Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The Atkins Diet - Your Opinions

The Iron Guru, Vince Gironda, used high protien/low carb diet as a pre-contest diet back in the 60's. Even back then he said to do it only for a couple of weeks.
    I quit after getting my first black belt because the school I was a part of was in the process of lowering their standards A painfully honest KC Elbows

The crap that many schools do is not the crap I was taught or train in or teach.

Dam nit... it made sense when it was running through my head.

DM

People love Iron Crotch. They can't get enough Iron Crotch. We all ride the Iron Crotch for the exposure. Gene

Find the safety flaw in the training. Rory Miller.

Unfortunately these diet book writers don't have the cajones or the intelligence to tell you that it should be a fat diet, not a protein diet. Preferably high quality dietary fat like essential fatty acids. Salmon oil, flax seed oil, primrose oil, blk current oil, borage oil, walnut oil, hazelnut oil, sweet almond oil, sesame oil, sunflower oil, pumpkin seed oil, wheat germ oil, ect.
    Last edited by guohuen; 04-04-2002 at 09:22 AM.
    " Better to be a warrior in the garden than a gardner at war."
    "Ni hao darlins!" - wujidude
    "I just believe that qi is real and good body mechanics have been masquerading as internal power for too long." - omarthefish

"Here's where the initial weight loss comes from: It takes approximately 3-4g of water to store 1g of glycogen in the muscles and liver. Deplete the stores of carbohydrates by 1kg, and you lose 3-4 kg of water... "

Sorry, i am being thick, i don't understand. See, both my brother and his bi.tch are on this diet, and i tell them to stop being fat pri.cks and stop eating and do more (some, at least) exercise and i want to be able to back up my protest with science

So, glycogen is like, broken down into glucose, (as in it's sugar/carbs, right?) So you're telling me that cos it takes (lets say) 4kg to hold 1 kg of carbs? And so if you lose that 1kg of carbs, you're gonna have lost 4kg of water, so it looks like you have lost 5kg when it's just watr you've lost? How do you lose the water?

And when you go off the diet, what exactly happens? Cheers.
    All i wanted was some RICE CAKES! Now? WE MUST BATTLE.

Originally posted by guohuen
    Unfortunately these diet book writers don't have the cajones or the intelligence to tell you that it should be a fat diet, not a protein diet. Preferably high quality dietary fat like essential fatty acids. Salmon oil, flax seed oil, primrose oil, blk current oil, borage oil, walnut oil, hazelnut oil, sweet almond oil, sesame oil, sunflower oil, pumpkin seed oil, wheat germ oil, ect.
    Actually, Atkins does recommend you take in a lot of fats, particularly the essential fatty acids.

inic: It is also recommended that you take a dietary fibre supplement like psyllium husk. I take a tablespoon every morning. I actually feel less backed up than I used to.

2 weeks now - lost 4kg in the first week, none this week Need to be a little more disciplined I think
    cxxx[]:::::::::::>
    Behold, I see my father and mother.
    I see all my dead relatives seated.
    I see my master seated in Paradise and Paradise is beautiful and green; with him are men and boy servants.
    He calls me. Take me to him.

Lost another kilo!!!!!
    I see my master seated in Paradise and Paradise is beautiful and green; with him are men and boy servants.

Been on a maintenance phase of the Adkins diet for eight years now. Your right , he does mention EFA's. I should have excluded him from my rant. Funny thing around here is most doctors are still putting most people on low fat diets while themselves and most of the nursing staff and other hospital staff use the Adkins diet. I'm still keeping my body fat at 6% because I'm towards the end of purging lead from my body. I've already succeeded with copper. I suggest you keep a supply of quick carbs like honey around for emergency in case your blood sugar gets too low. I'd also consider using herbal suppliments rather than vitamins. The EFAs will make a big difference in your energy levels. You'll find lethicin (soy) will really help your system process this fat and not upset your stomach. Congrats on your success! Keep it up, it works. I also find my energy level to be more constant. Don't binge on carbs! You'll get really sick! When you do start adding carbs back try good quality rice. I think you'll find your system will accept this.Good luck! Have Fun!
    " Better to be a warrior in the garden than a gardner at war."
    "Ni hao darlins!" - wujidude
    "I just believe that qi is real and good body mechanics have been masquerading as internal power for too long." - omarthefish

how do i find my bodyfat %? do i have to get an electronic scale thingy?
    All i wanted was some RICE CAKES! Now? WE MUST BATTLE.

