Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question about the Triangle Choke

Question about the Triangle Choke

Was the triangle choke invented by bjj, or did it come from japan, does anyone know if it may even have come from the chinese systems?

In my opinion this technique is one of the most dangerous and effective techniqes in grappling, and i am just curious of its origins.

Triangle Choke

comes from Judo like most of BJJ techniques.

It prob. comes from earlier forms of wrestling as well.

Badger
    Justice, swift & raw. US Constitutional absolutism, a return to the American Dream based on the 10 Commandments, The Golden Rule, US Constitution & Bill of Rights, zero tolerance for bloodsuckers, criminals and evil.. Peace through superior firepower & tactical might, zero free rides, only the truly needy get jack****, Don't Tread on Me & Remember the Alamo muther****er

It's definitely in Judo.

I don't know about anything else...

It's in the Chinese Pillow Books as well
    I have no idea what WD is talking about.--Royal Dragon

GJJ comes from Judo. That why you will hear people call BJJ Brazillian Junior Judo.

Whats in GJJ and BJJ is not something new. How they train is different.

It's as old as the need to choke someone.

It was invented by the Kosen judo school.

Here's what i was told about the origin of the triangle.Put shortly, some guy was passing some dudes guard with his opponets leg over his shoulder and a arm underneath the opposite leg.This dude then decided to close his legs and the other dude was choked causing him to tap.Do I believe this?Not really, but thats what I was told.
    Would you ask your men to carry a weapon that was “theorized” to work but had never been field tested to meet the high demands of modern day special operations? Of course not! Then why should we “assume” that the stunts and routines that are taught in most unarmed combative courses will work for real? The fact of the matter is that most of these courses, regardless of their many colorful origins, offer techniques that have not been “battle tested” against aggressive, non-compliant individuals.

Triangle Choke? any one have any detailed descroption of how the techinque is carried out, but if its not effective than im not interested.

I would have liked to use it (if it sounds as visious as may be) on this guy who was snorting up drugs behind me on the train this morning. Worst train ride in the world, I used my compact mirror to see exactly what he was doing cos the sounds that were coming from him just wernt normal, and yep i was spot on, there he was doing the whole snorting process, so i closed my mirror and sighed.

Tae Li

umm, dont foget to answer my first question please.Tanks.
    The difference lies in you.

"I understand now that fear is a normal reaction of the Human Body, so why fight it? Accept being afraid, but dont let it hold you back, keep moving forward and the light will shine at the end of the tunnel"
    -Tae Li.

Go to www.bjj.org...notice the images of the guy on top trying to hit the guy on the bottom and u see the guy on bottom figure four the guy on top??? That's a triangle choke!

Effectiveness...

Why??? When u got taken down by an opponent and he's trying to pound you...u can easily snap it on him. It's a very powerful choke cause u're using your legs...in my opinion more powerful than arm chokes cause of the leg muscle usuage.
    A

Justice, swift & raw. US Constitutional absolutism, a return to the American Dream based on the 10 Commandments, The Golden Rule, US Constitution & Bill of Rights, zero tolerance for bloodsuckers, criminals and evil.. Peace through superior firepower & tactical might, zero free rides, only the truly needy get jack****, Don't Tread on Me & Remember the Alamo muther****er

Somebody tell that man to put some clothes on....

For fuc.k's sake...

Tae Li,
    I think you'll see form the pictures that it's not something you just slap on some annoying dude on the train .

It is very effective if you find yourself on the ground, however. Even if the choke doesn't lock on tight the move can cause all kinds of unpleasantness in the neck area of your victi... err opponent. From what I've seen (and felt), it also transitions very nicely to an armbar.
    "No Pain - Good."
    - neptunesfall

and shoulder locks and sweeps and collar chokes and series back to triangle and wristlocks and...

Triangle is easily one of my favorite moves.