-matches - check out Sifu's Creeds on his website below.

http://www.firstlink.com.au/wahnam/wahnam.htm

BillyPilgrim, CloudOne,
    Regarding BagwaBoxer, Sifu has indicated "Good can to turn bad, bad can turn to good - everyone deserves a chance".

Sifu Andy has indicated the video tapes sent to BagwaBoxer would be tailored to his level. No mass-produced tapes would be distributed. Tapes would be sent across & BagwaBoxer would he required to send tapes back to show his progress. Sifu Andy's next tape would then focus on what elements need to be improved & what is to be taught next.

Knock yourselves out!!

Hello FT!!
    Good to finally be online! God you're a ****-stirrer! When are you in town next? Been groovin lately?

Peace

fiercest tiger Guest

ngor mei

im well thanks, no havent done to much grooving. i think we are due for big night out!!! :cool:

ive been busy lots of training and teaching. speaking of hows your training going? ;)

im not a sh!t stirrer!!! i tell how i see it! :p

peace

bakmeimonk@hotmail.com

tnwingtsun Guest

Yo Billy

That traffic on 278 really sucks :D