guohen

Thanks. It is really encouraging to hear that it has worked for you. I seem to be surrounded by naysayers - especially my girlfriend. I intend to keep going until I lose another 5 - 7 kilos.

For a variation on the actkins diets, check out the T-dawg high protein/low carb diet for people actively training over at www.T-mag.com

Neil

Hey kids! What's new?

I've been on the go a bit lately and not in one place for long. I'm sure you all missed me terribly!

Anyway, this thread caught my eye. I had a thread or two about protein a while back. Here's some stuff I've learned recently, and it really tosses on the points most people here have made!

Allegedly, protein and carbs are digested differently. I can't remember which way around, but one is started to digest in the mouth with saliva and completed in the stomach, while the other is digested wholly in the stomach. Also, one requires an alkali disgestion, the other an acidic digestion.

Therefore, carbs and protein should never be eaten together. The digestion processes cancel each other out and you're left feeling bloated and heavy with a slow digestion.

Also, protein intake in humans these days is apparently way too high. For those of us who train hard, we need more protein, but the ideal mix (according to the Tao Of Health, Sex and Longevity, which I think was referred to by a previous poster) is 90% carbs, 1% protein and the rest in fresh, raw fruit and veges. For us that train hard, perhaps 80% carbs, 10% protein and the rest in fruit and veges would be the way to go.

Therefore, the upshot of this method is that most every meal is a vegetarian meal, cooked fast or not at all, with a lot of carbs (pasta, rice, potatoes, etc.) and no protein. Occasionally, once or twice a week, some protein should be taken in, but when it is, no carbs at all. Maybe a steak and veges, no bread, potatoes, etc.

I've been trying to match this method for a little while now and I do actually feel better for it. I just think that I need a little more protein, cos I work out so much and at quite an intense level. That's what prompted me to make my other posts asking about good sources of protein and muscle growth.

So, what think you all of that? Quite the opposite of this Atkins thing.
    "i can barely click the link. but i way why stop drinking .... i got ... moe .. fcke me ..im out of it" - GDA on Traditional vs Modern Wushu
    ---------------------------------------------
    but what if the man of steel hasta fight another man of steel only that man of steel knows kung fu? - Kristoffer
    How do you think monks/strippers got started before the internet? - Gene Ching
    Find your peace in practice. - Gene Ching

Funny you should mention that, because I have also been giving thought to the whole idea of not mixing carbs and proteins in the same meal. Even to timing when you eat your carbs and when you eat your proteins.

I have been thinking that you need carbs in the morning to kick-start your body. You also have all day to use up the energy. You slowly ease back your carb intake through the day so that by evening you have mostly proteins.

I guess I also see some sense in what Atkins says about hyperinsulinism, and will try to avoid high GI foods as much as I can.

Any thoughts on this?

BTW. Down another kilo

Huntington, NY, USA website: TenTigers.com
    -just wanted to add; the body for life is a modified atkins approach-high lean protien, low glycemic carbs, lo fat. It works. Make sure you take magnesium, and potassium supplements, and aminos, or you will be very lethargic. I also agree that psyllium shoulld be added to your diet. I tried a few brands and I have found Konsul works real well. I mix it in juice. AQlso drink plenty of water.

Post Lo Carb value?

