Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Nunchaku

the fancy stuff can be fun though and it helps you get more compfortable with the weapon. I only know 3 section staff so can't reallly help w/ nunchuk

Ryukyu...

The nunchaku is an integral implement in Okinawan Kobudo/Kobujutsu (weapons way/art). Find a good book on Okinawan Kobudo or ask a BB Okinawan stylist if he knows and can teach you a nunchaku kata. The Shorin styles specialize in Kobudo as does Okinawan S h i t o Ryu. The Goju styles and Japanese styles (Shotokan, Wado Ryu) do not concentrate on Kobudo as much (or at all).

The true application of 'chux not only includes whipping strikes but also a lot of trapping and grappling bunkai. I doubt that Escrima/Arnis/Kali could teach you the traditional use of an Okinawan implement. They specialize in Filipino weapons (ie: balisong, criss dagger, 1 or 2 sticks, etc.).

If you have soft trees (ex:banana trees) or a heavy bag that can take some abuse, you can practice striking and retrieval, and how to avoid striking yourself on the recoil. Spinning the chux also takes practice, but true nunchaku forms don't overdoe it with the constant spinning.

Remember if you wanna learn real nunchaku forms find a Shorin Ryu BB. Bruce Lee learned from Tadashi Yamas h i t a (it's ridiculous that I have to type his name like this to avoid the asterisks), a Shorin Ryu- Shorinkan weapons expert.
    Last edited by omegapoint; 09-04-2002 at 03:56 AM.

nunchaku

Light padded ones for beginners. Any thoughts about this? I'm still new to this so I'm hitting myself a lot. Namely, the tips of my fingers. This serves to make me timid about the swings. The more timid I am about them, the more I hit myself.

So I thought I should get some light, padded ones and get profficient with them before moving on the the heavy, solid ones.

But then I wonder how much good that will do me since the weight difference will be significant. Maybe it will be so different when I move on to the real ones that having practiced with the padded ones will have done me no good.

Thoughts?
    Last edited by eulerfan; 12-13-2002 at 02:09 PM.
    He who establishes his argument by noise and command shows that his reason is weak. - Montaigne

Get a 3 section staff instead...
    http://store.yahoo.com/martialartsmart/25-33.html
    they are much cooler....

you could always weight the chucks yourself too.
    practice wu de

Actually I bored everyone to death. Even Buddhist and Taoist monks fell asleep.....SPJ

Forums are no fun if I can't mess with your head. Or your colon...
    uh-oh, I hope no one quotes me on that....Gene Ching

I'm not Normal.... RD on his crying my b!tch left me thread

I've only futzed around with a friends set of nunchaku (not to be confused with the ultimate weapon - numbchuks!) but they were easy enough that I didn't feel any need to work with the padded ones, and went straight to the solid wood dealies.

On the other hand, I've futzed around even less with the foam padded three-section-pole at my school, and I'm D@MN glad it was foam padded and hollow. Man, that was a lot more complicated.

Da Biz is right, though. The three section pole is much more tres b!tchen'. Probably because it's more complicated.
    All my fight strategy is based on deliberately injuring my opponents. -
    Crippled Avenger

"It is the same in all wars; the soldiers do the fighting, the journalists do the shouting, and no true patriot ever get near a front-line trench, except on the briefest of propoganda visits...Perhaps when the next great war comes we may see that sight unprecendented in all history, a jingo with a bullet-hole in him."

First you get good, then you get fast, then you get good and fast.

I learned on non-padded ones when I was in Karate way back when. You just have to go slow at first and get a feel for it. Even when you get good you still whack yourself pretty good sometimes...

yea im with red on this (what?!?!?did I say that? jks )

I did/do ot the same way, start on non padded nuchuckus, then it wont be such a pain as you will get used to it and learn faster (the whole pain-->learning thing), thus avoiding hitting yourself.

Well thats just one way, I suppose using padded ones to start with can be beneficial in some ways, but the thing that bothers me is that you wont be ready for the knocks of the normal ones and it definately feels different to me, If I learnt on padded I'd have to then get used to using normal ones, when I couls have gone straight-risking a few bruised elbows and knuckles.....

sorry i'm babbling on

soul
    Visit the Site -
    www.buddha-fist.com

Thumbs up Nunchaku swings

Anyone know of any links showing different nunchaku swings?
    (not basic boring ass crap, I want to learn some more fancy twirls and sh!t...)
    Already have lots of spins... so... I dunno. Just want to learn more.

Is nunchaku part of your guys curriculm? Or is it just something yu do on the side?
    practice wu de

Actually I bored everyone to death. Even Buddhist and Taoist monks fell asleep.....SPJ

Weapons in our curriculum-
    Bo staff
    Nunchaku
    Double Nunchaku
    Dagger
    Double Dagger
    Short stick
    drunken stick and bowl
    Single broadsword
    Double Broadsword
    Single Tai Chi Sword
    Kwandao
    Tiger Hook Swords
    Sai
    9 Section Chain Whip
    3 Sectional staff later I believe...

We do staff (short and long)
    broadsword
    straight sword
    fan
    spear
    tiger hooks...

no soft or flexible weapons no one was teaching it at the time my teacher wanted to do them where he wanted to learn them ....

So, I'm waiting for someone to dig up the link to that nunchaku guy in the red gi... or was it yellow? The real ****y guy....
    practice wu de

NP,

Nunchaku spins are part of the curriculum from blue to green sash and then green to 3rd brown sash but there are no forms, per se. My sifu has some single and double nunchuku forms, but they are not required for rank advancement.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oso View Post
    AND, yea, a good bit of it is about whether you can fight with what you know...kinda all of it is about that.

-Golden Arms-

OK, so I was wrong about the gi... but I don't think I'll ever forget that guys face (or size of head)....

numb chucks.... sounds like slang for cold feet....lol.....
    practice wu de

South FL. Which is not to be confused with any part of the USA
    that's it...I'm changing the font on my website...

that guy is really confused...long rope and long stick
    "George never did wake up. And, even all that talking didn't make death any easier...at least not for us. Maybe, in the end, all you can really hope for is that your last thought is a nice one...even if it's just about the taste of a nice cold beer."

"If you find the right balance between desperation and fear you can make people believe anything"

"Is enlightenment even possible? Or, did I drive by it like a missed exit?"

It's simpler than you think.

I could be completely wrong"