Thread: The Greatness of Southern Kung Fu

The Greatness of Southern Kung Fu

Guys,

Let's try again with the topic of the awe inspiring Tiger Claw.

for all practitioners in tiger claw, how does the tigher claw differ from the dragon claw?

To be precise, how far do your fingers extend to show your opponent that you are indeed about to strike them with a tiger claw or dragon claw?

How differently does it hurt? I've heard that the dragon claw gives a burning sensation whereas the tiger claw leaves claw marks on the flesh

What is the difference between the tiger claw and the tiger paw? Is it the use of the nails to scratch the opponent and let them bleed slowly to death?

Do you announce the claw that you're using before going into a fight?

Because in Southern Mantis, ppl are very concerned with the shap of their hands and may spend the first year perfecting that shape?

Do you guys visit the zoo to observe the movement of tigers or tattoo yourselves to look more like a tiger?

Oh Southern Kung Fu is great. Saying otherwise may see my thread removed from the forum again!

Ego Energize!
    Maximus Maximize!

Waidan Guest

*yawn*

I actually went so far as to have ACTUAL tiger claws grafted on to my arms. They are spring-loaded, and shoot off when I deem it appropriate.

Useless posts are faaaaaantastic.

GreyMystik Guest

bwahahhahahahahahah

that's pretty funny man... grafted on your arms... roflmao

hey, i wonder if i got stripes tattooed on my body if i could embody the stealth of the tiger and therefore make Ashida Kim's astral spies look like bumbling fools? ;)

Waidan Guest
    Tattooing isn't required. I think the Monks of Old just used a Sharpie.

Kung Lek Guest
    hi-

I think you have asked a couple of pretty good questions actually, so with what little I know, I will attempt to give you a viable answer.

Tiger claw (Fu Jow) differs from Dragon Claw (Lung Jow) in execution and form.

Tiger Claw has the fingers bent into arcs and when used to strike, the Tiger Claw strikes with the palm. When the strike is landed the fingers close and the claw then Tears at the flesh it has struck as it is pulled away again.

Dragon Claw is not used for striking per se but rather is used for grabbing and twisting.
    Dragon Palm is the Strike and resembles willow leaf palm except for the striking area in the Dragon Palm which uses the palm heel as well as the cup. The fingers are not curled like the Tiger Claw but they are slightly (very) bent into an arc.

Tiger Paw, well, I am a Tiger Stylist and I have not heard of this. Perhaps it is a variated Leopard Fist (Pao Choy). Another thought is that Eagle Claw resembles Tiger claw in a fashion but the fingers are closed tighter in Eagle Claw than with Tiger claw.

hope this helps
    peace

Kung Lek

Juggler Guest
    Ego wrote:
    "Because in Southern Mantis, ppl are very concerned with the shape of their hands and may spend the first year perfecting that shape?"

Bullsh!t.
    Accuracy is emphasised, but the shape of the hands don't take a year to perfect. Usually, the correct shape can be attained within several hours of routine training - not just nitpicking hand shapes.

tnwingtsun Guest

LOL

Go ask David Caradine,
    he is here to help

Hand Shape

Juggler,

Yes it's true that it may take an hour or two to form the correct hand shape in Southern Mantis,

However, can you maintain the correct shape when you strike the target. Unless you're well trained, the impact will corrupt the shape of the hand as it hits the target. If that happens it would be disrespectful for your sifu and bring great shame upon your school.

Needless to say, god forbid if because of your hand shpe your mistaken for something like wing chun.

To prevent the possibility of misunderstanding, as a Southern Mantis Instructor I insist on my students to practice Bork Choy every day.

Bork Choy involves the tradition equipment of a block of blue stone. On which you pour the traditional Dit Dar medicine. Then you form the appropriate hand shape and strike the block repeatedly. In time, your bones and skin will be hardened into the shape of the mantis fist.

Why is it called Bork Choy? Well Bork is the sound of the impact if you're hitting the stone correctly. Choy is a swear word in cantonese because it hurts. It's like saying Sh!t, this F@cken hurts.

Ego Energize!
    Maximus Maximize!

Kung Lek Guest
    <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Why is it called Bork Choy? Well Bork is the sound of the impact if you're hitting the stone correctly. Choy is a swear word in cantonese because it hurts. It's like saying Sh!t, this F@cken hurts.

[/quote]

Uh... I hope you are joking because this statement is highly erroneus.
    I have no idea what "bork" means, but "choy" is a reference to "Fist" in cantonese dialect.

peace

Kung Lek

MoQ Guest
    C'mon, why do you guys give this idiot the time of day? This little fool is probably about 16(of course this category goes up to under 25)... He is simply too immature to see that he's making an a$$ of himself and only advertizing his ignorance... ahhh the inexplicable arrogance of Youth... 'twas bliss to believe that all that is known at a time is all that is knowable...

joedoe Guest

Ego Maximus

Ahhh, my old friend. I see you are still stirring up sh!t on the forum.

So you are a Southern Mantis instructor? How do you do that from a wheelchair? You must be so talented.

And suddenly you claim to use dit da, when in the "Duty of Care" thread in the Training and Health forum you 1) claimed you'd never heard of it and 2) doubted its efficacy.

Ooops, hang on, are you taking the pi$$ again?

BTW, I love the Bork Choy one - made me laugh so hard I nearly shat myself.

Guns don't kill people, I kill people

Juggler Guest
    My dear EGO Maximus...

Bork Choy?!

:confused:

I know of Gow Choi and Gok Choi. But not a 'Bork' Choy! At which level of training do you learn a 'Bork' Choy?

I'll be sure to ask my instructor next time.

In another thread, didn't you say you're disabled? And now you're a Southern Mantis instructor? :eek:

Fish of Fury Guest
    i'm pretty sure bork choy is a type of green vegetable!

SwiftKill Guest

Ego Max, You are such a Dumb A_ss!

From your question, I can see why your topic thread was removed from the forum. You are better off playing games on your computer than playing games here on the forum.

SwiftKill

Brad Guest
    This topic is actaully pretty funny!
    <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> I actually went so far as to have ACTUAL tiger claws grafted on to my arms. They are spring-loaded, and shoot off when I deem it appropriate. [/quote]
    That's the funniest thing I've read in a long time! lol :D
    Actually, that's a good idea for a comic series...