~Large parts of the population suffer from hyperinsulinism. The problem is compounded by the excessive amounts of carbohydrates and chemicals in the american diet. Large numbers of people eat the supposedly healthy diet reccomended by the FDA and diet industry. A signficant percentage of them eat less, and healthier than a person without weight problem.
    To state that the cure for the problem is to "Eat less, exercise more" is foolish.
    ~No two physical bodies are the same. Every single person has an individual physical make up that causes them to react to different foods in different ways. Some people are allergic to strawberries, some peanuts, some avocados. But a lot of people are not. The same thing goes with diet.
    ~Some people suffer from carbohydrate addiction because their body chemistry is like that. Simple. Carbohydrate addiction basically causes the body to have wild swings in the insulin level in the blood. Often times the person will start to produce insulin when smelling or thinking about good food. If something sweet tasting (not sugary but sweet, ie. diet sodas, artificial sweeteners,) touch the taste buds to the mouth, the sensation will cause an increase in insulin to the blood system in preparation for digestion. After a while the body gets resistant to the insulin and cant process food or sugar that well. Because of the general chemistry involved. It also causes the body to not burn fat, and a myriad of other problems.
    ~If you have a constant battle with your weight and yet you try to diet all the time. If you are hungry and tired 2 or 3 hours after you eat, if you have a constant mild headache, if your blood pressure is high, or you retain water, there is a good chance that it is caused by excessive carbohydrates in the diet.
    ~My reccomendation if this is the case for you is to eat lots of protein and fibrous veggies for breakfast and lunch. Avoid starches, sugars, fruits and juices for these two meals, then have what ever you want for dinner in a 33-33-33 balance of protein, fibrous veggies, and carbohydrates. PLUS two cups of salad. What ever you want of dinner, but just keep that combination for every thing. Do NOT drink diet sodas or artificial sweeteners. Also try to avoid MSG or other glutinates in your diet at all times. IF you need to snack, (You probably wont be hungry though) eat low carb veggies like celary, green bell peppers, or kimchee, or some natural jerky without the chemical additives. Drink 6-10 glasses of water a day or more. Do this for one week and see if you can tell a difference in your energy level and other things.
    ~This is easier to handle than the atkins type diet.
    ~Last year I did do a high protein, low carb type diet and lost 38 lbs in about two and a half months. (I was 248, with a standing diet of 1800 -2400 calories a day and three hours of exercise 6 days a week! Very healthy sounding.) I kept most of it off and recently started this sort of diet. I like the results.
    ~Most people who you consider to be grossly overweight do not want to be that way, they try the diets and eat less, and many do exercise. The problem is the carbs in the diet. Plan and simple.
    ~If you want some good reading material that is very well backed up then read up on the books and studies conducted by Drs Richard and Rachael Heller, and Dr Fredric Vagnini. They have extensive research documented in their publications from hundreds of reputible sources.
    ~Something else to think about, over the past 35 years in the american diet, fat consumption, meat consumption, and raw sugar consumption have both decreased significantly. We exercise more in health clubs, eat more grains, potatoes, pastas, rice, and beans. We have more sugar substitutes and more diets. But, we are fatter, have more diabetes, more heart problems, more high blood pressure, more kidney and liver problem, and more chemical additives in our diet. Does this make sense? Does this perhaps indicate something?
    ~Hope this helps or at least makes you think.

Peace,

Sin Loi

yi beng, kan xue

Great post Leimeng. While Atkins covers a lot of that in his book, it was very informative. Given me more food for thought so to speak.

Someone stated that all persons are different, that must be taken into account. Leimeng mentioned a test that I recognize as from the "Carbohydrate Addict's Diet".. I took the test, all signs pointed to it being for me.. Whoa.. was I wrong.... did it for a month and a half or 2 months.. I was constantly ill, had very greasy skin and only lost about 4 pounds.... The only diet that has ever worked for me is low fat... avoid red meat and low on processed sugar, basically Dean Ornish style.

As for Adkins... You can't tell me it's healthy to eat eggs and sausage for breakfast everyday... I can't verify this but I was told by someone I trust (who has worked in fitness, can't use the name for legal reasons) that the same diet Atkins pushes was also in vogue in the 1800's- it's main proponent an UNDERTAKER. People say "Atkins is a Doctor... he should know".. I know of another proven weight loss program driven by a Doctor.. from the 1940's... what was the guy's name? Oh yea... Josef Mengle....