Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Nunchaku

thenumchukhobbit is one of my favorite ma websites. Thanks for bringing him back, Golden Arms.
    All my fight strategy is based on deliberately injuring my opponents. -
    Crippled Avenger

"It is the same in all wars; the soldiers do the fighting, the journalists do the shouting, and no true patriot ever get near a front-line trench, except on the briefest of propoganda visits...Perhaps when the next great war comes we may see that sight unprecendented in all history, a jingo with a bullet-hole in him."

First you get good, then you get fast, then you get good and fast.

Almost be worth it to see him try wrist rolls this those.

South FL. Which is not to be confused with any part of the USA
    one of my points, becca.

I've trained with them from a chinese perspective and a japanese perspective.

If you go to my website there's a pic of me getting the crap wrenched out of me by the japanese style teacher on the photo page.

From him I learned that japanese styles usually had longer sticks and shorter cord/chain

in the chinese method it was shorter sticks and longer chain, but only as long as your palm is wide.
    "George never did wake up. And, even all that talking didn't make death any easier...at least not for us. Maybe, in the end, all you can really hope for is that your last thought is a nice one...even if it's just about the taste of a nice cold beer."

"If you find the right balance between desperation and fear you can make people believe anything"

"Is enlightenment even possible? Or, did I drive by it like a missed exit?"

It's simpler than you think.

I could be completely wrong"

What's your website, adress?

"George never did wake up. And, even all that talking didn't make death any easier...at least not for us. Maybe, in the end, all you can really hope for is that your last thought is a nice one...even if it's just about the taste of a nice cold beer."

"If you find the right balance between desperation and fear you can make people believe anything"

goto the flash site, the html site is boring

Thazz how I was thought measure a new pair, as well.

Off on a tangent.

Oppinions on chain vs. rope?

I have always used chain, but the last two pair I've baught seem flimsy. My current pair, I've only had for two months and the swivel is already getting loose.
    I have been thinking of getting a pair of roap ones. But I've heard that it can be hard to adjust from one to the other. Has anyone tryed switching? What would you say are the pros and cons?

still on topic I think.

I have a pair of octagonal maple chucks that I bought circa 1985. There used to be a patented chain swivel w/ a proprietary name.
    They rock. I just hit them with a little teflon spray every once in a while.

I have not purchased a chain set since then but I can only imagine the decrease in quality.

the string set I had to get for the japanese guy had some cheap nylon that I immediately replaced with some of that kevlar rope you can get from a climbing store. super strong!

If you replicate the factory stringing method it can be difficult to adjust. but, I would still do so because if it is the multiply strung method where there are 2 or 3 courses of the string running through the sticks then it is very strong. I use a fisherman's knot to tie them off as I can usually make the knot small enough to tuck back into the string groove on the stick.

oops, just reread your message and realized you asked about adjusting from one type to the other and not adjusting the strings oh, well, I'm not erasing all of that beautiful prose.

IMO, it is a very definite switch between the two methods I have learned. But, I think it has to do with the length of the rods and the length of the connecting material and not string vs. chain.

I'm not training w/ the japanese stylist anymore so I lengthened the string on those to match the length of the chain on my old ones and can go back and forth easily.

"string vs. chain."
    It tends to be a little easier to smoothly swing the string ones than get a good looking fluid swing on chain ones. I have both, But the main thing with chain ones now, Make sure that the brace holding the chain to the bearing is an I brace (looks like it got smashed on both sides, so it wont slip out) If you buy the others with just a little piece of metal holding the chains on, they tend to shoot off. and they fly, really, really straight. Like a dart. So be careful.

Oh yeah, my Chain ones are heavy ass redwood, bout 1 1/2 lb apiece, maybe 1 lb, and my nylon rope ones are like about 1/8 lb.

I like Red Oak, myself. I hate to admit I bought the last set only because they have a lovely dragon carving on them. They are very smooth and well ballenced, but the rod is a bit short for my taste. And I only buy the good ones. (thought I did, anyway. )

My problem is, it isn't the swivel that keeps breaking. I know chain ones are known for that. It is the "I" brace itself.

oak is a bit brittle. maple has a bit more flex but I think is harder to find these days. I havn't shopped for any in a long time.

hmm, let's see...where oh where might I shop for some nunchaku???

Gotta tell ya, going into my 20th year since I mastered the weapon, nothing is faster than rope (roap??? ). A chain will never flex the way rope does, kids. Chains are for bikers that can't fight!

I guess I have been eduacated by this post. I have always considered the Nunchaku as a Japanese weapon, despite Bruce's exhibition in Enter the Dragon and Game of Death.

Can't say I've actually noticed a difference in wood for the handles, but Octagon is the way to go. So much easier to hang onto!
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Copyright 2003 - African Tiger Inc., a Nevada yada yada yada. Any reproduction...oh, to hell with that round kick, my knees are killing me. How about a nice Iron Palm to the nuts, sonny?

ok, our benefactors first.

http://store.yahoo.com/martialartsmart/nunchaku.html

this site looks pretty cool if you you are a okinawan stylee.

I always thought the idea of kicking azz with a paddle was cool, especially after I became a raft guide.

http://www.okiadventures.com/

this site is the only one i've seen w/ a repair chain/ball bearing assembly.

lot's out there, all pretty much the same, I found the Speedchuck(tm) which is what mine are. I would only buy a Speedchuck(tm) chain nunchaku. (where's my money?)

Otherwise, I think I would buy the maple one's from the okinawan site.

AT, '20th year' since you mastered them??? you can't be much older than I am.

I agree, the plain octagonal ones are best.

By itself, rope will of course twist better than the chain but in combination with a good bb swivel it doesn't need to. Plus, against a blade, I want the chain.

However, I put a kevlar rope on my roped chucks for better resistance to cutting.